Author Topic: "bait flare" chum cloud?  (Read 4575 times)

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
"bait flare" chum cloud?
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Not sure this is legal in all areas,.but wondering if anyone has tried this?

&feature=related

It looks like the guy that invented it is on a shoestring budget and doesn't have the money for a slick commercial or packaging.

If it does have some merit it would be nice if he has success with it.

I like to see a little guy do well.

However I don't know if it works or really can in winter. I'm guessing you don't have big plankton blooms to bring in fish,..or how long it would take to do so,..anyway maybe this has been looked at here but it was new to me,..

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: "bait flare" chum cloud?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:00 PM »
oops,..how'd ya do that finlessbrown?

why didn't my attempt at a link  work?

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:06 PM »
when you are on the post page where you type what you want to appear, click on the little blue globe that you see  in the "Add BBC tags:" section and copy and paste the link between there. hope this makes sense

Offline iceman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:33 PM »
stuff works great as one of my sponsers. only place i know its not legal is in minnesota.

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:10 PM »
id have to check if it was legal in indiana...looks intresting enough to give it a shot

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Ok,..great,..thank you Finlessbrown!

Offline icedd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Crushed egg shells in a spice bottle dry them out and use a rolling pin to crush em a little shake goes a long ways

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Interesting.

I wonder what kind of chum if releases? Chunks of sucker meat? Fish eggs? Smelt pieces?

JIGGIN.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Saw a guy jiggin for panfish use a brown paper bag once!  Filled it with cracker crumbs and put a rock in it......tied the top of the bag up with clothesline with about a 10 foot strand hanging off......dropped it in the hole about 5 feeg deep........waited a few minutes for the bag to soad up some water and gave it a jerk which broke the bag due to the weight of the rock which released all of the cracker crumbs into the water!  He was slaying the gills for about 30 minutes and then repeated the process!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:42 AM »
This looks interesting.  I would think it would be legal in any states that allow chumming.  Nebraska should be ok.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Good way to attract 'em in Idaho and if discovered by FAG, be relieved of your license, maybe for years.      :nono:

Offline BaitFlare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:25 AM »

****MINNESOTA DNR REVIEW, Legal use of the BaitFlare.****

The last week of December 2010, I shipped the Department of Natural Resource in Minnesota a care package of product samples and desrcriptions of the use of and contents within the packages. I also included a cover letter and non-disclousure letter asking that they only let us know if the BaitFlare was legal to use in Minnesota, not to set any new standards. I was transferred up the ranks a number of times to Pat Watts, and she requested I ship the package to her,....and I did.
     Over the next eight months I would call to check on the status of the submission every 3-4 weeks. At times I would hear of it passing one test...then concerns about other aspects, but everything seamed to be proceeding smoothly intil the State shut-down the beginning of July 2011. My biggest concern was having to start from scratch after the shut down....but once the DNR was back to work, I got the following communications about the Legal use of the Bait Flare in Minnesota....

-- On Wed, 8/17/11, Watts, Pat M (DNR) 
Subject: Bait Flare in Minnesota
To: Larry KirchnerCc: "Erickson-Eastwood, Linda (DNR)" Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 2:53 PM

Mr. Larry Kirchner:
Per our phone conversation this morning, Minnesota DNR does not have any particular concerns with the use of the Bait Flare in the quantities you are using in the packets.  Our only concern would be if a large number of packets were used, as that use could cross over into littering violations.

Thank you for your patience.  As I mentioned this morning, our Fisheries folks thought they had responded to you earlier this summer.  Normally this type of product review would take a few weeks at the most.

Again, thank you.

Pat Watts

Enforcement Policy/Legal Analyst
Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources

Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:07 AM
To: Watts, Pat M (DNR)
Subject: Re: Bait Flare in Minnesota

Thank you Pat, does this mean that an angler using one or two in a day would not be cited for any violations to Minnesota Laws?

Larry Kirchner

"Watts, Pat M (DNR)"
To: "Larry Kirchner"

That should not be a problem.

Pat Watts
Enforcement Policy/Legal Analyst
Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources

When used sensibly, and in moderation the BaitFlare can be used in Minnesota waters, joining Illinois and Wisconsin. The Bait Flare was designed, and refined to be a safe and effective fish attractor, while addressing the very issues that most DNR agencies are faced with and are trying to protect the watersheds from.
- Bacteria Introduction-
- Over Baiting-
-Littering-
-Chumming-
-Fish Desease Transfer-
-Organic Matter Saturation-
 I greatly appreciate the effort and time that the Minnesota DNR put into their review. I hope this clarify's some of the questions you have about the legal use of the BaitFlare, and to the anglers in Minnesota...Good Fishing.

LarryKirchner
 BaitFlare.com

Offline panfishhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:44 AM »
oh boy your on this site now lol jk. now everyone is gonna know my secret

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:49 AM »
I like to mix attractant with oat meal and put it in pill bottles. It sits on the water for a bit, soaks up water and slowly sinks. You do see it on your sonar as it sinks though.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2011, 11:01 AM »
I like to mix attractant with oat meal and put it in pill bottles. It sits on the water for a bit, soaks up water and slowly sinks. You do see it on your sonar as it sinks though.

Rice works too, Dawg. Back when I speared pike, I would throw a couple of handfuls of navy beans down the hole to "bring the bottom up"...helped in stained waters and dark bottoms.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2011, 08:06 AM »
This is an interesting idea, and I wouldn't mind trying them if its legal in SD.  Anyone know where you can buy these at, it might have said in the video but I didn't make it till the end.

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2011, 08:25 AM »
There was a product made years ago by water devil called the fish lure, a very similar dissolving fish attractant, the only difference was it was it a compressed powder tablet that dispersed a pheromone based attractant upon contact with water. That product seemed geared more towards catching fisherman than it did catching fish !

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2011, 06:52 PM »
I'd print that note form DNR and have it in your pocket for the warden with an attitude :D

We use Zoom here in MT. (oatmeal like breakfast cereal) works good
Get bit!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.