Author Topic: Next 7 night temps down to 20s/single digits, safely get back out?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
With cold night temps next 7 days I wonder if it'll tighten things back up good enough to safely get back out

Cass cty. temp forecast next 7 days
Tonight
Mostly cloudy low around 20
Thursday
Mostly cloudy high near 32
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy low around 23
Friday
Mostly sunny high near 40
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy low around 27
Saturday
Partly sunny high near 38.
Saturday Night
30% chance of snow Mostly cloudy low around 21.
Sunday
50% chance of snow Mostly cloudy high near 25.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy low around 7.
Monday
Sunny and cold high near 17.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy low around 4.
Tuesday
Partly sunny high near 18.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy low around 6.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny high near 24.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Icechuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Look at the average temperature for the 24 hour period.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't know where you find the 24 hour period but we have a serious cold front coming on Sunday!

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
Different Lakes different takes.

Some lakes within 20 miles have a difference of 2-3 inches of Ice.
Guys will be fishing and some unlucky guys will get wet.

spud spud spud

Be safe

\Coop
Coopason

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The ice I was on yesterday was "better" than it was a week ago.  The problem is most if not all of it has a lot of air and cracks in it.  You're not going to want to be on it on one of those days with a significant warm up.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
two counties (calhoun) north from indiana state line last friday on small lake fishing the center of it. lots of trapped air. water moves in the ice holes while walking. when it gets soft it will be very weak ice. some fell thru 5 inches of this type of ice here while it was warm out on the west side of the state and about the same amount of counties north of the line.

6 inches of ice in a 8" diameter hole. 4" is clear and 2" is frozen snow. notice how the gap is larger at the bottom of the crack. this means the ice is sinking as it cracks. it lifts you up and then drops you back down with water moving in the holes big time when it cracks open.
same hole, just zoomed in.

Offline Pondbear

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you 3300 for this info. I saw cracks in the ice in the lake I was on this weekend. Made me kinda nervous when I'd spud and I'd feel cracking and vibrations underneath me.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Was north of the line in Michigan today. Went solo so didnt venture too far. Ice was 7 inches to 8. It was making ice but the cracks and pops were unsettling when alone. It was below freezing but wouldn't wanna be on that kind of ice on a warm day. One damn bass only. Lost a flag on tip up. Stopped spinning when I made the 100 yard dash to the tipup. Stole the bait. I think I'm about done. I spooled some new fly line and ready for the waders
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just got home in northern Noble county and went out to check the pond. I was surprised to see how well the ice really is, I’ll be fishing on it this weekend for sure.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Spud.plain and simple.ice is good around my area still.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Look at the average temperature for the 24 hour period.

Yep, I made a post this year about how much ice is made according to daily average temp. Got it from a Canadian site>>> http://www.keepcanadafishing.com/want-to-know-how-fast-your-lake-will-freeze/

Supposed to take 15 freezing degree days to make 1" ice. You subtract the days(24hr period) ave. temp from 32 to get the freezing degree days.

Say the next 3 days average is 27 each day, that means each day has 5 freezing degree days(32 - 27= 5). So after those 3 days you end up with 15 freezing degree days(3 x 5=15) which makes 1" ice for those 3 days.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
...... notice how the gap is larger at the bottom of the crack. this means the ice is sinking as it cracks. it lifts you up and then drops you back down with water moving in the holes big time when it cracks open.
same hole, just zoomed in.

good post 3300 but not sure what you are talking about here

Only big cracks I've seen is on Maxy which is a large lake, small lakes I've never seen them so I'm not familiar with what you are talking about. Your from great lakes region so you probably seen allot of big cracks so can you explain more what you are talking about. Or post a link that goes indebt. I googled "dangers of cracks in frozen lakes" and didn't find anything.

To me If the ice is sinking then water would be gushing out the hole other wise its not sinking. Or are you talking about what happens to the ice right before you fall thru the ice. Also when ice cracks to me that means its freezing and I always figured when doing that the crack freezes the water in the crack soon after it cracks bonding the crack together.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
good post 3300 but not sure what you are talking about here

Only big cracks I've seen is on Maxy which is a large lake, small lakes I've never seen them so I'm not familiar with what you are talking about. Your from great lakes region so you probably seen allot of big cracks so can you explain more what you are talking about. Or post a link that goes indebt. I googled "dangers of cracks in frozen lakes" and didn't find anything.

To me If the ice is sinking then water would be gushing out the hole other wise its not sinking. Or are you talking about what happens to the ice right before you fall thru the ice. Also when ice cracks to me that means its freezing and I always figured when doing that the crack freezes the water in the crack soon after it cracks bonding the crack together.

i stay close to home to fish and prefer small lakes. this is a crack on a small lake. the picture shows a wider gap on the bottom of the crack. this tells me the plates are not at the same angle they once were. so it's more of a different alignment of the plates at the crack rather than a sinking factor. although to get different alignments like the picture suggests this means either the ice is further down than it once was at the crack or at the other end of the plate it has risen, but feeling what it does while it's happening tells me it has lowered or sunken to a different level of what it was before the crack.
also, when they form and your seated you can feel it raise up and then drop suddenly. as this happens any ice holes you have open will show water moving in them big time. it literally feels like someone picking up the tub of the flip over shanty and the letting go of it so it drops out from under you.
surprised you never had this happen. it happens a lot around here.

i don't know what causes this to happen, but if i were to guess it is because of all of the air in the ice is affecting the plate to do this. maybe trying to lift it and then the weight at other sections won't let stay lifted and lets go and drops and creates a crack with a gap that fills with water and freezes. maybe it is a mini pressure crack.

i'm going back to same lake today at 2pm and i'll see about getting more photos of the cracks. i drilled into them to study it for the first time and shared what i felt was happening with them besides all of the trapped air. my post was more about trapped air than the cracks and suggesting that if your ice is also full of trapped air to be cautious when it warms up again even tho you may have thick ice with trapped air in it. to me with cold temps and with all of the trapped air it felt like i was on 3 inches or less even tho it was 6 inches of mixed ice.

we should be making ice all week and shouldn't have air trapped in the new ice.

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
maybe the water temp is warmer than the air temp and is thawing the crack edges, just a thought

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Could be melting from the bottom up.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think you might be on to something bishop ..... Seems like everything is getting worse day by day pond o are opening up every week and look worse and worse. Even noticed the ground has been doing a slight top layer thaw causing a grease in the feilds even when the temps are at freezing. Gotta figure to that sun is up a little longer each week

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Been watching some sheet water by the house last few days. Freezes over at night and most of the day. Come every evening, its opened up. The crazy thing is, a different spot each day is opened and refroze.
I know a lot has to due with the ground temperature, its just cool to watch the behavior of ice in general though. Especially a day to day basis.
Got one goin'!

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went out on the pond tonight and it hasn’t added any ice this whole week. It still has right at 4” of ice and it’s not real great stuff. I feel the same, it’s melting from the bottom up right now. If you do go spud and wear a p.f.d.

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went to the neighbors this morning and couldn’t believe how much less ice he had from last weekend. All winter his pond has consistently had more ice than mine and today his was less than mine. 3-4” at best. On the south shore it had opened up about 10’ out. I fished for a little bit and decided to leave because I just didn’t feel comfortable on it. Be careful out there!!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks like this will be the last week .... Can't imagine anyone getting back on the weekend. Calling for 40's and rain . Followed by 50's and rain showers

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
I had the same thoughts yesterday, that forecast doesn't look good! Hope they're wrong again LOL! Hex

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
I do but I don't lol .... It's getting a little iffy for my liking to be out now . I'm just ready for these negative temps to go away !

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I do but I don't lol .... It's getting a little iffy for my liking to be out now . I'm just ready for these negative temps to go away !
Same here. I dont like pucker factor with every outing. Dusting off waders and ready for long rods next week
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If it wasnt going to be so gosh darn windy, id be planning on fishing saturday and sunday. Im not going to fight big wind on slick ice. Getting out on thursday, we will see what comes about after the weekend.
Got one goin'!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
Your a week late ftwalley  ;D

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
If it wasnt going to be so gosh darn windy, id be planning on fishing saturday and sunday. Im not going to fight big wind on slick ice. Getting out on thursday, we will see what comes about after the weekend.

Ya that would be a tough time !

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll be out this weekend just like the past 3 weekends. There is good ice and wind sheltered lakes. I'm not hanging it up yet. Not even close.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.