The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT (sort of) Tree vs snowmobile  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
OT (sort of) Tree vs snowmobile
« on: Mar 11, 2017, 08:45 PM »
A week ago I spent 24 hours feeling like I was one of the unluckiest people on the planet.  Had a big chunk of a pine tree fall in my yard right on top of my 05 F7.  Heard a crash, thought it was the cats or dog knocking something over in the house.  Saw nothing inside so gave it no more thought until I wandered outside and saw this.  Ass end of the sled was completely on the ground.  Missed the house by 10 feet, so that's a plus. But landing square on the sled was not cool. Figured it was junk as soon as I saw it.  No insurance and homeowners did not cover it.  Next day I had a tree service come take down the rest of the pine.  They seemed as curious as me about whether the sled had survived.  As they started to cut it away, the hind quarters popped right back up.  No visible damage underneath.  Looks like I just need a new windshield and a seat cover.  Or Gorilla tape... :). Went from feeling like the unluckiest to the luckiest in a matter of minutes...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OT (sort of) Tree vs snowmobile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2017, 08:59 PM »
Forget the sled, lucky it didn't get the sugar shack! ;D

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Forget the sled, lucky it didn't get the sugar shack! ;D
Agreed!  Like I said, I felt pretty unlucky until I realized all of the other possible damage that I somehow avoided!  When the tree guys came to take the rest of it down, they cut this part away and the sled popped right back up.  I would've guaranteed that the rear suspension was junk.  After we got it uncovered one of the guys offered me $500 for the sled.  I told him he missed his opportunity.  If he had made that offer while it was still buried I probably would have made that deal.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2017, 06:25 AM »
Agreed!  Like I said, I felt pretty unlucky until I realized all of the other possible damage that I somehow avoided!  When the tree guys came to take the rest of it down, they cut this part away and the sled popped right back up.  I would've guaranteed that the rear suspension was junk.  After we got it uncovered one of the guys offered me $500 for the sled.  I told him he missed his opportunity.  If he had made that offer while it was still buried I probably would have made that deal.

Always important to look for that silver lining, same thing I was trying to tell myself as I was looking for that frozen pipe last night! ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Must have been a soft wood.  ::) Glad everything worked out in the end and no one was hurt!
Just add water.

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Must have been a soft wood.  ::) Glad everything worked out in the end and no one was hurt!
Lucky all the way around, though it didn't feel like it at first.  About 20'-25' feet up this pine split off into two.  One came down on my sled.  Tree guy said it looked like the top probably hit the ground first, absorbing a lot of the weight.  Then when the butt end hit, it also hit the 3+' of snow that I had just dug my sled out of the week before.  All that, some solid suspension and the fact that it landed right on the seat and not 6" in the other direction crushing the handlebars and instrument panel saved the sled.  Well, at least I assume it did.  Haven't done anything other than look it over and start it up.  The true test will be if/when it actually moves...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.