Author Topic: Tricking trailers?!  (Read 5717 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Tricking trailers?!
« on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Just picked up a new enclosed trailer for my sled and ‘stuff’.  What do you put on the floor? Thompson’s? Garage paint?  Lights? Storage? Fish cleaning area in the v nose? Let’s see some pics!! I got a 7x16 V nose so I’ve got a little room in there. Hang a hammock? 

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tricking trailers?!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:37 AM »
I picked up a new enclosed trailer a couple of months ago and after doing some research I settled on this stuff.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-120-oz-Gray-High-Gloss-Low-VOC-One-Car-Garage-Floor-Kit-301371/206495768

I painted all walls and floor. I did the walls first and then mixed in a bag of anti-skid compound before doing the floor and ramp door. Figured it would give me some grip after the ATV drags in snow and ice.

Overall happy with it but the result is only as good as the quality of the original OSB or plywood. My OSB walls were "flaking" a bit and once I started to roll this stuff on it pulled some of that up more than I would have preferred.

After that dried for a couple of days I then hung some e-track in the front V to hang a small basket, hooks, etc for tie-downs and wet clothing for the drive home.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:33 PM »
Any updated pics?  I just took delivery of a new trailer and looking for ideas for the inside.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2021, 07:42 AM »
Any updated pics?  I just took delivery of a new trailer and looking for ideas for the inside.

Show us a picture of the inside of your trailer so we know what you have to work with.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I put nothing on the floor of my trailers other than my snowmachine and flip shanty. It's meant to get beat on. I have however decked out the inside with E-track and shelves. Need to get some pics of the inside, not sure I have taken any. This is the outside anyway!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:34 AM »
If you plan on keeping the trailer for the long run, I would go and put a couple sheets of 1/2 inch ply on the floor to take up the damage from sled ski carbides and studs.  You only have to screw down the corners to keep them from sliding around.  If you use an ATV with chains, then a couple of thick rubber mats will suffice.  I added a couple of rows of coat hooks to keep clothes off the floor after changing.  A small folding chair is handy when changing clothes, keeps you from doing the one foot hop on the dry spot on the floor.  Basic white paint on the walls and ceiling makes it brighter inside.  I used cement/porch paint, oil based,  water runs right off.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:55 PM »
I did Thompson’s premium seal inside and cut stall mats for my studded sled track. Bought ski boots for the skis.  I’m also building some shelves in the nose.  Actually more of a table top with a couple drawers and storage space.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:34 PM »

Pretty much a blank slate.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:34 PM »

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Anyone using the Caliber edge transition to span the gap between the door and the floor?  Looking for comments if you have used it or another product like it.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:44 PM »
Thanks Snitch, I am planning on adding insulation.  I am researching loading lights for the rear.  I want them to be dual purpose so they will be switched as well as coming on with the trailers reverse lights.  Often I fish to well after dark so the load lights will help at the end of a long day.  I also would like more light when backing up.  Just trying to figure out the best way to wire it.

Offline coldoutside

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:20 PM »
I painted and caulked the bottom of my trailer floor under the trailer. Keeps water and snow from coming up from underneath. That white foam insulation works good for keeping it warm inside. Put 1/4 inch plywood over it and painted it white inside.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:19 PM »
Anyone using the Caliber edge transition to span the gap between the door and the floor?  Looking for comments if you have used it or another product like it.

I used those in my 2016 Neo (24' X 7.5' NAS) trailer on the rear and front ramps.  I thought they were somewhat of a pain to deal with, having to remember to flip them up when closing the doors, plus their expense.  I just bought a new 2021 Neo (27' X 7.5' NASX) trailer and am now using a piece of 2"pvc pipe to span the transition area when in use, much cheaper and easier to deal with.  I don't bother putting any plastic down inside the trailer since I don't run studs on the track, the floor it not hurt that much and it does not seem to hurt resale, significant cost savings.

Here is a picture of my old trailer that had the Caliber transition units.

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:44 AM »

I just put in the Edge guide II if thats what you are asking about. They work great, very high quality like all Caliber stuff

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2021, 10:09 AM »
I went a cheap route. Used an old track from a dealer's dumpster, and engineered decking for carbide guides.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2021, 07:47 AM »
I just finished the internal setup on my new 7' X 12' enclosed Ice Gear hauler. To protect the floor where the Snowdog with screw studs goes I bought a thick rubber Horse Stall mat at Tractor Supply, 4' X 6' and cut it in half. I will be painting/sealing the floor when the warm temps get here this spring. My large Otter Pro Resort flip fits on the bottom and the top fits the 2 man Clam Nanook for when I go alone or with one buddy. I could easily fit another 2 man flip up front through the side door along with lots of other gear if we go in a group. I hooked up an exterior to interior 120 outlet for the battery tender and a light while it is parked. Still a work in progress and open to any advice as this replaces an older snowmobile Clamshell that I hated.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2021, 12:17 PM »
I just got an enclosed trailer. A new Forest River Lightning Hybrid trailer. I had to buy it quicker than I liked because I bought a snowmobile on a road trip and had to haul it home. I thought I should share my impressions so far and maybe others have more to add for those still looking.

The good:
It is 13 feet long, and can take 2 huge sleds. It is over 8 feet wide inside, and about 5.5 feet tall, so no problems with high windscreens. All aluminum, and it looks great. There is an unloading light in back, and a light in front to address putting on the ski clamps. It has radial tires on 12 inch aluminum rims, along with a spare in a carrier inside the box. It has full ski guides and track mats. Since the 3 sleds are side by side, either can be removed separately. I had an open trailer, so now no more taking off/putting on slushy frozen covers on the sleds. Also, my tilt trailer was a little tough to load solo, since if the balance was not just right, it would either stay up or down when you needed it to tip. This has nice, long ramp/door with guides and traction mats. The empty trailer is pretty light- just over 1000 lb, so moving it around is no problem for my smaller ATV.

The bad:
It is 13 feet long, and I have older, short sleds. The tie downs only work in the very front, so I have more tongue weight than I need when loaded. I will put some gear in the back of the sleds to compensate. At 5.5 feet tall, you can almost stand, so are wacking your head every time you forget. It is so wide you need mirror extensions to have any idea what is behind you. I worry that the aluminum rims will corrode with the magnesium chlorite we use on the roads in winter, like any other, and the trailer frame will be attacked as well. The thing tows like a brick- My mileage went from 17 down to 9 on the interstate. It is wider and higher than I appreciated when I bought it. The door is less than 8 feet wide, so a 4 foot wide sled has to load with the inside ski over center, then angle back out to the wall, which does not happen naturally with grooved ski guides. It barely fits in my pole shed- 10X10s on 10' centers have just over 9' clear to back it through.

I was trying to buy a Triton TC167, which has a 7 foot wide 16 foot long box. The wheels are outside the box, which allows the floor to be about a foot lower. I estimate the frontal area at about 1/3 less, but it is mostly behind the tow vehicle, so I bet the drag is even better than that. They are rare, and I could never close the deal before I had to make a choice, and so I got this one. I know I will be happy with the space, and having a covered trailer, but if I had more time I think the stagger load would have been even better.

So far I pulled all the guides and tracks, and gave the wood 2 coats of water seal. I put the tracks in for my 2 sleds: 2009 Tundra and 2007 GTX. The Tundra fits with plenty of room, it is 36 inches wide. The GTX is still a work in progress. I put the guides in as per factory, but going up the ramp, the inside ski counts on using the guide from the other sled, which is now not there because it is so much narrower. I moved that guide over to the other side, so it can go up the ramp, but then I still need to go across the grain to get it in position to use the tiedown. I think I can install the guides for that sled at an angle and ride it right into position, so I will try that next.

I plan to move most of my sleds and other big gear into the trailer for summer storage, which is another advantage of this larger, enclosed trailer.
I have been looking at adding a diesel heater to let me bivouac in the trailer for overnights, and melt ice off the sleds on multi- day trips.
I also have seen slicker tie downs than the aluminum bar with threaded rod that I have, and wondered if anyone has a type they would recommend.
Also, who ties down the rear of the sleds in the enclosed trailer? How do you do it?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2021, 12:52 PM »
Trailers in and of themselves turn out to be a work of art as we try to get them set up for our specific needs. They all tend to have pros and cons no matter how much research you do. Bigger is almost always better but that too has its drawbacks in fuel consumption and travel ease. Mine is 7 feet wide but the wheels are outside of the enclosure so it has a foot print wider and I needed to buy extension strap on mirrors from Etrailer.com so I could see the sides. I see guys with similar hybrids like yours and they drive one sled in forward and back the second one in backwards which offsets the tongue weight issue and gives you more room for the ski width. With the 5.5' height you might be able to add a drop down shelf above the sleds so you could store a shanty sled above them.
Secure and mouse proof storage during the off season is a major plus not to mention leaving all that space in your garage or shed where it is normally stored. One addition I would highly recommend if it does not already have it is ventilation. Those are very inexpensive and pretty easy to install and it allows for drying as well as dissipating excessive heat in the summer. Having either plastic or rubber runners under the sled tracks is also a big plus. For tie downs you can buy pop up floor mounted D rings that install flat on the floor but pop up and work really well for our needs. Yes, I always secure the back end of sleds so they don't slide around if you hit a sharp curve. My last Triton clamshell trailer had a few dimples from stuff inside poking the thin aluminum when things got sliding.

Photos or it didn't happen! ;D

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:07 PM »
Since I can't get out on the ice yet, I continued to work on my new trailer:

Added vents high in front and low in back. My trailer reeked of gas when I went in this fall, and I am sure the temperature reached a hundred and many this summer. Snowmobile forums say this also helps with moisture build up from having wet sleds in back.

Built an emergency winch to get a disabled sled up in the trailer. I had to get my 2 up on a tilt trailer twice last year by muscle alone, and would not have been able to do it without help. The 4X4 cost more than the winch I got off Amazon Warehouse. Geez! wood has gotten expensive! It bolts into the front tie down threaded hole. and swings out of the way.

Added cleats to the ramp- I had a tough time getting the bigger sled back up the ramp when it was slick. These cleats are a nice design, and came with 75 stainless screws for $25

Finally, put in a couple of broom clips to hold my spud and a broom for clearing out the snow.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:55 PM »
Nice work Badger! Amazing what we can do while we are bored with no ice and the hunting and open water fishing goes away. I did the same with mine but just for a snow dog and a couple pop up shanties and lots of other gear. just waiting now for the ice to get thicker.

Offline Brian A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2022, 10:55 AM »

I have them for my sled trailer. They work great as do all Caliber products I have used

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:37 PM »
I was too busy in the off season and only managed to paint the ramp and deck.

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2022, 12:52 PM »
I screwed down oak strips on the nose door ramp, 2 over sled removable 2x6's with 4 eye hooks to ratchet down both flip over sleds, and fishing pole holders along the walls.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.