The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: A Word From the Godfather  (Read 2591 times)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
A Word From the Godfather
« on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:27 AM »
     Unless I'm very mistaken, it appears we have now lost two of our senior and outstanding members from IS Wyoming. Or at least one down in flames, one on the way. I recall how excited I was several years ago when I found this site and realized that I would receive up-to-date ice fishing intel, make new friends on the ice and enjoy the banter that was synonomous with our site. Until recently, with rare exception, that has been our collective personality, which by the way is comprised of our individual personalities. And I have forged friendships here that are priceless to me. Beyond that, we've comforted each other and offered prayers before/after surgeries and medical tests and consoled each other in loss of loved ones. (And by the way, in that regard, the Father of one of our members passed away this week.) This is who we are, this is what we do for each other. Now to the other matter.
     I'm going to repeat something because it appears the thread I posted it in yesterday has been removed. In all matters of discipline, there is a cornerstone of practice, no matter the case, whether it is a parent disciplining a child or a Police Captain disciplining an officer. "No more punishment or discipline than is necessary to alter the behavior should be meted out."   That said, we do not know what was posted that caused at least one member to be kicked off, thus we don't also know if the action taken was excessive. It is just a danged shame that on a site where we're supposed to be having fun, we're involved in a verbal war with our IS Admin Staff.
     My appeal is to the staff and the parties involved to pm each other and work this out amicably so we can get back to ice-fishing chatter.
     Now this is on a rather personal note and is simply my opinion. When I was a District Platoon Commander, the Icebabe  :angel and other female officers were present at my Platoon roll calls. (Long before she was my wife or the "Icebabe", she was one of my three Sergeants, back when she used to do what I told her to do   ;D .) I did not allow two things in my roll calls: 1.) 4-letter word language  2.) bickering ........... Cops are notorious for both. Vulgarity (not bickering) is prohibited here and there is no need for it on this site, a member cannot skate around it by posting an  "F" followed by three little %$# and not have everyone know what it is, including kids. I mean why would anyone find it necessary? There are more appropriate, stronger words in our vocabulary. On the ice...no wife, no girlfriends, no kids, just us, let 'er rip!, I don't care. But we signed on and agreed not to do that here. If one is compelled to that sort of base verbiage, the staff has given us a little swearing-face :%$#!: ............no real need for anything else.
     We need to get this done and get back to ice-fishing. BTW, take a peek at my signature under the Star and Crescent Badge. It's always been that way, that's not something new to my personality, it's who I am. So, in keeping with that slogan, let's be done with this!  ;D

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re: A Word From the Godfather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Hey ice. I agree with you 100%. we have almost 17,000 members on this site and there are always a few who :nono: :nono: :nono: if you know what I mean.when threads get out of hand as the one you talk about, they should and will be deleted as they take away from the true meaning of this site."ICEFISHING". I think it is time for all of the members of the Wyoming thread, to stand together and keep this site as the best on the web. As alway's any member here can PM me with questions or problems and I will do my best to help you out. being a Moderator is a very hard job sometimes, and you can't please all of the people all of the time, but we try to be fair and inforce the rules we all agreed to when we signed up for membership on "iceshanty". Thanks for taking the time to read this and tight lines everyone.

HIMO
                                    Wisconsin Moderator

It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:18 AM »
addendum: By the way, I was in no way inferring that anyone involved in this present matter has done that  :%$#!: thing, simply appealing to our WY IS guys to let it go and to the staff and mods that whatever it was that caused our guy to get kicked off, please try to resolve the matter with possibly a little less discipline. Just trying to make peace here  ;D
                                                                      Don 

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:23 AM »
100% agree. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HIMO

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Other message boards. . .
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2008, 01:27 PM »
I've visited many outdoor-related message boards over the years and participated in a few.  The boards that manage their way through situations like this one successfully seem to survive and even thrive; those that don't seem to lose members (and credibility), and often die.

Most often it's the successful, well-attended boards (like the Wyoming one) that have problems periodically.  Members are diverse and so are their ideas about what is and is not acceptable.  The really boring boards are the ones where all active members think alike and spend most of their time stroking one another.   :)
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:05 PM »
I posted in another Wyoming thread a while back about how great of a board this is. I still feel that way. every forum has it's bad apples and when they run out of trouble to make, they go away. I have been a member of iceshanty since November 1st,2002 so believe me I have seen them come and go. you guys keep up the good work here in the Wyoming forum. I have learned things from reading the posts here and I know you guys have helped other people as well.tight lines everyone.

HIMO
                                    Wisconsin Moderator

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I myself have stepped out of the box a time or two and said a few things that have not been in my nature.  I have found myself running back to delete a post that was not meant to be.  But I have also witnesses a few member here just to antagonize others for the fun of it.  I have met some of the best people here on this site too.  Pokefan1, Iceneyes, Big Ice,  Jiggmaster5000, Wyoming_Ice, Troutgoddess, Big Mack, Skin Dog, Rodrunner, Icensnomnstr, pioneer_mt, and countless others that have made my fishing endeavors so much more enjoyable.  All  can say is thanks for the times and my there be many more.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:20 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!  And likewise, many new friends Mooter and I've also removed a couple of posts of my own. ;D

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:29 PM »
The good thing about being able to talk and banter like this in cyberspace is that all of us have a chance to think out and formulate responses and questions before we speak (i.e. post), and we all have the ability to step back from the computer if frustrated or angry about some topic.  If nothing else, turn off the computer and go fish! :icefish:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:57 PM »
100% agree. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HIMO
So how about that "backing off on the discipline" part?

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:02 PM »
100% agree.

HIMO

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Thanks HIMO. You obviously want to be our mod and I'd like to believe you have 100% support of the WY IS, certainly you have mine. I only hope you can help clean this up...sort of your "Baptism of Fire" even with your vast experience.
                                            Godfather out  ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
                                                                    LT eeeeeeeeeeeeee

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Well said GODFATHER!!
I support HIMO as a moderator, he seems fair and rational..

P.S.  Thanks for all your support in this trying time!!!
God Bless
Pokefan1 out

GO COWGIRLS!!

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:52 PM »
The good thing about being able to talk and banter like this in cyberspace is that all of us have a chance to think out and formulate responses and questions before we speak (i.e. post), and we all have the ability to step back from the computer if frustrated or angry about some topic.  If nothing else, turn off the computer and go fish! :icefish:
Very well said bitzlecocker amen!

The Godfather comes up big. :bow:

icefishing is the real reason for the sesaon. 

Offline icemonster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:00 PM »
I'm sure HIMO is a fine moderator but I vote for the Godfather.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:06 PM »
I have been coming back to the shanty between bouts of turbo tax and work and honey do's and it is really starting to be no different. I am sick of this stuff. This is not why I check this site out, fishing is an escape from the everyday stress for me, a time to relate with nature and the simpler things. Please stop killing my buzz. I am sure you can find a political blog to cry on dudes.

Matt in Cheyenne

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:52 AM »
to quote Vito Corleone" I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse".LOL!!!

HIMO

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:28 AM »
     Bitz is absoloutely right. My thread is not mandatory reading material, but it is nonetheless my thread.I've posted on this site and fished with these guys for several years and have earned enough of the respect of my friends that I can speak as an advocate for one of our WY IS brothers we feel is being censured beyond that which is reasonable. That friendship of that member is far more important to me than the fact that this thread annoys you. Laters
                                                                              Theeeeeeeeeeee LT

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:48 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:08 AM »
     I think enough has been said about this, we hope to get tha Cator back soon, tight lines, good fishing, have a blessed day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.