Author Topic: Favorite Ice Jig for panfishing (Crappie/Gills) in Kansas waters.  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Marmyshka man

• IceShanty Rookie
So lets get the ball rolling Kansas!! ;D What is your favorite jig ans size for catching crappie/gills through the ice?  ???

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
I first go with the same thing's as open water. You know the old saying big lure big fish. So 1" to 2" tube jigs, bobby garland shad and panfish assassins. Chartreuse and another color like pink, purple is usually go to colors. If they are finicky I will go to small ice jigs like a moon glow crappie set from jammin jigs. I went fishing today but had to use a boat as surface temp was 37F, this is on the second largest lake in KS. Caught some decent fish with the largest @ 14". Cold front settling in for next week with night temps maybe getting in the single digits, so maybe it will freeze up.

Bluegill fishing is KS is just not something many people do especially on the large lake's. I have one small community lake @ 450 acres that has nice bull bluegill but the fuhrer has to deem the ice safe before you can get to where they should be. I got run off it last year with a goon yelling at me from the shore. I ignored him for a few minutes ;D

I was able to catch several walleye @ this small lake last year doing what I coined Kansas ice fishing. This involves drilling holes off the side of docks that they dont pull and setting up that way. I would go after work as the crappie and walleye would not move in till after sunset.         

Offline Marmyshka man

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for being the first to chime in Flint!
I too subscribe to the big lure,big fish thinking. Why scale it down until the fish tell me to.
I myself like to start out with a 1/8 oz Lindy Frostee spoon Chartreuse/lime tipped with plastics,waxies or maggots.
When I scale down I switch to Tungsten marmyshka jigs in green, orange or black tipped with plastics or maggots.
I have seen Kansas ice fishing quite a few times visiting a few local ponds/lakes it made me chuckle, but it makes sense its better to be safe than sorry and it is structure after all. I don't have much confidence in tube jugs but I will give them a try this hard water season as you seem to have done quite well with them. Thanks again for the post and best of luck this ice season!

Tight lines to ya!!!  :tipup:

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tube jigs are the #1 crappie catcher in these parts. On the smaller lake I mentioned above normally gives off smaller crappie and does not have the 10" length limit like most lakes and usually requires ice jigs and 2lb test to catch anything. Its also a high pressure area. I bought a marmooska jig set and some custom jigs and spins tungsten jigs to try there this year.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I usually have my best luck with size 14 jig hooks tipped with Waxies or Golden rod grubs, spring bobber, and 2# line
Bud

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
 We start out with 1/8  & 1/4 oz jigs  white & char. with lots of diff colors of tubes. Somedays one color is better than others. Goodluck  & hope to see you on the ice.

Dan Siegfried
 St.Francis,Ks.

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well back in PA i had a lot of luck with Maki plastics and Gill Pills. But perhaps the cheapest and best was simply a gold jig with a straight piece of plastic clipped off a cheat fuzzy ball from dollar store. Once caught about 45 gills in about 1 1/2 hours on them.
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline Rope

• IceShanty Rookie
I go for a CJS Ratso or a Rat Finkee.
Freedom is NOT free...

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've been ice fishing there a few times and I was surprised to find people using 1/8-1/4 oz jigs with crappie tubes. When I went out, I started with the small ice jigs I was catching fish with in NE and couldn't ever get anything to bite until I upsized to the bigger jig heads and tubes. Crazy fun!
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline Jesse-C

• IceShanty Rookie
Curious where KS guys get waxies in the winter?

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dales Fish and Fun  in Oberlin Ks.

Offline Jesse-C

• IceShanty Rookie
That's a long drive from Abilene. Haha!

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why don't all you fellows post your location on your profile so we know where you are from.. ;D ;D

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why don't all you fellows post your location on your profile so we know where you are from.. ;D ;D
What he said. Easier to make contacts and trade info.

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
Valley Center, here.

My favorite go-to jig is the Custom jigs and spins diamond jig, tipped with either a waxworm, maggots, or a Northland slug bug tail.  Have had great luck on these as well as a gill pill. 

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is that you Tyson?  :)

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
Uh oh, you caught me!  Can't hide anywhere anymore. LOL  Glad to see you here too.

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like a Jammin jigs Tiger Jig tipped with an Ice Mite or Ice Mite Jr. from J&S Custom Jigs. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.