Author Topic: "Flip-over" Ice huts  (Read 1837 times)

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
"Flip-over" Ice huts
« on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:36 PM »
I was talking to a gentlemen while fishing Sat. about "Flip-over"
Ice huts, he says he knows a guy that uses one & that the
main reason he has it  is because of the advantage he has when fishing
when the sun is out......because of casting shadows under the ice.
I never really looked at this so-called advantage ??? I have a "Guide"
by clam corp. &  I seldom flip over the tent! , am I missing out on this?
does anyone have a related story to bring a truth to this theory?
This is the second season I have had my portable & I have never notice
a difference..... again we seldom have severe enough weather for me
to "flip-it" ( ya I know what your thinking, then why do you have it?)
I ask myself that same question almost every time I take it out ;D
But now that my seasons over I'm thinking Iv'e been missing something
here ??? ???....................Zo o. 

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: "Flip-over" Ice huts
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Zoo, I have a Rover 1.5 "flipover" style shanty. The advantages I see are first I'm able to leave all my gear in it from the previous trips. Secondly, by flipping even in some balmy days I find I concentrate on my rod and the Marcum rather than looking around to see how others are doing. Thirdly, especially if it's somewhat cold I enjoy the passive solar heat it collects and the fact that the holes are less likely to freeze up. So mainly I think I'm more focused when I'm inside my "cocoon". I probably fish with it flipped 95% of the time. Also part of that would be that I mainly jig and rarely set tip-ups.   Lou

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Zoo, I have a Rover 1.5 "flipover" style shanty. The advantages I see are first I'm able to leave all my gear in it from the previous trips. Secondly, by flipping even in some balmy days I find I concentrate on my rod and the Marcum rather than looking around to see how others are doing. Thirdly, especially if it's somewhat cold I enjoy the passive solar heat it collects and the fact that the holes are less likely to freeze up. So mainly I think I'm more focused when I'm inside my "cocoon". I probably fish with it flipped 95% of the time. Also part of that would be that I mainly jig and rarely set tip-ups.   Lou
  Lou I'm the same way i never come out of my cocoon till its time to move i drill 2 holes in mine what i love is the storage like you said Ive got the rover 1.5 too i love it

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:59 PM »
I dunno about the shadows, but like Lou, I spend 95% of my time with the Scout flipped closed.  Concentrate better, less hole freezover, warmer, wind doesn't bother your line/spring bobber.  And if you are on clear water, you can easily close the window flaps and sight fish.

Jeff

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I to like the room for storage, only time I'm out is to move just flip back and go

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:14 PM »
I used to wonder why some people would sit in the shanty all day long at just one place. Then I bought a yukon and I must say I hardly ever get out of it anymore. Not to mention I love the convenience of having everything inside the sled with me.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Another thought that came to mind after reading the responses is that when you do move to a new spot you have very little chance of losing anything. Since the sled is totally enclosed with the fabric nothing can fall out. Also as opposed to the "suitcase" style, if you don't have it staked down when it's windy as soon as you step out it's ready to go sailing across the lake. I found with the suitcase being anchored I was less likely to move to a new spot when I wasn't catching anything. On a side note, has anyone found a particular hole pattern more convenient than another? I drill two holes on the right side perpendicular to the sled. This makes it easier to get up and walk out the door since it folds back to the right. That way you don't have to step over any holes. Also you can use a rod holder that attaches to the frame work tubing rather than something else on the ice to be kicked down the hole. Just some thoughts.   Lou

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:53 PM »
We had one of those suitcase style shacks and sat in it one day not moving and not catching anything just for the reason you mentioned.  Couldn't get out if it without it blowing across the lake.  Plus it beat us up inside it was so cramped.  Got off of the lake early, went to Knutson's in Michigan, sold it in their parking lot to a guy looking for a used shanty, and went in and bought a Clam FT Yukon.  Never looked back and we LOVE the Yukon.  Wind can blow, it won't move, and you have enough room the canvas doesn't touch you even in high winds.  I also have a Scout and wouldn't trade either for any other brand. 

Between the FishTraps and the recent addition of a power auger, moving is a non issue. 

Jeff

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:30 PM »
We had one of those suitcase style shacks and sat in it one day not moving and not catching anything just for the reason you mentioned.  Couldn't get out if it without it blowing across the lake.  Plus it beat us up inside it was so cramped.  Got off of the lake early, went to Knutson's in Michigan, sold it in their parking lot to a guy looking for a used shanty, and went in and bought a Clam FT Yukon.  Never looked back and we LOVE the Yukon.  Wind can blow, it won't move, and you have enough room the canvas doesn't touch you even in high winds.  I also have a Scout and wouldn't trade either for any other brand. 

Between the FishTraps and the recent addition of a power auger, moving is a non issue. 

Jeff
those suit case shantys are a pain in the arse... ive only used mine 2 times this year.. they are impossible to set up by your self in the wind >:( >:(

Offline Mr.Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I swear there was a fish on!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:35 PM »
I had a suitcase style one, sold it to a friend for 50 bucks.  Went and bought the clam, and now im never going back to a suitcase again!
Two fishes swimming side along and one looks at the other and tells him "I had a near death experiance today, I was swimming along and next thing I knew I was getting pulled down a tunnel with a bright light at the end, i got to the light, looked around and my friends and family were there.  And I saw jesus! And he wears a budweiser hat and he said, it is not your time, go back and I will come for you when you are bigger"

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I have a suitcace style that I had for about 5 years now and have hated that thing ever sence I bought it . around the start of Feb. I bought a frabill cammando and love it . Now there is no reason to sit in the wind or snow . And moving is not a problem any more . Oh and I will NEVER sit in the old one again  :tipup:

Offline bead head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2009, 05:48 PM »
i fish with pa.bob he has a fish trap guide its the cats ass ! we each fish two jiggin rods ,the springs dont freeze up its really comfortable to fish in all day.its quick to move just flip it back a move to different spot. we use it as a wind breaker with the back support rod in and opened if its a little windy but warm out. we were down to cabelas ,hamburg yesterday we found a fish trap yukon in the bargian cave for $402.oo out the door ,it now sits in my basement cant wait untill next year to use it !.   

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:07 PM »
We love our Yukon.  It's the cat's meow!  ...... unless you have to pull it by hand through the snow.  :(

Actually we pulled it through about 4" through the woods to get to the ice one day and it wasn't all that bad.  Helps if you have someone to share pulling duties with.

Jeff

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:21 PM »
On your shade question ZOO, I use home made hole covers  made from 18" squre black sheet foam. It keeps the holes from freezing and blowing snow out. It does seem that I get more flaggs than my buddies. That may be why...Maybe its just the mojo  8)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline heaterhugger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:08 PM »
love mty guide wish i took it today
Oh no another D**N Dink

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Gotta agree.  My Clam Scout is great when I am alone and moving around, but there are times when I know where we will be and that there won't be any moving (lots of people in a SMALL area) and then my Clam 5600 really is nice.  As long as its a no-move day, the suitcase is great.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.