The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: WARMUP  (Read 3514 times)

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
WARMUP
« on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:54 PM »
2 or 3 days left before ice starts to melt .

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WARMUP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2024, 04:47 AM »
Ba humbug!   >:(
Where's the FISH?!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:28 AM »
Ice is not going to melt too much with this warmup.  Actually will help it by getting rid of some of the frozen slush that is on top of the black ice from the snow.  Nez

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:05 AM »
I hope you’re right NEZ.

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2024, 07:13 PM »
Ice is not going to melt too much with this warmup.  Actually will help it by getting rid of some of the frozen slush that is on top of the black ice from the snow.  Nez

60 degrees and 3 inches of ice.  If you're in swpa your season is done.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2024, 07:46 PM »
Not so much the warmup but the prediction for rain could hurt depending on how much we get.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:09 PM »
With the forecast i am seeing for next week where I live the ice we currently have will be gone by the weekend. Up north it will most likely fare better but a bunch of warm rain over a couple days can ruin ice quick.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2024, 03:51 AM »
The ice is not consistent on most of these lakes, and at 4-5” leaves no margin for error. The rain and warm is going to make it really iffy. Have to hope for another cold spell.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:54 AM »
The ice is not consistent on most of these lakes, and at 4-5” leaves no margin for error. The rain and warm is going to make it really iffy. Have to hope for another cold spell.

Yep! Fingers crossed!  :(
Where's the FISH?!

Offline cabst119

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:03 AM »
Here in central PA the forecast says it won't get below freezing the rest of the week, not even night time lows.  Add some rain with that and all the snow melt that's coming along with it and the marginal ice we have at most places is going to be shot.  The following week the lows don't get below the mid 20's and highs in the 30's - not ice making weather. After February 1st the chances of getting the sustained temps needed to make new fishable ice is almost 0.  To be a debbie downer, the next 3-4 days are the last days most lakes will be ice fished this year.

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:19 AM »
Sorry bout the weather, it's all my fault because i bought a new sonar.  Had to go and jinx the season.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2024, 09:08 AM »
My fault as well. I picked up an old Jiffy Lite Model 50 that I had repaired. The only place that’s going to run this year is in the garage

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:28 AM »
2 or 3 days left before ice starts to melt .
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2024, 12:24 PM »
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

All them sad faces ED ,with all the good days we used to have fishing Hill Creek and Hamilton .

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2024, 04:32 AM »
 AMEN BROTHER

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2024, 11:49 AM »
I'm not giving up hope just yet. We have the whole month of February to try to get back on the ice. Probably not gonna get a foot of ice this year, but I will settle for getting back on 4 or 5" before the inevitable warmup in Spring!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2024, 08:54 AM »
Every night next week will be below freezing.  I think we will be ice fishing again.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2024, 09:10 AM »
I just ordered some tip-up lights for night fishing. Hoping to do an overnight trip over President’s day weekend. (Camping out on the ice in my oversized hub shelter) 🤞🤞🤞

Where's the FISH?!

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2024, 10:46 AM »
Goodbye my icy friends it was a very short lived ice season at best . hope everyones safe and enjoyed what little time we had on the ice this year .
maybe next year if were lucky ?

Offline the_Professor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2024, 10:53 AM »
Guess it’s time to get the boat fired up again 🤷‍♂️

Cya later ice season 😢

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:34 PM »
It’s over.  I’m putting everything away and planning to go catch steelhead when the creeks settle down. What little ice we get back won’t be safe enough for me. 

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:39 PM »
Every night next week will be below freezing.  I think we will be ice fishing again.

The low temperatures , are a bottom temperature prolly reached just before Sun up , the temperatures your talking about will never make lake ice because most of the night is going to be above 32*. I like your optimism , but it prolly not well founded .

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2024, 03:17 PM »
First off,  S.E. Pa , the season is over.  3 day stretch for a season.  In my opinion,  if Monroe county lakes can keep 2 inches of black ice,  the upcoming week might be cold enough to make another.  3 inches is most people's bare minimum.  A lot need more to feel safe.  I'm good with 3 as long as it's good ice.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2024, 03:53 PM »

The low temperatures , are a bottom temperature prolly reached just before Sun up , the temperatures your talking about will never make lake ice because most of the night is going to be above 32*. I like your optimism , but it prolly not well founded .
I don’t know where you live, but in Scranton next week it’s getting down to 24 on Monday night, 20 on Tuesday night, and 20 on Wednesday night.  That’s in the city.  Definitely colder in the Poconos. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2024, 02:01 PM »
Well, I got out this morning for a couple hours. Our private lake still had 3 and 1/2 inches of good ice and it was solid. Over a dozen hits with the spud bar before it broke thru.

I decided before I went out that I would leave at 10am before things started to get sketchy............... .... It was slow at first but about 9:30 it started to pick up. Caught half a dozen gills and missed a few. Bite was hot at 10 but I stuck to my guns and packed up before things got bad.

Went home and set up my shelters to give them a good drying out while it was warm.

Probably won’t get back on the ice for a little while but I’ll be ready when conditions permit.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2024, 06:28 PM »
Well, I got out this morning for a couple hours. Our private lake still had 3 and 1/2 inches of good ice and it was solid. Over a dozen hits with the spud bar before it broke thru.

I decided before I went out that I would leave at 10am before things started to get sketchy............... .... It was slow at first but about 9:30 it started to pick up. Caught half a dozen gills and missed a few. Bite was hot at 10 but I stuck to my guns and packed up before things got bad.

Went home and set up my shelters to give them a good drying out while it was warm. Full moon middle of the day deer move & fish bite . My theory anywho  ;)

Probably won’t get back on the ice for a little while but I’ll be ready when conditions permit.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2024, 05:32 AM »
Now it’s not looking good.  Forecast has changed to warmer weather this week. And rain today.  We’re going to need a deep freeze in February to get back on the ice.  :%$#!:

Offline gtjiggywtit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2024, 11:15 AM »
   yep we would need a one week polar  vortex but the long range isnt looking good. Time to get the boat and kayak ready . It was a one day season for me .Lol

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2024, 12:23 PM »
I just wish it would make up its mind; stay cold so we could ice fish or stay warm to open everything up.
   Instead, it’s stays in between with unsafe ice covering the lakes and ponds.

Offline Gfetch3914

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2024, 09:20 AM »
Positive vibes everyone. Starting Saturday lows in Pike county will be in the mid teens for 1 week. Highs touching 30 degrees.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.