Author Topic: " Y " not pike?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
" Y " not pike?
« on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:12 AM »
I just wondered through exploring the I.S. why folks don't seem to like pike much. Is it the Y bones? To me a fresh pike tastes close to as good as a walleye.

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: " Y " not pike?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:20 AM »
Hi,

I agree -> Pike are delicious!
Very sweet white meat.

There are some good videos on YouTube that show how to fillet Pike and easy too!

SeaDog1

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:25 AM »
I like my pikes from cold hard water.  Even better is a pike from trout filled water.   ;D  They tastes like the food they eat.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:50 AM »
Pike is very good eating. Alot of people are turned off by the y bones. However these can be filleted out easily. The way I was taught is the 5 piece fillet method.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:03 AM »
3/4 of my ice fishing is for Pike  to me its one of the best eating fish there is!
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:20 AM »
I agree. The Y bones are a fillet technique that can be learned. You may end up with some northern McNuggets for a while but who doesn't like chowder. I have showed many people to fillet pike and if they do it enough they get better. Plus the fight is great!! Thats why I say, whats the problem with them. Many people on this site say I'm not a pike guy or I don't fish for them much or at all but catch them by accident. Imagine if they did.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:30 AM »
Pike Chowder !!!

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:27 AM »
They're really good pickled as well and you don't have to worry about removing the Y bones
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:34 AM »
I mainly target pike..catching the perch while jigging is just a way to pass time between flags...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:44 AM »
Slayer is right.  Nothing like a pike on a tipup.  As good to eat as perch and you only need to fillet a few to feed the crew, not 100.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:36 AM »
I just wondered through exploring the I.S. why folks don't seem to like pike much. Is it the Y bones? To me a fresh pike tastes close to as good as a walleye.

The problem is around these parts we have minimus size limits, slots are pretty rare for pike.  There is so much fishing pressure that I have no desire to keep an adult spawner, which is basically what the law requires you to do with minimus size limits.  Most of the lakes I fish either have poor pike populations or 32" size limits, and I have little desire to keep a pike that size.

That being said, they sure are tasty!
Prayin' for cold

Offline bobzitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Still Waiting on my ice!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:37 AM »
In northwest Iowa we have an abundance of Pike, i personally fish for pike and Gills, if im not hitting the walleye or perch. I think i caught more Pike this year then i have all my life combined, A friend of mine caught a 10 lber and i caught an 11 lber, what a fight!!!! i cant wait for my honey hole to freeze over so i can get my winter pike!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:43 AM »
It doesn't matter where you stock Pike they soon take over the lake. Here is Colorado I hate the fact they stocked some good Trout lakes with them. Sure you can catch both but I think they should have some lakes for Trout and some for Pike. Mixing IMO is not the way to go.

And this is from a guy that has never targeted Pike and caught a 34 1/2 " one last month the first time I targeted them.
<===Lefty===

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Some of the hate is a regional thing, usually in major trout fishing areas.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Pike are delicious when caught from hard water. I dont mess with them in the summer and dont need to, I usually stock em up all winter long. I agree, for a novice............watc h some youtube vids on how to filet them using the 5 steak method!! Thats the best way. If you knock em before you try em.................you r loss is my gain ;D
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Not to mention one of the most beautiful fish in my opinion! Now im hungry for some pike nuggets!

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Thats all I target most of the time. Perch are fine to catch along with them but always looking for the lunker. I find the best eating pike though are in the 30 -32 inch range

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Pike only excite me when they are over 20 pounds, I'll never forget how excited I was to ice my first hog. Now that we catch lots of big ones anything under 20 seems like a waste of bait and time, chasing flags is alot of fun though. Hoping to break my ice fishing record of 44 inches this winter, or even better yet my summer record of 46 inches.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Hi,

Very sweet white meat.

There are some good videos on YouTube that show how to fillet Pike and easy too!

SeaDog1
THATS A FACT!!!! ;D
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Hi,

Very sweet white meat.

SeaDog1

I agree.  I have not problem with the bones and the flavor is as good as walleye.  IMHO
Shut up and fish.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:48 PM »
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:40 PM »
That almost looks to easy. There is a nice link after that on fileting perch where he just peels the skin off. Great link.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:12 PM »
I like pike and only keep the big ones on occasion. Those dang Y bones usually keep me away from eating decent pike.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Four years ago I started targeting pike during the day on the lake I fish.  I got sick of grinding out walleye until "prime time."  I tried the 5 fillet method from youtube.  I didn't like it.  I learned how to fillet them boneless off the link I am providing.  It takes some practice on a couple fish but once you get it down, it is well worth the effort.  I love catching eyes and perch but in my opinion, pike are easier to catch and taste just as good as summer walleye. pound for pound, pike are the best fish to target for eating.  I bleed the fish I am going to fillet (cut the gills right after you catch them) and I end up with a white meat that is boneless and delicious.  Cutting the gills makes a great difference on all fish in my opinion.  The link provided is courtesy of the North Dakota Game and Fish and is a public site.  The only problem I find with filleting a pike is you smell like you filled a pike afterwards. 

http://gf.nd.gov/multimedia/ndoutdoors/issues/2011/jan/docs/removing-y-bones-from-pike.pdf
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:19 PM »
We pickle the smaller ones and make Poorman's Lobster out of the bigger ones!    Fillet them out and boil in salt water with Caroway seeds and raw onions.  Dip in melted butter and you will be in heaven.  Every spring I have a fish fry for my friends and the Boiled Pike is what they want, when it's gone then they will eat the Perch, Gills, Crappies, and Walleyes.

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:28 PM »
pike are great fun to catch and great on the plate.  I've made everything from pike chowder to curried pike in coconut milk, all delicious.  May try pickling some this year.

Offline ripstik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:52 PM »
I like to eat pike and have no problems with the"Y" bones. Very tasty.

Offline minimite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:56 PM »
I loved my grandmas pickled northern.   Damn, I miss her

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:59 PM »
I  would take a nice northern fillet over a walleye any day !!!!

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:08 PM »
They're really good pickled as well and you don't have to worry about removing the Y bones

How do you pickle them?
Blake from Elbow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.