Author Topic: Upside down, inside out hooks  (Read 585 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Upside down, inside out hooks
« on: Sep 17, 2020, 08:38 PM »
So what's going on?

I fish a tiny (public) Natural Resources District flood control lake, chock full of 7 inch bluegill and 9 inch crappie.

I generally throw a 1/32 oz leadhead jig with a 1 inch Gulp minnow. It's a sure thing. Some times (like today), almost every fish is hooked in the bottom lip with the barb sticking out the bottom of the jaw. Huh?!?

I make sure my jigs hang horizontally, and reset the body as needed.

So what gives? Are they coming up from depth and rolling back down? I'm hooking 'em on the turn?

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Upside down, inside out hooks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2020, 01:12 AM »
More than likely the fish is hitting the actual jig head, not the bait, and the hook is positioned below its mouth. You set the hook and physics takes over. Speaking of physics, a 1/32 jig head is very light. It could be that the gulp minnow is too large and is throwing off the trajectory of the jig when the fish takes it making it go off to one side or another. It could also be what you said but I rarely see that many aggressive gills in the same school, certainly not enough to cause a problem.

I’d start by making sure the bait is appropriately sized for the size jig head you are using. Then, make sure that the bait is threaded on the hook nice and straight and even. Then, and most importantly, fish are rather stupid creatures. Even the really smart ones are pretty dumb. Like you said, they could just be hitting the jig really weird. However, your problem seems to often for that unless your lake just has some angry gills. I’d chock it up to bait/jig orientation though, in my experience. I fish super small/ light baits too. I like to use top-water foam insects with a casting bubble on my UL spinning setup. I get all sorts of weird hookups using that. My favorite is when the hook goes clean through the nostrils like a bull-ring. It’s like they were just smelling it a little too hard lol.

A lot of people probably won’t care too much about this next bit but, in my state anyways, being hooked anywhere but in  the mouth is considered a “foul hook” and the fish doesn’t count towards any limit and must be released immediately and is unlawful to do otherwise. Just something to keep in mind if applicable to your area which I’m sure it is in most areas.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2020, 03:58 AM »
I have found that when you hook them in the bottom lip they are in a negative mood and are not biting to feed but it is more of a slower reaction type bite. seen this one winter when fishing crappie on my one local lake. it can also happen on up bites because they are actually picking up the hook and get hooked as they rise up with the hook in there mouth. you can tell if it is a up bite because your line will go a little slack or if you are using a float it will rise up instead of going under water like with a positive aggressive type bite.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2020, 07:39 AM »
No clue, like hooking in the chin or in the arm pit...I mean hooking them in the ventral fin.  You'd think the fish was using it's fins like hands to play with the lure.

Then there's the one where they somehow are able to tie a knot into your line.  Really when did a fish learn to swim in such a way to tie a knot into the line?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Going with the up bite theory...you may be able to see or detect it as long as your set up is balanced ..light line.. soft sensitive tip etc .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.