The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rock Bass  (Read 642 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rock Bass
« on: Feb 22, 2024, 08:53 AM »
I had heard of them, but never caught one before(Or even seen one).................UNTIL last night!  ;) ;D

I thought it was a crappie at first. Then saw the “stripes” and thought small hybrid Striper? White perch? So I had to ask a friend...............

Wasn’t the biggest fish I ever caught, but kinda neat catching something new! 😎

Where's the FISH?!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rock Bass
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2024, 09:42 AM »
Delicious eatting until the water gets to warm then they turn to mush
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2024, 10:57 AM »
I caught a couple at Promised Land. They were full of worms. They went in the garden. I didn't know what they were either. Their red eyes freaked me out. Chez was there and knew what they were.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2024, 11:16 AM »
We target them here in the spring on Sodus Bay have caught some real nice once ours have much more color to them and eyes are super red they put up a good fight
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2024, 02:44 PM »
We used to fish for them in the N Branch of the Susky around the middle to the end of May and would have a blast. Don’t know what happened but don’t catch many anymore. The red eyes were always the giveaway

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2024, 02:59 PM »
We used to fish for them in the N Branch of the Susky around the middle to the end of May and would have a blast. Don’t know what happened but don’t catch many anymore. The red eyes were always the giveaway

When the apple trees are blossoming here the Rockies are in the bay

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2024, 03:04 PM »
The bass club I fish with at Wallenpaupack in their night tournaments have a side pool on the biggest rock bass, they go crazy at night there.

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2024, 04:39 PM »
The bass club I fish with at Wallenpaupack in their night tournaments have a side pool on the biggest rock bass, they go crazy at night there.

By the dozen!!! We even throw in for a rockbass pool

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2024, 05:19 PM »
When the apple trees are blossoming here the Rockies are in the bay
   In the late 80’s and early 90’s my two friends used to go up to Sodus in May and come back with some dandies in a cooler

Offline arkansaspete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2024, 06:56 AM »
Caught a lot of them while stream fishing for trout and up on the big D fishing for small mouth they give pretty good fight and the red eyes are cool. A/P  :tipup:

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2024, 06:56 AM »
   In the late 80’s and early 90’s my two friends used to go up to Sodus in May and come back with some dandies in a cooler

Oh yeah we put 180 between 3 guys in the boat one day fished til we ran out of 10+ dozen minnows

Offline Iceblitz82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2024, 09:20 AM »
Rock bass are always a fun catch, the big mouths are easier to unhook than a sunfish and they fight almost like a little smallmouth.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2024, 12:25 PM »
Yep! 😎
Where's the FISH?!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2024, 04:19 PM »
 I use to keep them while ice fishing for gills and sunnies , they eat  just fine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.