The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: looking for some input on a new auger i need to buy this year.  (Read 10589 times)

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: looking for some input on a new auger i need to buy this year.
« Reply #60 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Same here on the Pro 4! I got 60 holes on 1 bottle and still going. Waiting to see how many more I can get out of it this year. Propane is better than octane in this case. 0*F and first pull.

Pat

I got over 100 on a bottle before! I think all last year I used 2-3 bottles and anyone that knows me can tell you I make swiss cheese when i go fishing!! Oh and since I had surgery and couldn't work I got out a lot!!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I got an eskimo z51 last year starts on first or second pull everytime .Great Auger!! cuts fast.
]

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #62 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:52 PM »
WOW! I wasn't sure if that bottle I had was a new one or not. I got a pack of 4 new ones since so I'll know how far it will go this year for sure. But 100, that's kickin!
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #63 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:03 PM »
WOW! I wasn't sure if that bottle I had was a new one or not. I got a pack of 4 new ones since so I'll know how far it will go this year for sure. But 100, that's kickin!
OK ice thickness plays a roll in number of holes but I'd say average was 12"-14" went to SD and ran into some 20-24" too so not just thin ice
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #64 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:13 PM »
OK ice thickness plays a roll in number of holes but I'd say average was 12"-14" went to SD and ran into some 20-24" too so not just thin ice

Yup, same here. So we're in the same ballpark then thickness wise. I also have the 8 and 10 inch bits and started out the season with the 10 inch and switched half way to the 8. So that might be the difference right there.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I got a StrikerMaster Lazer 7" hand auger 2 yrs ago. Wouldn't recommend it.  Then last year I got an 8" StrikeMaster LazerMag  Xpress. It was good.  It was my 1st powered auger. So compared to my StrikeMaster hand auger it was amazing.  But then this past season I was out with a guy from Clam corp. I used an ION and 6" k-drill. The k-drill was awsome at opening old holes. But wayyy over priced.  The ION was amazing.  40v lithium ion battery.  Cuts great.  It blew my StrikeMaster LazerMag Xpress away.
I was lucky enough to find a new 1 this summer for $225. I would strongly recommend an ION or Ice Gator.  Forget gas.  Forget maintenance.  Forgot gaslone smell in a shelter and your car.  Forget mixing oil  Forget warming it up before using it.  Forget the trouble of starting.  * I also just bought a 4.5" Nils USA cordless auger for $115

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Another vote on the Z51 or 71. Bought mine 4 years ago and it still starts on the first pull.
<===Lefty===

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #67 on: Nov 01, 2013, 11:54 PM »
I have Eskimo mako bought 4 yrs ago and it starts great every time and didn't cost much I bought in the spring for $299 and my friends I fish with all have strickemaster and they like just about as well one guy likes it better than his strickemaster because it doesn't throw ice in his boots I told him I would trade him but he wouldn't fall for it LOL
Never to many short poles

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Nov 01, 2013, 11:58 PM »
O I forgot to say one of the other guys I fish with had a 4 stroke Honda strickemaster put in his truck and layed it on the wrong side and after traveling 250 miles a lot of oil leaked out so we were afraid to use it so we used my cheap Eskimo

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #69 on: Nov 02, 2013, 02:25 AM »
I really like the strikemaster laser pro. I have been eyeballing it for two years now. The only problem is my old strikemaster won't die so I don't have a reason to go buy a new one lol. So now I'm in the quandary of which to buy, auger or new vex. Choices choices.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 02, 2013, 03:50 AM »
ion the only way to go.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #71 on: Nov 02, 2013, 04:15 AM »
If you want a good auger and to save a few bucks I'd get an Eskimo Mako but if you want to spend a bit more I'd get an Eskimo Shark.  Either way I'd go with an eight inch model, in my seventeen years of ice fishing I never caught a fish, or even saw one for that matter, that wouldn't come through an eight inch hole.  In my opinion a ten inch hole is dangerous because you can easily fall into it not to mention a small child could fall through it. 

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:20 AM »
If you want lightest auger and speed Tanaka with the nils. Ithink the weight of the jiffy is a lot if you drill a lot of holes and want to be as mobile as possible.
Fishin red lines

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:43 AM »
love my jiffy with it's big 10" for the deep ice and my 6" nils for the start of the season. john  :tipup:

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:30 AM »
I mainly panfish and use 6" most of the time. I will use 8" max. I will never drill a 10 for me no need and keeps my kids out of the hole.
Fishin red lines

Offline Snowcone207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Ok so km down to pro 4 or ion electric what are pros and cons of both does the propane have any negatives?

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #76 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Strikemaster.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Ok so km down to pro 4 or ion electric what are pros and cons of both does the propane have any negatives?

No negative on the Pro4.  I love mine!  The number of holes from a bottle can change a lot!  I have drilled over 200 on one can (6-8" of ice) and have fried a can in an hour (30+" of ice).  Also I find air temp changes the consumption rate.  The colder the temp, the more fuel it burns.  Then again so does my truck, ATV, motorcycle, ect.... 

I keep a bottle in my truck on the way to the lake, and in my jacket pocket (BIG pockets in the Vexilar coat!) while on the ice.  This is in addition to the one on the auger- which has never failed to start.... as long as it was not empty.  Just a great auger.  Sure it weighs a bit more, but worth it to me.  Most of the time the ice is thick enough to want a power auger, I'm on my ATV anyway.  Not like I have to carry it around all day.  Besides most of us could offset the weight we should loose with that of the auger.  I'm down over 50lbs now! 

My only complaint... If you leave the propane bottle connected to the auger (fuel line- not the clamp) it can leak & leave you empty.  It only happened 1 time, and I remembered to disconnect when done drilling for the day.   

Offline Snowcone207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:46 AM »

No negative on the Pro4.  I love mine!  The number of holes from a bottle can change a lot!  I have drilled over 200 on one can (6-8" of ice) and have fried a can in an hour (30+" of ice).  Also I find air temp changes the consumption rate.  The colder the temp, the more fuel it burns.  Then again so does my truck, ATV, motorcycle, ect.... 

I keep a bottle in my truck on the way to the lake, and in my jacket pocket (BIG pockets in the Vexilar coat!) while on the ice.  This is in addition to the one on the auger- which has never failed to start.... as long as it was not empty.  Just a great auger.  Sure it weighs a bit more, but worth it to me.  Most of the time the ice is thick enough to want a power auger, I'm on my ATV anyway.  Not like I have to carry it around all day.  Besides most of us could offset the weight we should loose with that of the auger.  I'm down over 50lbs now! 

My only complaint... If you leave the propane bottle connected to the auger (fuel line- not the clamp) it can leak & leave you empty.  It only happened 1 time, and I remembered to disconnect when done drilling for the day.

what do you think about the pro 4 light i have to pull my jet sled lol no wheeler or snowmobile yet hopefully by next season...

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #79 on: Nov 02, 2013, 01:38 PM »

I've never had mine leak down on me and I left my bottle on all season. I would check the seal on the hose connection. As for the extra weight, all the less you need to push down on the auger. Those things rip through 20 inches of ice like butter. And yes, keeping the bottles warm will give you a little more "mileage" out of them.

Pat

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Nov 02, 2013, 04:04 PM »
what do you think about the pro 4 light i have to pull my jet sled lol no wheeler or snowmobile yet hopefully by next season...
I have not seen the ro4 Light yet.  I'd bet it would work fine.  I wouldn't go that route just because I like a 10" auger.

I've never had mine leak down on me and I left my bottle on all season. I would check the seal on the hose connection.

The seal is fine.  I'm not sure why it would have leaked.  Maybe through the carb, into the engine?

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #81 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Came to a conclusion since I will be buying a lot of new stuff this year for ice fishing, I'm going to have to cut costs in some parts. So instead of buying a new auger I'm going to buy a decent used one, but what size is more reasonable for hole hopping? 8 inch, 10 inch,  I'm stuck? There's some decent Eskimo and strike masters for sale I'm my area, both of which are different sizes.

So which is more ideal to hole hop and just sit and fish from?   Used to 8 inch, never used 10 before.
KCCO

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:39 PM »
If you're gonna be hole hopping and carrying that thing around, I'd only go with an 8 inch auger. Lighter.

Go Beavers!

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #83 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Thanks.
KCCO

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #84 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:51 PM »
The Pro 4 has a multi position engine which is a plus for me, but it comes with a ripper blade system instead of the STX blades like the Pro 4 has. Personally I don't think I would let that keep me from getting a Pro 4 Lite. If only my old 2 hp Tecumseh powered Stealth would wear out.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #85 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:05 PM »
8" is plenty big for almost all ice fishing!! 10" holes can be dangerous for people to step in! It would take a huge fish to not fit through an 8" hole, plus less work for the auger drilling smaller holes!! Just my $.02 on that!! :tipup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:23 PM »
I think it depends how thick the ice get where you fish. The thicker the ice the bigger the hole should be if you don't want to take the risk to lose big one. The thicker the ice the more difficult to get the fish thru the hole. When it comes to weight and price I don't think the blade does a big difference, It's more about the brand and model you'll buy.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I have both 8 and 10 inch models.
I use the 10 mostly as I fish a lot of lakes that have the potential to produce fish that won't fit through an 8 inch hole.
Also as stated the thicker the ice the better it is to have a larger auger.
My lakes have 6 feet or better thick ice by late March early April.

What hasn't been mentioned is the larger the hole the slower it freezes up.
So depending on just how cold the weather is the 10 inch will stay a bigger diameter longer than an 8 inch will.

That said, I think you will be more than fine with an 8 inch auger in your neck O the woods.   ;)2

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:53 PM »
The guys I fish with drill 200 -300 holes a day I would like to have an Ion but just don't want to buy that many batterys  and one of the guys I fish with has a propane auger I like it a lot it starts great but the first time I used it I didn't no that it turned the opposite way it kinda threw me off balance but its a great auger just my 2 cents

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #89 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:04 PM »
I'd say it depends on your style and the lakes' potential. As noted, some fish just don't fit in an 8" hole. I've only had one that was a difficult fit and that in an 8.25" Eskimo hole. Still........got 'er in and back without too much trouble. That said, since I primarily target pike, my power auger has a 10" drill. I have an 8" lazer hand drill for early and late.

Now, if you're jigging and hole hopping and just looking for an easier way to drill a bunch of holes, then 8 is the way to go. Heck fire, maybe even look around for a 6" if that's your style.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.