Author Topic: Spinning Reel vs Inline  (Read 8275 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Spinning Reel vs Inline
« on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I just ordered a custom jig stick for hog Perch and am now considering a reel for it. Been thinking of swaying from spinning gear and trying a new inline. Any thoughts? Benefits over inline?

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spinning Reel vs Inline
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:48 AM »
i bought a cheapo inline reel this last year, and despite it's flaws (you get what you pay for) i really love it. it did really well protecting 2lb line against a couple of 3+ pound trout the first trip out. i'm gonna look at some of the higher-quality ones this year.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Many people love them, especially those that have trouble with line twist. I use my Stradics and have not found any advantages when I used an inline...  I rather put more money into the reels I use year round, then spend money on something I will only use a few months a year, especially for little or no advantage (for me). I also don't like using a pencil grip on a jigging rod and inline reels lend themselves better for that grip.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Once you go to inline you won't want to go back. Best decision I made 3 years ago.
Da Pack!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:09 AM »
love the inline. been using small open water baitcasters on ice for 2+years. i like them for bigger fish because it handles bigger line than spinners.  i have spinners in my rod bag too though.  place for them both. imo/
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:41 AM »
How deep do you usually fish perch? if you fish pretty deep might wanna stick with spinning or look at a inline with the spool release like the freefall

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:42 AM »
I use four 6061s and 2 spinning rods , I haven’t had any issues with the inlines , I use my inlines for perch walleyes and lakers ,

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I have been watching this topic for a while now.  Looks like there are a lot of plus and minus for each.  Going to try an inline this year.  It went on one of my panfish rods so will see how it goes.  Mine does not have the gearing in it, so it will be interesting to see how it does.  Purchased the reel on a closeout, so won't be out much if I don't like.  My fear is that I will like it, and then need to get more.  Been watching the threads on the Frabill 371 and the 13 Ghost's and Betty's.  Lets see how the winter goes and what I think of it first.........
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:37 PM »
I have 1 inline reel and 1 fly reel and while I love them both, I've still been buying Sienna's for all my rods since. There is still line twist, less... but your jig will still spin no matter what because of how it sinks anyways. They're fun to use but haven't really noticed a huge advantage to them in the past 3 years I've owned an inline.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:43 PM »
I run mostly spinning reels, but I bought a black betty 6061 last year and loved it for fast dropping jigs in moving schools. The line stays straighter than on spinning reels and allows jigs to fall faster. Great reel, but spendy.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:44 PM »
There are two things I really like about inline reels. First, the ergonomics of what is called the pencil grip. I will palm the entire reel and basically grip the pole itself like a pencil. The other thing is how they fit in my jig stick bag. They sit flat as opposed to spinning reels. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:07 PM »
How deep do you usually fish perch? if you fish pretty deep might wanna stick with spinning or look at a inline with the spool release like the freefall

No more than 20ft. I was looking at the FreeFall as a possible contender.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:20 PM »
I'm just getting into the inline crowd. I bought a freefall ghost to try out this year. Seems like it will be a great reel. One thing I'm going to have to get use to is no noise when drag is being pulled out

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I'm not on the inline bandwagon..i don't like the off balance feel,spool rubbing my palm with pencil grip,all or nothing drags on them with no middle setting really.ive tried frabil,eagle claw and cgi no 8.i know these are the cheaper inlines but I'm not spending a lot on these when I can get a nice shimano 500 series reel that has worked for me forever.almost can get 2 spinning reels for the price of the top inlines.i do like how the line twist is less with the inlines but even the free spool isn't good enough to drop my 3mm fiskas.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2017, 02:28 PM »
I've had an inline for the past couple years and I love it! I like how fast the jig drops and stays straight without the line twisting. I have two eagle claw inlines I was a little hesitant at first but they are built really well, pretty hard to beat for $25. I still keep a spinning rod setup in the bag but I haven't used it for a year. I'm going to get a tickle stick or two this year and will have another eagle claw inline on one and maybe give a spinning reel a try on the other.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2017, 02:33 PM »
You have a point Dr but in my case from the the 70s , we used Palmer fly reels for salmon and steelhead , I personally like the option of being able adjust the drag or to use my palm for a drag plus the added multipler of 2.7 :1 retrieve , I even hold my spinning set ups what they now call a pencil grip , but like everything else from shelters to clothing , some like and others don’t , its nice to have choices and far as expense , you can pick many of the More expensive ones up for 1/2 price on sale

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2017, 02:37 PM »
You have a point Dr but in my case from the the 70s , we used Palmer fly reels for salmon and steelhead , I personally like the option of being able adjust the drag or to use my palm for a drag plus the added multipler of 2.7 :1 retrieve , but like everything else from shelters to clothing , some like and others don’t , its nice to have choices and far as expense , you can pick many of the More expensive ones up for 1/2 price on sale
I hear ya I use centerpin reels for steelhead my fingers are the best drag around.

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2017, 04:24 PM »
I fished with one last year, fished bluegills, crappie, and perch, nothing deeper than 25 ft. loved it.

Chute82

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2017, 04:32 PM »
I have two EG inline reels are they are nice for the price.  I would not buy the bb fish 13 reels, ec and bb have the same internal parts and both are made by the same China man. I know, I know the BB is machined from expert tool and die Chinese craftsmanship, the same experts who supply Harbor freight with their great tools.

Offline Steve Sr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2017, 04:38 PM »
I like the inlines, but, not only for the no-twist reason but also because I build some long ice / summer night jigging poles using fly rod handles.

The balance of the reel to the rear is much better since lighter than spinning reels, at least mine are.

this balance allows me to "sit" the rod on my fingers like a balance while doing a slow "pump" of a couple inches.  When a fish hits there is little, if any resistance felt by the fish.  More than a good spring bobber of course but for fishing spoons or light lures I think it's unbeatable.

Before anyone asks, yes........I've had bass and walleye rip it out of my fingers but they have to REALLY hammer it. lol. 

Just my 2 cents.

God Bless

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I fished with o.   ne last year, fished bluegills, crappie, and perch, nothing deeper than 25 ft. loved it.
.            I have fished up to 35’ with no problems with my inline !

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:48 PM »
I carry 4 rods when I go out,two with spinning reels,and two with in lines,Everytime I find myself using the In lines.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Once you go to inline you won't want to go back. Best decision I made 3 years ago.

totally agree with you. I was using spinning reels up until about 2 or 3 seasons ago then went to using the Clam Spooler Elite inline combos ever since. now granted both spinning reels and inline reels have their place and time. the in lines shine when the fish are pressured and in a negative mood. the in lines help cut down on line twist. now when the fish are aggressive then you can get by with spinning reels as they will bite even if there is a little line twist. I do still keep a set of spinning combos in my truck so if some one comes with me fishing that doesn't like the in lines I have spinning reels for them.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2017, 03:03 AM »
Not a direct reply to an inline of current reels today, but it follows the same general guidelines

(copy paste from my journal)

Advantages pros benefits of fly reel

The mechanics of the fly reel set up may seem to have a lot of disadvantages to many people.  It may have a cumbersome line stripping to get lure down and slow line retrieval rate.  However the merits of the set up comes from what other set ups cannot give.

For one thing is having a direct contact with the fishing line.  It presents a whole different feel, but it's the feel advantage.  Not only will you feel more from a bite detection aspect from the rod tip vibration but also from the direct line contact.  This also goes in part with the fish fighting and landing aspect from it.

The lightness of the setup in itself is another advantage to finesse jigging.  Yes finess jigging, when cold front hits and finesse jigging is required.  You can make presentation adjustments in inches of raising lure or lowering lures throughout the water column.  Why bother opening the bail?  Just a little turn of the fly reel in one direction or the other gets that job done very efficiently.  It's a very fluid presentation shown to the fish.

If one wants to deadstick with the fly reel set up, it has it's clear advantages there as well.  It's can simply be the best rattle reel set up u want.  I admit I can be really lazy at times and this set up affords me to be even extra lazy, yet efficient.

Aside from a baitcasting reel, I cannot think of a smoother light drag set up than a fly reel.  The line is pulled directionally from spool and not hindered by a smaller line roller.  One can simply adjust drag amount through line pinching or finger braking the spool.  So yes it may take some training to develope some skills to become more efficient with the fly reel.  However I find myself more in tuned with the fish fight and it gets my adrenaline pumping way more.

As stated about the advantage of the straight line preventing lures from spinning.  The other advantage is that a light lure sink rate from a fly reel line is faster than one from a spinning reel.  That percieved cumbersome line stripping from the fly reel when one becomes efficient at it, is faster than the line stripping from the spinning reel.   Oh snap!  It's faster than a spinning reel.

One more thing, your lines are going to freeze.  Its faster to strip frozen line off of a fly reel spool than off of a spinning reel spool.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I bought an inline out of curiosity 5 years back. I now have 3 of them. Love 'em for shallow water perch and pannies.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Is there any videos that compare line twist in spinning rods vs In lines?  I wouldn't know if my jig was spinning due to line twist unless I saw it on an aqua view or something similar

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Is there any videos that compare line twist in spinning rods vs In lines?  I wouldn't know if my jig was spinning due to line twist unless I saw it on an aqua view or something similar

Not that I'm aware of.

In simplicity if you ever own different reels.  Spinning reels, bait casting reels, fly reels, rattle reels.  You strip maybe 50 feet of line off the reels and look at them on the floor.  Which one's is more curled up and more loop tangled?

While spool size makes a lot of difference, keep in mind that the line's behavior from that actual specific reel applies to your lure while using it.  That is where very small details makes a difference in line behavior effect on lures.  When fish are biting, it doesn't matter.  When fish are negative and barely biting, everything matters.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2019, 04:29 AM »
I ordered a couple of the in line reels to try.  A white ghost and a couple of descents.  Sometimes I think the latest,greatest, newest stuff  is designed more to catch fishermen than fish, so I hope I'm not disappointed   

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2019, 05:06 AM »
Of the lower-priced reels the 1 3 descent real is a winner in my opinion. I own several brands plus Black Betty I know the scent is the only real I'll buy from now on.

Offline 50ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2019, 09:36 AM »
I normally fish within 20 feet. I tried inline reel but I prefer spinning ones (4-6 lb lines).

What I like the spinning reels is the lure sinks faster without much frictions. I love "free fall" to save time. This year I will try to add a split-shot weight to make the rig falls even faster. 

Regarding line twisting (spinning reel), it has never been an issue to me. As said, I prefer using a heavier sinker so it's always a straight line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.