Author Topic: % that have a floating suit??  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
% that have a floating suit??
« on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:28 AM »
  As I scan this sight, in the many good photo's,  I notice many that do not have some sort of "floating suit", I would say in my neck of the woods its about 50%, what is the estimate in your area??

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: % that have a floating suit??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:32 AM »
< 10%
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:35 AM »
my family is 100% floating suit. no sinkers. i try to help others buy into them, but they think "it" will never happen to them. they are too smart for "that" to happen to them.
so for out side of my family it's 0%. some wear ice suits tho, just not float assist.
live and learn or not.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:40 AM »
I don't pay  attention on what other guys wear but in my group of guys I regularly fish with its about 50%.3 out of 6 guys I fish with have float suits including me.lots of carhartt wearers around here.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:42 AM »
Most of the guys I have fished with, I have talked them into one, although are saying I only go once a week and they cost a lot, it takes only once with a dip with carharts on and you might not get out!!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Ive got the full predator suit its a good piece of mind plus keeps you very warm on the cold windy days
Salmonemia

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:51 AM »
I would say less than 25% here.  For me personally, even on 50-60 degree days I still at least wear my predator bibs for the flotation.  I also have the predator jacket but I don't always wear it on warmer days. 

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:02 AM »
It's about 50% with the group I fish with some of us bought ice suits like the frabil fxe so suits that do not float before there was a decent selection of suits that float.I'm not going to throw away my perfectly good non floating suit to get a floating suit,however I most likely will get at least a floating parka when it is time for a new coat,also durability will be a deciding factor.ice gear is very expensive if I purchase a suit I want to know it's gonna last like 10 years like my old carharts did.I do feel these floathing suits make people become complacent on ice.when I started ice fishing 30+ years ago people didn't have floating suits they were more aware of ice conditions

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:03 AM »
1/2 a suit floating is better than none at all!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:05 AM »
It's about 50% with the group I fish with some of us bought ice suits like the frabil fxe so suits that do not float before there was a decent selection of suits that float.I'm not going to throw away my perfectly good non floating suit to get a floating suit,however I most likely will get at least a floating parka when it is time for a new coat,also durability will be a deciding factor.ice gear is very expensive if I purchase a suit I want to know it's gonna last like 10 years like my old carharts did.I do feel these floathing suits make people become complacent on ice.when I started ice fishing 30+ years ago people didn't have floating suits they were more aware of ice conditions
             Like you say , they are not a save all, you still have to have common sense, which I see less and less on the ice over the last 50 years of ice fishing!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Out of my core fishing group of 5 anglers I have a floating suit and the rest have slowly bought non floating  Ice Angler dedicated suits as opposed to multitasking other outerwear  ...and the one buddy just scored a deal on a floating parka now  that 30 %  ...so its slowly catching on as these things become more popular via reviews and actual in person interaction on the ice the non floating suit will go they way of your  grandpas auger spoon .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:04 AM »
this year, out of all the guys I've fished with or around, it would be right around 0%. After this crummy winter, a lot more guys are thinking about it. I know I will be getting one and a buddy of mine said he will be also. But, most guys have the old "zebra crossing the river" attitude. It'll happen to the guy next to them and not them.

Chute82

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:17 AM »
I wear a kayak life vest under my Gortex coat and pants...does that count?  The two guys I fish with one has a float suit, the other does not and I wear a pfd...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:24 AM »
I would be willing to bet it's 98% or higher that don't have floating suits up here.
Mind you our ice is much, much safer than down where the majority of our members are from.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:27 AM »
When I got into ice fishing my first suit for the first 2-3 years was a 1 piece hunting camo suit. Needless to say it wasn't all that warm. The owners at a local bait shop that I frequent during the ice season tried to get me to buy a floating suit for about 2 years. Didn't have the money to buy it at the time. 3 years ago I ended up using my tax refund to purchase a striker suit. Now I am glad I did. It's a lot warmer and gives me some peace of mind if I were to fall through. Even with it on I won't take any chances if I don't feel safe.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:30 AM »
I'll say 85% of the anglers I saw this mild ice season were wearing their flotation suits. Small demographic in Northeast Ohio...
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:34 AM »
I have one and my buddy has one! TEAM STRIKER!! Other than that in my area, I have seen no one else wearing one................The ir loss. They are warm, comfortable, and a little safer.
Im very pleased with my suit, wish I would have done it sooner actually!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:16 AM »
just got a striker suit

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Happy to see that more and more of the guys i fish with are getting them!  I know I sure feel a lot safer - especially with C R A P ice in Indiana this year.

Offline Jeff B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:48 AM »
I just got a Arctic Armor Pro suit and like it very much.There are a few guys that have floatation suits but not many.I have no regrets  spending the money to have a good floatation suit
:icefish: SPANKIN GILLS and SPECKS :icefish:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:55 AM »
I just got a Arctic Armor Pro suit and like it very much.There are a few guys that have floatation suits but not many.I have no regrets  spending the money to have a good floatation suit

You may be one if not the only IS member to have the new AA Pro Suit ...you should consider doing a review ... on its fit,sizing material etc .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2016, 12:12 PM »
I have the SI Climate suit.  Just received this past Christmas from the wife.  When I told her what I wanted for x-mas, she couldn't get to the computer fast enough to order it.  Until joining Ice Shanty, I wasn't even aware floating suits existed.  She worries about me everytime I hit the ice, often taking a drive and peering out where she knows I'm fishing to make sure I'm still top side.  lol  I would guess the percentage that own them locally is very low though.  The price, while well worth it in my mind, is much more than most ice fishers around here are willing to pay, floating or not.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Since I mostly fish by myself I guess I can say 100% of my group has one. I always encourage guys going out to wear some type of flotation. Not everyone can afford the flotation suits. But then what is the price tag for a life? Before the purchase I wore my boat pfd's. Plus I carry a throwable boat cushion along with 75 feet of rope with a clasp on the end. That's in case someone else goes in. Hopefully will never have to use it.   Lou

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Maybe 50% have at least the jacket. Seen some that wear their open water inflatable PFD under their heavy jacket (early / late ice) and it doesn't seem to hamper their movements much. Could be uncomfortable in run and gun mode, safer than nothing

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2016, 02:06 PM »
I would say less than 20% in Minnesota, maybe even less than 10% from what I have seen.   Alot of Ice Armor suits here.   I will say that I made the conversion to Striker this year, and I couldn't be happier.   Great suit, and the flotation aspect gives me some peace of mind! 

Doug

Chute82

« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:28 PM »
My wife did not buy me a float suit for x mas but she did up my life insurance policy...should I worry?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:32 PM »
My wife did not buy me a float suit for x mas but she did up my life insurance policy...should I worry?
    I'd be looking over my shoulder!!

Chute82

« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:36 PM »
    I'd be looking over my shoulder!!

She is from Youngstown, Ohio so I always keep my good eye on her ::)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Hard to say I seldom fish near others, but I bought one this year and so did my daughter.

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:46 PM »
I am new to ice fishing I didn't know that they had flotation suits guess I will look into one of them . Who has a recommendation?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.