Author Topic: Battery Power Box  (Read 8496 times)

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Battery Power Box
« on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:36 PM »
I have watched video after video on YouTube, researched in here and all that.

I am wondering if anyone has done a build lately and has a material list, pricing, etc. on an ammo box type power box that has usb power slots, switches for everything, battery posts, volte meter, and all that.

Reason I am asking is I was just in the Lithium Battery group buy and now am wanting a power box to use that battery and help power my stuff.

Any help/ideas/comments are appreciated. Need to work on the ice fishing stuff to pass the time till we get some ice!

Thanks!
Thanks,
Paul in Palmyra, Nebraska

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Battery Power Box
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:22 PM »
keep searching this site ...one member had a pretty good set up with a list of parts ...from Amazon I believe .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2017, 09:06 AM »
So I finally got my batter power box built and done...for now until I add more stuff haha!

I used the post below posted by JaminWI that was a link to an original post by BartB. I also got some help privately by BartB over email which was awesome.

I also used a YouTube video for some inspiration and a lot of help on the wiring side. That video is called "How to Build a 12v Portable Power Box" by JDS Outdoors. It was really very helpful when it came to the wiring.

I purchased a ammo box with a flip top shallow lid for storage (which I used to house my switches and plugs) from a local Tractor supply and then just picked up the rest of my electrical necessities from the local hardware store. For the switches/plugs/what not I got everything from Amazon.
Switches - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B86Z94/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
USB w/ VoltMeter - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0GR0FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
USB - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPSY4RY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fuse Block - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012CQFWJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I realize that when some one of you view this you may take some issues with the wiring LOL, but I am not an electrician and did the best I could do and what my patience would allow. Thanks for taking the time to look and hope this can help some of you down the road!

Thanks,

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Looks great Mooncat!  :clap:

I especially like what you did with the lights on the outside.  Happen to have a link to which ones you used?

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Jamin I just got some from the local Tractor Supply but I was going to get these from Amazon, but already had bought 3 of them so I just went with the ones I had bought (even though this would have been a wayyyy cheaper route)

https://smile.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Daytime-Reverse-Backup-Parking/dp/B018G5MY5O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508768586&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+led+eagle+eye
Thanks,

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Jammin, also check out Hot system led lights, I think I bought them on amazon.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:42 PM »
Whats the final cost on that bad boy?

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Without the battery involved I got the box done and everything bought for right around $50
Thanks,

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I built one similar a few years ago, I think I spent like $70 or so on everything and I had free batteries.  I haven't used it once due to no limited ice here in Ohio lol.  Your setup looks good though!  Should be nice and light with that battery.  Nice work.

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Thanks RStock
Thanks,

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:14 PM »

This is one I purchased about a month  ago and it works great I hope the pics help
FISH ON!🎣

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:25 PM »
The video by JDS Outdoors is by far one of the best videos for someone wanting to put a box together.  Most of the parts are all available on Amazon. 

I ended up building one after watching his video. 

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:10 PM »
There's some very nice power boxes out there now for sale, at a reasonable price, and with lithium batteries.  I found some dandies on Ice Hole Power . com website. 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:34 PM »
I know it’s each to their own, but I think some of these have way too much stuff on them.  :)    I can get everything I need with one or two cigarette lighter sockets and one set of external poles.   To me the voltmeter is pointless with lithium batteries because by the time the voltage drops it’s basically too late to do anything about it and I don’t need any switches either, why not keep everything hot (except lights I guess)?   Also isn’t a junction/fuse box overkill?  Isn’t one inline fuse at the power source enough?   I don’t know, just my observations.

On a side note, if you keep things to a minimum inside these ammo boxes,  there is plenty of room to wire (2) 10ah batteries in parallel for double the capacity. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.