Author Topic: Auger for electric drill  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Auger for electric drill
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Advantage of composite is no ice up on the flights ..or can be easily removed..but for those infrequent days a quick spin atop the ice will remove most ice/slush/water on either material . But the metal parts can still be a lil issue on either set up.

I coat my Strike Master with this each season. Little to no ice buildup.
https://www.amazon.com/Slip-Plate-Plate%C2%AE-Aerosol-12-oz/dp/B005ESITFQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?adgrpid=55526130425&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA7939BRBMEiwA-hX5Jwb8sHmq33Gew01wm_j-HZ2tFltSH4er0ndc6GR1Hhsrrv5BBvLH6hoCLygQAvD_BwE&hvadid=410022504842&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9017467&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12143376465829895385&hvtargid=kwd-299108729218&hydadcr=12191_11119354&keywords=graphite+spray&qid=1605896421&sr=8-12&tag=hydsma-20
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Nov 20, 2020, 12:23 PM »
don't shy away from the yellow ones from frabill    they take laser curved blades

Frabill makes an auger ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:59 PM »

Welded a nut to the 6in mora so I could put a Strikemaster point on it. I’ll see how it works once we get ice.

$5 to do it.....seems like a cheaper and lighter way to get a point on an auger vs selling and getting a pistol for $150

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2020, 08:11 PM »
Frabill makes an auger ?
                     yes      mine is a 5 inch but I have seen the larger sizes before they are 2 piece

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2020, 08:15 PM »
                     yes      mine is a 5 inch but I have seen the larger sizes before they are 2 piece

I did not know that ..very new to me .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:27 AM »

Welded a nut to the 6in mora so I could put a Strikemaster point on it. I’ll see how it works once we get ice.

$5 to do it.....seems like a cheaper and lighter way to get a point on an auger vs selling and getting a pistol for $150

Great idea guys I have to try this my self..

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2020, 10:20 AM »
Do you have a video of how you drilled and tapped the mora? I've got a 6in and a 10in mora that I'd like to do it to. I actually have the center tip strikemaster sells which is threaded and wanted to put that in the center.
Don't have video but have pics. Center punch where you want point. Drill 1/4 pilot hole followed with 5/16 drill tap size. Tap hole with 3/8 hand tap. (Tap/drill set for $8 at Lows or Home Depot). I use washers for spacer to get proper tip height. I use Titanium or Cobalt hardened drill bits.
Welded nut also great idea. What size nut did you use.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Sweet!  Gonna do this today to my Mora.  Actually not doing it today. Got on EBAY and ordered a 2-pack of laser points for $24. When I get them Ill see what size/ thread is needed for the mod.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Sweet!  Gonna do this today to my Mora.  Actually not doing it today. Got on EBAY and ordered a 2-pack of laser points for $24. When I get them Ill see what size/ thread is needed for the mod.
When you put your blades back on, add  0.040 shim on the leading edge of the blade that increases the cut angle. This shim increases the blade angle nearly equivalent to the K-drill cut angle.  I also ground groves in my blades to make them Lazer and or chipper blades.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Don't have video but have pics. Center punch where you want point. Drill 1/4 pilot hole followed with 5/16 drill tap size. Tap hole with 3/8 hand tap. (Tap/drill set for $8 at Lows or Home Depot). I use washers for spacer to get proper tip height. I use Titanium or Cobalt hardened drill bits.
Welded nut also great idea. What size nut did you use.

Not sure took it to the machine shop in town....I’m thinking the old guy either drilled & tapped it crooked or drilled original hole to large....then did the nut fix. He only was charging $5 to do it.....figured I couldn’t buy the tap set to do it for $5.

Offline True North

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2020, 03:08 AM »
Never owned anything but a Milwaukee 2804 brushless on 8” 7(7 5/8) K drill. Watched plenty of others with the gas setups and decided when I got into ice fishing they weren’t for me. Half the time I’m pulling my equipment out and that K drill setup is fast, light and easy without stink. Drill also used to sink hub anchors and drill holes inside the setup hub without carbon monoxide headaches.
Going on 3rd year and have not wanted to switch to anything else.
Enjoy your life while you’re here, because you’re dead a powerful long time (Twain)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 23, 2020, 10:04 AM »
When you put your blades back on, add  0.040 shim on the leading edge of the blade that increases the cut angle. This shim increases the blade angle nearly equivalent to the K-drill cut angle.  I also ground groves in my blades to make them Lazer and or chipper blades.

I like the way it cuts as is.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2020, 01:02 PM »

When it's time for new blades just get the Eskimo gas áuger blades. They have the chipper shaver style hybrid and they are a bit more aggressive on the cut angle so you won't need to shim it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2020, 01:14 PM »
When it's time for new blades just get the Eskimo gas áuger blades. They have the chipper shaver style hybrid and they are a bit more aggressive on the cut angle so you won't need to shim it.
DO the Quantum Eskimo Blades fit the Mora Augers?
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2020, 01:30 PM »
DO the Quantum Eskimo Blades fit the Mora Augers?

I'm not 100% sure....but looking at the store the holes looked very close.....a guy could try and if they don't return them to the store. Personally.....I wouldn't want the chipper style on a mora. The blades are easy to sharpen & if you have a guid point should be able to reopen holes fine.

I know the Eskimo hand áuger and strike master hand áuger blades all will fit/can be swapped back and forth.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Yes the Mora blades are easy to sharpen myself.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Nov 23, 2020, 03:57 PM »
I'm not 100% sure....but looking at the store the holes looked very close.....a guy could try and if they don't return them to the store. Personally.....I wouldn't want the chipper style on a mora. The blades are easy to sharpen & if you have a guid point should be able to reopen holes fine.

I know the Eskimo hand áuger and strike master hand áuger blades all will fit/can be swapped back and forth.
I had the Eskimo Z51 and I always sharpened my own blades. Quantum Blades. I had the 6" Silvertip hand auger and one of the blades broke. Probably why they don't sell them any more. But when I contacted them they sent me the Turbo Blades and they fit but not real good. I called them again and they finally sent me the correct ones.  The Tubo Blades fit on the Stikemasters.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 25, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Sold the one I just had done...so did my other myself.

If you get the center point tips from strikemaster, the threads on it are 10mm - 1.5. I bought a tap for $6 to do it. I had to put a washer between the áuger and point to get it to tighten where I wanted.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Dec 01, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Sold the one I just had done...so did my other myself.

If you get the center point tips from strikemaster, the threads on it are 10mm - 1.5. I bought a tap for $6 to do it. I had to put a washer between the áuger and point to get it to tighten where I wanted.

Just did this to my 6" Mora. got the point for $12 and spent $8.15 for the tap. Added the washer to get the point "lined up".  Prolly try it friday.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Dec 01, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Just did this to my 6" Mora. got the point for $12 and spent $8.15 for the tap. Added the washer to get the point "lined up".  Prolly try it friday.

What size was the tap ? Others may want to do this modification .

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:41 PM »
What size was the tap ? Others may want to do this modification .

10mm 1.5

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Dec 02, 2020, 10:40 AM »
10mm 1.5

Yessir. 10mm x 1.5mm.   Lowes sells a tap/drill combo for $12.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Does this mod help it drill better or just make it easier to start ?
\

Ken..............

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.