Author Topic: "Cabin" style shelter question  (Read 1860 times)

Offline lenawee fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
"Cabin" style shelter question
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Hello all I am looking for info on cabin style shelters. I am wanting to get a two person shelter for my daughter and I, want to get her out fishing this winter. I need something that I can transport in a Ford Taurus and pull by myself. We live in southern Michigan and will focus on pannies. Any one have some pros and cons or other ideas? All thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: "Cabin" style shelter question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:11 PM »
It would be cheaper and probably more room to get a hub style. 
  BE THERE!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:19 PM »
I have looked at them - Hub styles but seems like moving on the ice would be more difficult?

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:20 PM »
I agree look for a hub, not sure if even the smallest minuteman shelter would fit in your taurus. check craigslist for your area there are both the minuteman and hubs in your area.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Welcome to the shanty there are allot of child boards for every topic you can think of to do with ice fishing.
Here is the shanty board:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=33.0
And don't be afraid to use the search function.

With that said you want a hub type I'd go with a Eskimo Quick fish 3 for 2 people I love mine for me and one other person.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:58 PM »
I have an old Junior Clam Minuteman style and holy christmas is it heavy. I don't doubt it's 85 lbs. It's nice having a full tub floor, that's for sure, but this year I am getting a new hub shelter. One that folds up and will fit inside my jetsled. If you fish for pannies and need something easily mobile then you definitely want a flip over of some sort, but again we are talking a heavy unit (70 plus lbs for a 2 man). And they aren't cheap-$500 seems to be a middle of the road unit for those things

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:19 PM »
maybe a suitcase style and a set of roof racks and a smittysled,at least you will have a floor,I dont know where you will be fishing but in my area we sometimes get a little water on the ice,and kids like to play in it and are more prone to falling on the slick ice than adults are,I had my kids on the ice at 3 and 4 now I got a 3 year old grandaughter that will be going this year good luck on whatever you decide

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:06 PM »
I have looked at them - Hub styles but seems like moving on the ice would be more difficult?

The hubs have eyelets at the center of each side for tying down.  I tie my sled to one of the eyelets and grab the eyelet opposite of it and just pull the whole works.  This works good as long as there isn't a bunch of fresh snow to catch on the back part of the shack as you go along.  When that happens is when it really gets interesting, I just stand up in the thing and hold it up off the ground a bit and use the window to see where I'm going. 

Once you get the hang of setting up a hub it can be taken down or put up in about a minute, a little longer if you're anchoring it.  The hubs fold up incredibly small, and weigh a LOT less than a flipover or suitcase style.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:15 PM »
I'd get a hub as they setup and move quickly.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:23 PM »
A Shappell DX3000 should fit in the trunk of your car, it folds up into its own sled too. They are also of exceptional quality for the price; I fished out of one for years. It was a really great shack! It is still in use as a loaner to folks who want to get into the sport.

If you are set on a suitcase, make sure you check these out.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Was thinking the same thing Skip, a 3000. Not sure it would fit in the trunk of the Taurus up to 2004 or 2005. After that it was bigger sedan that used the old Volvo platform. No idea how big the trunk is on those.

Most Ford sedan rear seat cushions can be removed without tools in 10 or 15 seconds, and put back almost as quickly. That gives you a lot easier loading (and overall room) into the backseat. After that it's the width between the interior door panels that will be the issue. I could fit a JetSled in the backseat of my 96 Sable no problem.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:34 PM »
I had a Honda Accord..... My shap fit in the trunk. ;)

The current ride (beside my truck) is a newer Buick LeSaber. I bet I could fit 4 DX3000 shacks in there! It is a really compact design!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:10 PM »
I'm gonna address this first - a "cabin" style or "suitcase" , as stated ya want to had pull it alone. They pull like a loaded down barge with a small amount of snow. If ya want to go this route check this thread out ...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0 

Real cheap to make - all ur gear and your daughter on top and ya probably could pull with one hand ...

Second thing - cabin vs hub - with a cabin it will give ya a floor, hub not. Hub will fit into a bag or when ya move just collapse it and toss it on top of your sled.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:09 PM »
My first thought was also to get a hub style (I have the Eastman Outdoors "IceCube") , but there is another alternative which would be light, easily set up and taken down.  I refer to the "PAK SHACK" line of flip overs.  You can get a two or three man style for very little $$$$.  Basically, it's a comfortable chair with a flip over tent attached.  I have the one man version and use it all the time when I'm alone.  Just one thing.....they are VERY LIGHT, so if it's breezy, be sure to put an ice anchor through one of the holes in the chair legs..

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012, 02:02 PM »
Really appreciate all the info I have been getting. It has been a lot of help. I really like the idea of having a floor to keep her feet of the ice. Kids and comfort seem to go hand in hand. Any thoughts on the Frabill Refuge? I have seen those in the stores near me and they seem to fit the bill.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:42 PM »
I have no experience with that shack, But it looks very similar in design to the DX3000. I would try one out in the store if you can. See if it is something that you can set up and take down easily. I would not hesitate to buy a Frabil, they have good fabric and black color soaks up a ton of heat from the sun.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:04 PM »
ever seen those plastic carry cases for two liter pop bottles the distributors use???work great when its sluhy or deep water on the ice...flipem over...they dont freeze in the ice...just alittle brittle in really cold temps...but work great!elevate feet offf the ice !
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Jackpine Savage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:03 PM »
I've  used a Shappel  shanty on Houghton Lake for years. It has molded bucket holders for tackle  and bait.  Used a couple  bungee  cords  to hold my drill on top. With the folding skis  I was was able to pull it out on the ice.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Shappells are nice I own one they are get for transporting take up little space and are light weight. You build yourself a smitty sled and you could drag that thing for miles.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Like most others  said shappell...good fiend of mine ties his on a ski rack atop his subaru  ;D
Budweiser pro staff

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2012, 01:30 AM »
http://frabill.com/portable-ice-shelters/hub-style/thermal-headquarters-6-man-hub-shelter.html

this will be my next purchase coz you can never have to much room...
i have the smaller 2-3 man outpost and love it but have outgrown it with 3 girls and a boy that ALL wanna go this year....

i personally like the ice floor but have thought about bringing along a piece of carpet or maybe even some kinds fake turf
you wouldnt want to let that get frozen in though....
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.