The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Phillips in Dedham  (Read 1394 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Phillips in Dedham
« on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:52 PM »
It's been many years since my Dad and I have spent time on the ice together.  When I was just a wee lad we spent every weekend out on one lake or another, but jobs, kids, marriage, and distance have made it hard for us to get together and enjoy each other's company. 

This week, though, we're going to fish.  We agreed to go to a place where we spent many great days, Lucerne (properly called Phillips, I suppose).  I can't wait to get him back out on the ice, and really hope that he gets a fish or two.  My primary goal is to ensure that he has a good enough time to go out with me again (keep him warm), but it would be a boon to see him ice a keeper like we did in the old days

I've fished Lucerne a few times in the past few years with limited success, mostly straight off the boat landing.  I'm hoping to have better luck this year--I have a new flasher that will help me find the deep hole and hopefully get into some togue. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on this particular lake?  Is it still okay to park beside Camp Capella?  How's the ice? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
Re: Phillips in Dedham
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:04 PM »
Be careful! I work with a guy that lives on the lake and he told me this morning that it was still open in the middle.

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Be careful! I work with a guy that lives on the lake and he told me this morning that it was still open in the middle.

No kidding?  That sucks a whole pile.  Back when I was young and foolish I could talk him into fishing on 2" of ice, but I doubt that he'd be interested in fishing on a lake that has yet to freeze over, these days.  I get the feeling that Green lake is a waste of time and Branch isn't much better.  I'd like to stay close to Bangor and get him on some trout or salmon.  I guess that's getting tougher to do these days, huh?

Thanks for the information, SilverSides!

Offline TroutFever16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:40 PM »
I would not rule out lucerne....I know some guys were on it last week.....and the deep hole isn't far from the landing at Capella.  But if the ice is too sketchy to have a good time without being snugged up to a life jacket than maybe try Brewer Lake....Shacks are out, but sure how much ice but I would guess 5-7inches....but as always check as you go out!  Good luck and its great to go fishing with your dad, I have the same fond memories! Tight Lines!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:07 AM »
I've been past Phillips Lake a number of times lately and until recently, the deep hole and much of the area around the cluster of islands was open water. I wouldn't venture toward the deephole, but there should be enough ice closer to shore.

I wouldn't rule out Branch. The togue fishery has been good for several winters, and there are salmon there again, too.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:10 AM »
I herd that Branch has potential of producing some very large togue.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.