Author Topic: Clam Nanook Thermal Pros/Cons  (Read 4909 times)

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
Clam Nanook Thermal Pros/Cons
« on: Nov 05, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Looking to downsize and looking at the Clam Nanook Thermal...anybody have any reviews on it? ..... Pros and Cons....90% of the time it will be just me in it....

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Nanook Thermal Pros/Cons
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2016, 11:16 PM »
I will be running one of these this year as my house. I plan to use it as a over sized one man when I don't have my son with. Both models of the Nanook are one of Clam's best selling houses to date. this is why it is still being made after all these years. one other thing if you plan to put the runners on the sled do it before you put the rest of the house together. another thing when installing runners drill the screw holes undersized so the screw threads into the runner and sled. this helps hold it in place so it is easier to put the nuts on the screws. also another good investment is a travel cover to keep snow out of the house when pulling it or storing it during the off season. the total weight with both seats installed is 85LBS for the thermal model. taking the one seat out should drop it down to around 70 to 75LBS. so it is a little heavier then a one man house but even the largest one man doesn't give you any where near as much fishable space. also when pulling by hand it is wise to invest in the Clam pulling harness. this spreads the weight of the house over your whole body and not to just your hand when pulling it by hand. it will make pulling easier.

here is how I set mine up when I plan to go out by my self. I added the four place rod holder and light bar and battery bracket for the light bar. then removed the second seat.

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2016, 06:08 AM »
Monticatgeek nice setup....is yours the thermal model?

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2016, 07:10 AM »
I also picked up a new thermal nanook for this year and will be using it as a large one man shelter. I'm going to build a smitty sled for hand pulling and the harness. Monticatgeek I think has the thermal version, I will post my experiences with the nanook as well. Tight lines

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2016, 11:31 AM »
bigfish54 just thought the insulated version was light colored material on the inside instead of dark....looking at Nanook or Frabill Aegis or Frabill Bro

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2016, 02:48 PM »
yes mine is the thermal house. I won't have any house from now on unless it is thermal. that is how much I believe in the thermal houses now. as for the thermal Nanooks being black inside, the last two or three years they have had the black fabric inside prior to that it was a light gray fabric inside but was still thermal. the change was made because people were wanting to be able to do more sight fishing out of the Nanook but the gray fabric let to much light in. what I am hoping for next year is that Clam will expand their stealth line of houses and make a Nanook Stealth. I may have to suggest that to the higher up at Clam when I talk to them again. over all I am looking forward to running this house this season. Next year I have my eye on one of the Kenai Pro thermal Stealth's and the Voyager Thermal Stealth. that would be unless they took my suggestion about making a Nanook Stealth then I might look at that if they made it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.