Author Topic: Transducer tip  (Read 598 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Transducer tip
« on: Oct 14, 2017, 10:35 PM »
I got tired of my transducer moving aroundin  the hole when the wind blows and any of half dozen things that effect it because it hangs below that chunk of foam float.  I used a few pieces of 1 inch pvc and a couple elbows and a "t" to make a 1 foot x 16 inch   by a foot (depending on the thickness of the ice) and put the 3 elbows facing down on the ends of the tubes to stableise the contraption.  I painted it black so the Sun can warm it up.   I taped the transducer on a down tube about a foot long into the water. 
With the power turned down low, I run my standard jig a foot or so off the bottom in about  the 50 feet I usually fish.   I then rotate the  contraption a little at a time until the jig shows up the strongest signature on the screen.  I do drill a second hole for the transducer so I don't have to pull it out of the hole every time I get a fish on.  I pull it out when I get a nice fish on just to  be safe.    By painting the gadget black, on most sunny days, the transducer hole stays thawed out even when the wind is blowing minor snow across the hole. My being a cobbler like most ice fishermen, I get great satisfaction from sucessfully making something that actually works well. 

Sorry, photobums stole all of my pictures.
Thread killer

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Transducer tip
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2017, 11:07 PM »
Sounds like a good idea on several fronts. Wind in Wyoming?Now I have heard it all!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Transducer tip
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:25 PM »
I like to put the transducer in a seperate hole also. But my LX-5 transducer doesn't need to go below the ice edge to see. So unless the fish swims up the transducer hole it'll be fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.