Author Topic: Jigging?????  (Read 4158 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jigging?????
« on: Nov 11, 2006, 08:49 PM »
I know there are some die hard jiggers here. If you jig all day long does the sub-zero temps bother you????? Going from hole to hole standing in the cold and blowing wind doesn't sound inviting.
      Kim     :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Slop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jigging?????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2006, 09:14 PM »
I like to 'jig' no matter how cold it get's... .if the wind comes up, well that's a different story. Going from hole to hole does the body good!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2006, 09:20 PM »
That's ''Ice'' fishing ;D. Cold does not really bother me. I usually dress appropriate to the days conditions so I can worry less about that and more on the fish.
Andrew

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2006, 09:21 PM »
I think that most, not all, die hard jiggers use a portable shelter. With a flip-over style shelter, it only takes a moment or two to move to a new location. It's funny that I get 40 or 50 days a year on the ice, yet I get cold easily. An oldtimer once told me that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2006, 09:27 PM »
if you dress warm, its fun, start drilling and walking it'll keep you even warmer, I have a shack this eyar, so warmth wont be an issue. wahoo!

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2006, 05:13 AM »
Ice fishing does not have to be a cold thing. Some kind of portable shelter or wind block, flip shelter can save the day. Also dressing in layers can be helpful and good warm waterproof boots is a must.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2006, 03:26 PM »
We're only allowed to use one rod here....no tipups....so thats all we do.....jig. I dont understand how sitting and waiting for flags to go off could be all that fun.

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2006, 03:47 PM »
JIG JIG JIG CATCH CATCH CATCH  for me jigging far outproduces tipups for bluegills,crappie,perch,walleye and lakers. If I was a pike fisherman I would probably use tipups more often :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2006, 04:32 PM »
pgkris- You really are missing out if you don't see what fun it is to watch tip-ups. What we do is get a few buddies together and set out the tip-ups and whoever sees them or gets there first takes it tackling each other all the way out there. If you get a good day and get a lot of bites it really wears on you by the end of the day.Hope one day you will get a chance to really use some tip-ups. And me I would really like to catch a big pike on a jig rod to see how that feels.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:03 PM »
I love to jig no matter the temp, no complaints about making t hat mad dash for a flag either...hell I like to fish

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:17 PM »
I love to jig no matter the temp, no complaints about making t hat mad dash for a flag either...hell I like to fish

amen!!

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:25 PM »
I pretty much only jig. I'll use tip ups for big gators but jigging produces way more fish IMO.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:46 PM »
pgkris- You really are missing out if you don't see what fun it is to watch tip-ups. What we do is get a few buddies together and set out the tip-ups and whoever sees them or gets there first takes it tackling each other all the way out there. If you get a good day and get a lot of bites it really wears on you by the end of the day.Hope one day you will get a chance to really use some tip-ups. And me I would really like to catch a big pike on a jig rod to see how that feels.

Unfortunately we can only watch a tip-up not tip-ups. One line in water only. So we either sit and watch one tip-up or jig. Thats probably why we don't see them here in British Columbia much. I do like to watch a tip-up when I'm making lunch or need to run to shore for nature calls. Sometimes when I'm at my cabin, I will put a tip-up in so I can watch it from the warmth. I like jigging the batch of holes I have drilled. Moving from hole to hole and drilling more holes keeps you warm. Sitting in one hole all day can get boring and cool.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:45 AM »
With the new vex i bought last year, and only used twice due to non ice, i plan to be a jiggin machine this year...cold is only part of ice fishing....I just tell the kids, remember that day last year we were out on the boat and it was soooo hot.....I think for me....facing the elements is just part of the outdoor experience..anyone can do it when the weather is nice..whether its fishing or hunting..but nothing like having some success when you know 90% of the rest of the world is inside staying warm, dry, etc...call me crazy

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:50 AM »
I feel for you guys in B.C. I couldn't imagine only one line

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:06 PM »
When I'm in my fish trap even on the coldest and windiest days I'm comfortable, especially if I bring my Mr. Buddy heater in there with me ;D  Often just the warmth of a lantern during night time fishing is enough to stay reasonably warm.  I only break out the heater if I have to.  And, usually I peel off my upper body layers and fish in flannels when I'm on a hot spot!  I love my portable shanty!!!!!!!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Oh, forgot to post the rest of my post, LOL.

Also, having a portable shanty is great for jig fishing anyway.  I can stay mobile and comfortable.  When I get to my next spot that I deem fishable I simply sit down and pull the shanty over top of me.  To jig fish effectively you have to keep on top of the fish, moving from hole to hole as needed (and if that doesn't work change spots, and if that doesn't work change lakes) so why not stay comfortable?

I know that tip ups are great for targeting big fish, but I feel like it keeps me tied to a spot longer than I might want to be and I lose that mobility.  I use them sometimes and it's fine with the jigging is good, but when I'm itching to move it's awfully difficult to make that decision :P ;D  For me, most of the time I have to have the mindset to either jig or do the tip up thing and target big fish, not both.  I'll do both when I'm with a group just out for the social thing, but when I'm solo or in high gear fishing mode I prefer to jig and stay mobile.
Kevin Wilson

Offline flagup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Unfortunately we can only watch a tip-up not tip-ups. One line in water only. So we either sit and watch one tip-up or jig. Thats probably why we don't see them here in British Columbia much. I do like to watch a tip-up when I'm making lunch or need to run to shore for nature calls. Sometimes when I'm at my cabin, I will put a tip-up in so I can watch it from the warmth. I like jigging the batch of holes I have drilled. Moving from hole to hole and drilling more holes keeps you warm. Sitting in one hole all day can get boring and cool.

ONE LINE ONLY!!!  Wow the law really sucks up there in B.C.! Good lord I head out with a couple of my kids and we put out 15 rods/tip-ups (5 per person). I don't think I would even bother to go if I could only use 1 rig!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Kinda funny how we still manage to whup everyone in the tourney :woot: :woot: "Disadvantaged" to only one rod..... :roflmao:

-Thoreau

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2006, 10:27 PM »
Yeah seeing the monsters that come out of BC I wouldn't mind having to use one line fishing there.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2006, 10:36 PM »
The stupid part about the rule is that during the summer we are allowed two rods. The regs state that a person may angle from a boat on a lake with 2 lines. But when icefishing, only one line may be used (paraphrased).......the long standing debate....what happens if you're sitting in a boat on a FROZEN lake with a hole drilled on each side, fishing away? You're on a lake, in a boat, angling....should you not be allowed 2 rods? LOL it's goofy when you think about it......but I'm ok with one rod.......it would be nice to be allowed 2 just so you could figure out what they're biting on faster.....IMO anyway......whatever, we can deal, BRING ON THE TOURNEY :flex:

-Thoreau

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:06 AM »
   I haven't seen it put up yet, but I store up all fall on the fat storage just so I'm comfortable mostly in jeans, sweatshirt, flannel shirt, gloves and hat ice fishing lol. I'l drill a few holes see if anything is biting then pull over my portable if anything looks good, if I go 15-20 minutes without a bite I go and check my old holes and if no luck, drill more and find fish. Gotta love the portable heater though, kept me fishin in 45 below windchills in a t-shirt last year  ;D. I mostly jig, especially can't wait to use the new MarCum LX-3 on the ice this year.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:47 AM »
   I haven't seen it put up yet, but I store up all fall on the fat storage just so I'm comfortable mostly in jeans, sweatshirt, flannel shirt, gloves and hat ice fishing lol.

I'm with you Buck!!!!!!!!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D
Kevin Wilson

Offline puddle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • miss ya brother in memory of mlp..........
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:04 AM »
im a jigger but my brother is a die hard tip up man...i love to watch his excitement though when a tip up goes off.... he busts his butt falling down trying to run on the ice half the time.......most days i have to say i out fish him and this year i know ill kill him seeing how im getting a flasher and due to this web site ive learned more in a week in here than a winter spent on the ice....
on the 8th day he created icefishing and on the 9th day he created vexilar........

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:43 PM »
LOL Fatboy I'm lovin the addition to your sig........."Unless they're dinks" lol good one

-Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.