Author Topic: So I am thinking about making a wind break out of a sled and some PVC.  (Read 6522 times)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hardwater diehard, I was checking around for rubber stripping and that stuff is expensive. On the other hand a bicycle  tube is cheap. Might go that way. I have to go pick up my sled today. I dread that drive. It is 65 miles away and the wife is sick so traveling alone makes it even longer.

go to a junkyard and get ford body side weather stripping off a mustang or f150 - should be plenty to choose from and you can walk out with 10' for less than $5. The hatch strip off a fox body would be perfect - they're steel reinforced

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well you have enough options ..(i am sure to add more ) send us some pictures once you decide and settle on a plan . Good luck. Let me know how you like that 66" jet sled ..think I am going that route myself this season ..I have an Otter in that size ..but just too heavy I liv e my smaller jet sled but need just a tad more room for hub transport and gear.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Will post pictures once it is done. As for the 66" sled, I will be going by myself from now on and I wont need the heavy Pop up I had nor the extra bottles of propane or the Buddy heater, anchors pee bucket for the wife , 2 chairs, lunch and drinks for 2, large tackle box, extra poles and reels, 2 fish finders and gas auger or the smity sled for that matter. So I think pulling this sled with just a hand auger, 1 chair, drill, 2 poles,   scoop and one box of lures and jigs is going to be a breeze. Of course I will have a small lunch box with only a couple of extra drinks. I don't spend a whole day out only about 4-5 hours.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
OK so it is my first try but satisfied with the results. $6 Tarp and it will definitely keep the wind off me. In fact if it rained the only thing that could possibly get wet is my Sorel boots. And they don't leak. Here it is. I also have a larger style chair in it. I put an anchor in the middle on the back and I have eyebolts on each of the uprights that  anchors goes through.

I know there are people that can do a better job than I did but heck, it will work for me. The sled and material is about 23#'s. I will be bring another 10-15#'s at most.
<===Lefty===

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice job lefty...need a fishing partner?  ::)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
NIce I like it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Nice job lefty...need a fishing partner?  ::)
I usually go to the Blue Mesa for ice fishing but sometimes to Crawford or the Grand Mesa. Crawford should be horrible this year. It is really low so it will be filling up all winter and weakening the edges.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
NIce I like it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Should have had the wife take a side picture while I was in it. Completely under the sled. The sled goes over my head and out in front of me by at least 5 inches.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
What did you use for the framing ..I am amazed that it "stands" by its self ..or is the anchor the key ?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
What did you use for the framing ..I am amazed that it "stands" by its self ..or is the anchor the key ?
Just 2 pieces of PVC board .75x1.5 It is very stable with out any anchors. I have 3 Anchors 1 for the center on the sled at the bottom and 2 -1 each side of the uprights. That sled is huge and I can push down on the top of it and the PVC holds up real well. Jet Sled XL 31"x66"x 12"deep. Fits in the Volts wagon with the rear seats down which means I will save on Fuel if I want to use it. 1.9 Diesel turbo. I have a Ford Explorer for when the weather is bad. I had bought 2 1x2 Pine boards to mount on the sides of the sled but didn't need them. I bought a grommet kit and added 4 grommets on each side of the tarp to attach to the PVC. The other part just had 3 grommets going down the rails. Might add more on the sled if need be.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Ok so I am now looking to get some canvas tent material for the sides. I am somewhat happy with the plastic tarp but think it would be better with canvas. I just checked and will get an answer back from a local company that makes tons of Tent material items. Weather Port if you have heard of them.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Ok so I am now looking to get some canvas tent material for the sides. I am somewhat happy with the plastic tarp but think it would be better with canvas. I just checked and will get an answer back from a local company that makes tons of Tent material items. Weather Port if you have heard of them.

Nice already a 2.0 version ..maybe weather proof that fabric too

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Nice work Lefty2053 a plus that you have a local source for the canvas tent material.
 Steve

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
OK I redid the tarp with rope instead of the Zip ties. Much safer and looks better. Also the extra flap on the inside I stapled it. Makes it look a lot better. Still waiting for Weather Port to get back to me. Might just call them Monday.
<===Lefty===

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
future reference
https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-170011-Marine-Adhesive/dp/B081XMZQPJ
goop marine adhesive will bond to PE tarps, and hold - I just repaired a tarp with it this weekend and use it patch my shack and atv bag

Catchin' Fish

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Me my self have one in the works.. looks  like this one at soroc products .com.. I think it sportsled.com or some thing along them lines..  already have the swivel seat just need the wind break made up.

https://sportssled.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fsporty-sled-windbreak

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
So I just ordered the Jet Sled XL. 66" by 31". That should be plenty big enough for me. When I get it from Cabela's I will go out and buy the uprights for it. I will either go with PVC 1" or I might just get 1"x2" Boards. The boards would most likely work better to attach the Tarp to them. I could wrap it around and then staple it on. There wont be much weight on the uprights.

Lefty...have you considered conduit over PVC? Won't crack or break and I think it might be cheaper and maybe a little lighter. Just a thought.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Me my self have one in the works.. looks  like this one at soroc products .com.. I think it sportsled.com or some thing along them lines..  already have the swivel seat just need the wind break made up.

https://sportssled.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fsporty-sled-windbreak
Another good design. Let me see pictures when your done.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Lefty...have you considered conduit over PVC? Won't crack or break and I think it might be cheaper and maybe a little lighter. Just a thought.
Yes but I am already done making it. Worked out great and once I used Rope to hold it on it even worked better. That canvas company won't make what I wanted but I did find out Walmart and Home depot bot carry canvas material in their paint section for drop cloths. Will see how the tarp works out this year and modify next year if need be. This thing covers me almost totally except for my feet. Everything else is under it.
<===Lefty===

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
A great waterproof, light weight rip-stop vinyl coated polyester  canvas. I made an insulated Flip ice house floor, seat for my Riding Snowdog and snap on boat cover. 60" wide sold by the yard. Price has gone up a bit due to covid

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0616543/ottertex-waterproof-canvas-aqua

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
A great waterproof, light weight rip-stop vinyl coated polyester  canvas. I made an insulated Flip ice house floor, seat for my Riding Snowdog and snap on boat cover. 60" wide sold by the yard. Price has gone up a bit due to covid

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0616543/ottertex-waterproof-canvas-aqua

I was just looking at that same material for 6.99 a yard. Just a different company.  Did you put your own Grommets on yours? I bought a grommet kit already. Thanks for the info. I most likely will use the tarp I have this year and see how it holds up and buy the tarp next year. Here is the place I found it.
https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/products/waterproof-outdoor-canvas-fabric?variant=20097658118&msclkid=bdfcc11259ae14a72ae39e65d32643e4&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20Shop%20-%20Canvas%20Fabric&utm_term=4577060749200201&utm_content=SHOPIFY_US_3403209219_31882274252%20%7C%20Canvas%20Waterproof%20Fabric%20-%20Banana%20Many%20Colors%20Available%20%7C%20%246.99
<===Lefty===

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was just looking at that same material for 6.99 a yard. Just a different company.  Did you put your own Grommets on yours? I bought a grommet kit already. Thanks for the info. I most likely will use the tarp I have this year and see how it holds up and buy the tarp next year. Here is the place I found it.
https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/products/waterproof-outdoor-canvas-fabric?variant=20097658118&msclkid=bdfcc11259ae14a72ae39e65d32643e4&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20Shop%20-%20Canvas%20Fabric&utm_term=4577060749200201&utm_content=SHOPIFY_US_3403209219_31882274252%20%7C%20Canvas%20Waterproof%20Fabric%20-%20Banana%20Many%20Colors%20Available%20%7C%20%246.99

My bad, your link is where I got the fabric, there in New Jersey same price I paid. Yes I did my own Gromets only they were snaps. Also did my own sewing - 1973 machine (38#) from Craiglist for $20. All machined steel parts, its a beast that sews canvas.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Good job, maybe I will look for a Sewing machine to handle it.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
OK here is my update. Went out to look at a guy's ice gear for sale. (Junk) Didn't want that but saw a Garage sale on the way there and stopped at it.  There was rolls and folded material laying on the ground. Wasn't sure and still am not sure what it is but it is really heavy duty water proof vinyl of some sort. Asked the guy what it was and he said, he didn't know but it doesn't wear out. Asked him how much it was and he said make an offer. I picked one roll that was enough to do my shelter at least 2 times and said how about $5 for it. He said sure. So that is what I will use after my regular tarp wears out. The material is 5' long with black on the inside and brown on the outside.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.