Author Topic: " Y " not pike?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
Re: " Y " not pike?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:21 PM »
All great replies. I like the poor mans lobster recipe. I have to try it. Good to see positive feedback from people who know the splendor of pike fishing and eating. The BIG ONES are great smoked!! The few posts from trout guys make sense though and I disagree with introducing any foreign species of plant or animal for any reason to any water. You always end up messing up something else that is indigenous. Correct regulations can be much more advantageous.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:37 AM »
Minimite you got that receipt? if so pm or post it thank you
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline panfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:59 AM »
I love Pike in the winter. When I keep fish, I always cut it fresh. I cut my Pike in three fillets, sides and top, then give the rest to my neighbor and he makes some kind of soup. I agree that its great like Walleye, but much better in winter than summer.
Looooooooooooove to fish, born to fish.
Let em' big suckers go!

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:36 AM »
fillet and cut into 1-1 1/2' pieces place in a glass bowl with brine solution
Brine
1 cup pickling salt
6 cups water(soft or bottled water is best)

Cover and put in fridge for about 12 hrs
When your ready you boil up your pickling solution
1/2 cup white or brown suger
1/2 cup distilled water
1 cup white vinegar(at least 5%)
1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon pickling spice
2 -4 cloves
 That is a basic pickling solution but you can tinker with it,I don't usually use the cloves
bring this to a boil than reduce heat,cover and simmer for 10 mins or so.my recipe says the solution should be around 160-180 degrees before pouring over fish.
put your chunks of fish in mason jars and cover with pickling solution.At this point you can get creative  and add onions,hot peppers,celery etc.Put the lids on the jars and put them in the fridge for about 5 days,shake the bottles once during the 5 days and your good to go,it should last about 6 weeks
 I would add that this works best with fish out of cold water(should'nt be a problem for us ;D)I tried this once with a pike I caught in warmer summer water and ended up with a bottle of MUSH  :P
This is just a basic recipe that we found but I'm sure there has to be 100's of versions
Good luck
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:43 AM »
will try that thank you..   Ice just  covered the pond today. got home from work this am and   WE GOT HARD WATER!!! SO WONT BE LONG NOW
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Yup, gotta agree that Pike are excellent.  When you think of what they eat, how can they not be good!  Wood eat that over a walleye any day.  But I do enjoy a good walleye as well.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Anything with pickle in it cant be bad.
Blake from Elbow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.