Author Topic: Turned down again  (Read 1206 times)

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Turned down again
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:36 PM »
After leaving work this morning, I went on a quest to find a Christmas tree. While driving, I found myself looking at all the small lakes and ponds with a skim of ice, aand decided to start inquiring about fishing these small bodies of water after they freeze. I'm coming to hate the word liability, cause that is what most people say they don't want with someone ice fishing. Have any of you come across this kind of response, and has anyone figured out a way past peoples anxiety over letting someone fish hardwater on their properties? My looks and charm are lacking so I need another angle @)

Offline duckbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Turned down again
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:45 PM »
There are a few way to help ease peoples anxiety about letting you fish their property.
1. You could have a release of liability drawn up and notarized (basically saying that you will not hold the land owner responsible for any injury you incur on his property).
2. Offer to do some work on his property in exchange for fishing rights, build a relationship
3. You could purchase sportsmans insurance
4. And when all else fails, keep trying. You may get 20 no's to one yes

Offline schaisson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Master Maine Guide
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Here in Maine, we have a law that says basically "If you allow public recreation on  your property, you cannot be held liable for an accident.  Unless you purposely create a way for the accident to happen (Dig a pit and cover it over in the middle of a trail, etc.).
The above tips are also great advise.

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Sounds like good old common sense in maine . That would never work in connecticut unless they could tax it .

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:16 PM »
lure loon, that is very true !

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:26 PM »
lure loon, that is very true !
That Is the law in Ct as well. It is listed in the hunting guide on the waiver. Good luck and keep trying

Offline perchguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:42 PM »
I hear that word liability alot.

Offline walleyehntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:59 PM »
That would never work here in Wisconsin either....way to many liberals that are just looking to start a lawsuit for anything. Here is proof that Wisconsin is backwards http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20111208/APC0101/111208035/Bill-takes-control-state-Capitol-away-from-governor-s-office?odyssey=mod|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:07 PM »
2. Offer to do some work on his property in exchange for fishing rights, build a relationship

This has worked more then once for me, 3 lake accesses from Posted private property I traded even for a few hours of labor, 2 are a year round property security gig for me now. it never fails to get their attention when they hear FREE labor !

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:24 PM »
That would never work here in Wisconsin either....way to many liberals that are just looking to start a lawsuit for anything. Here is proof that Wisconsin is backwards http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20111208/APC0101/111208035/Bill-takes-control-state-Capitol-away-from-governor-s-office?odyssey=mod|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE

as of this year things started lookingup for the state. Therea are just a few special intrest groups that are holding us back (unions).....

When I was younger i always seems to get permission to bowhunt on farmers land. I always offered helps around the farm in exchange. I usually got permission to hunt but everyone always said dont worry about helping, they wee jsut glad I offered.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:33 PM »
In Indiana there is a law that protects landowners. It says that if a landowner gives you permission, they cannot be liable if you are hurt on their property. But here's the retarded kicker....someone trespassing on their land that gets injured can sue them. ???
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:18 PM »
I'm going to count myself fortunate.  We don't have to worry about private lakes in my neck of the woods.  Lakes up here are public domain regulated by the gov.
Blake from Elbow

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:56 AM »

Actually, Wisconsin does have that law:  http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/G3326.PDF

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:08 AM »
as of this year things started lookingup for the state. Therea are just a few special intrest groups that are holding us back (unions).....

When I was younger i always seems to get permission to bowhunt on farmers land. I always offered helps around the farm in exchange. I usually got permission to hunt but everyone always said dont worry about helping, they wee jsut glad I offered.

Unions are not holding us back u must be one of them scott walker backers read into laws and state facts before you speak and or type thanks!!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:51 AM »

Still don't understand why people are so misinformed about unions. This so called union problem supports my family and I, along with millions of other people.
There is no substitute for union craftsmanship.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.