Author Topic: Issue with my pop up shack  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Sniper18leafs

• IceShanty Rookie
Issue with my pop up shack
« on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Hey everyone. So i just noticed in my hut that theres a hole in where the hub adaptor is. Looks like it was punched out but was in the wrong spot and was moved. Will this get worse if so how do i fix it
Thanks

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Issue with my pop up shack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:41 PM »
my guess is that  it will get worse in time. is this new? If so, I would contact the people that you bought it from.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:51 PM »
my guess is that  it will get worse in time. is this new? If so, I would contact the people that you bought it from.

That and if they tell you to go pack sand, just get some shoe goo and put it on, its how i have fixed holes and crap like that on my well loved popups with great success.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:18 PM »

I have used Gorilla  clear tape  on small holes and wear spots with success
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Hey everyone. So i just noticed in my hut that theres a hole in where the hub adaptor is. Looks like it was punched out but was in the wrong spot and was moved. Will this get worse if so how do i fix it
Thanks

Is there any way you could put a vey large washer on both sides of it that would cover the hole......maybe do a washer......shoe goop.....washer sandwich to seal the hole and prevent it from further wear.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2017, 01:59 PM »
that looks pretty bootleg to me.lol..if that's a new shelter I would send it back and buy another brand.if that company passed that work on down the line I wouldn't expect that much out of that shelter.i believe your right the hub was in the wrong spot and just moved over.ooops.

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2017, 02:17 PM »
I’m in the process of repairing/reinforcing all the hub points on one of my shelters-5 seasons of battling wicked winds has taken its toll.
 Adding big washers will work as long as you never plan on taking your hub shelter down and putting it in a bag-the washers prevent the hub poles from folding up like they should so you can roll up & pack.
 I’ve now have two pieces of 2” wide nylon web strap 6” long reinforcing inside & out at each hub. I melted 3/8” holes through the webbing and set #2 brass long shank grommets in them & now working on stitching the webbing together. I used super high strength spray adhesive to place the webbing and it’s holding great on its own but want the added strength of sewing them together in place-hopefully this will keep the shelter going a few more seasons as it’s a nice size(quickfish 3) Should be ready to go at 1st ice in a few weeks.
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline Sniper18leafs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Funny thing is, It is brand new but it was a replacement shelter from my warrenty lol

ByteN2it would you happen to have any pictures on your process?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2017, 09:36 PM »
Funny thing is, It is brand new but it was a replacement shelter from my warrenty lol

ByteN2it would you happen to have any pictures on your process?

If they sent that has a replacement I'd be on the phone getting a different one

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:25 PM »
So they send a refurbished one to you on a warranty replacement 'eh?  Sounds like the cellphone insurance people are taking over ice fishing gear!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:58 PM »
I’m in the process of repairing/reinforcing all the hub points on one of my shelters-5 seasons of battling wicked winds has taken its toll.
 Adding big washers will work as long as you never plan on taking your hub shelter down and putting it in a bag-the washers prevent the hub poles from folding up like they should so you can roll up & pack.
 I’ve now have two pieces of 2” wide nylon web strap 6” long reinforcing inside & out at each hub. I melted 3/8” holes through the webbing and set #2 brass long shank grommets in them & now working on stitching the webbing together. I used super high strength spray adhesive to place the webbing and it’s holding great on its own but want the added strength of sewing them together in place-hopefully this will keep the shelter going a few more seasons as it’s a nice size(quickfish 3) Should be ready to go at 1st ice in a few weeks.

You deserve an award for making a hub shack last 5 years. I used mine one day and never again.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline sask_sloughshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2017, 12:27 AM »
If it gets to the point where it rips through the fabric just add a large washer made from flexible plastic on the outside, I just cut some out of old Rubbermaid containers or something like that

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2017, 12:22 PM »
No photos at this time but I can take some when I resume work on it this weekend-Also reworked the grommets on the four anchor points on the corners that were beat up pretty good. I ran out of the long shank grommets & still have two more spots to do but have a plan B that I’ll post with photos. I believe it’s very important to have that metal grommet & reinforcing in place for these to hold up in strong winds we seem to have regularly in Colorado-if I didn’t have these shelters there’s a lot of wicked windy days I probably wouldn’t have fished.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2017, 09:05 AM »
You deserve an award for making a hub shack last 5 years. I used mine one day and never again.

Wow that's amazing.  Goes to show why they still make all the different types of shack, 'cause we are all different.  Some days I wish my QF6 hub would wear out so I could have a better excuse to upgrade.  Might have to give it to my son, who would love to have it.  We really like the hub shelters and I'm on about year 7 with mine.  Only one problem ever, when we were folding it up in 35+mph winds and pulled a grommet through the fabric.  I was with a newbie helping me and I know how it happened and I'm pretty sure I can avoid it if I'm in a similar circumstance.  That damage was repaired with nylon webbing, and a new grommet, similar to ByteN2it.  I may be able to post a pic of that repair soon.

Going strong, looks like new, and we even overnight in it sometimes.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2017, 12:49 PM »

I'm going on year 4 with my Clam BigFoot XL4000T and it's like brand new. I love the thing! Considering a flip over this year but will still have the hub for party days on the ice. Thing is awesome.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Got back to working on my shelter & came up with a good fix-I was having issues with the grommets not being long enough to go through the shelter fabric plus two layers of webbing. The fix was to use threaded rod for making lamps. I soldered a nut on that was threaded on flush & then cut the rod about 3/8" long, pushed it through the patch an put a nut & washer on, tightened the hell out of it & trimmed the rod flush-as good if not better than any grommet. Also sprayed some Permitex rubber undercoat spray on all the inside seams & hubs for reinforcing. It's tight as a drum & ready for a few more seasons.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Great idea, looks good!  :clap:

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2017, 02:11 PM »
I'll keep this one in the memory bank!  Good repair.  Thanks for the photos

Jason

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Just run it as is .  No need to worry

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2017, 04:36 PM »
A hub pulled through on mine after a few years use.
I bought some large rubber washers from the hardware store to fix it.
Worked great and I can still fold it up and fit it back in the original bag as the rubber bends to accommodate folding.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2017, 05:46 PM »
HH66 Vinyl cement. It's used to glue vinyl semi truck tarps together. This stuff is GOOD!
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2017, 07:39 PM »

10 years on my Clam Base Camp. That thing has been through hell and back. I reinforced the support pockets by sewing them up with 100# braided fishing line and it didn’t need it. It was a preventative thing on my part.

That thing has been used a ton. Has gotten caught in the wind and went for a ride, no cracked windows, no broken poles, just a bit faded.

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:39 AM »
10 years on my Clam Base Camp. That thing has been through hell and back. I reinforced the support pockets by sewing them up with 100# braided fishing line and it didn’t need it. It was a preventative thing on my part.

That thing has been used a ton. Has gotten caught in the wind and went for a ride, no cracked windows, no broken poles, just a bit faded.

I have about the same time on my Clam Base Camp.  No issues other than the black out inside needing a touch up. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I have about the same time on my Clam Base Camp.  No issues other than the black out inside needing a touch up.

Flex seal works great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.