Author Topic: Pistakee  (Read 1475 times)

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pistakee
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:05 AM »
Hit Pistakee Sunday with my son from 7am-10am. Brought home four for his lunch, tossed a bunch back. Crappies, Stripers and very small catfish (6"-9" and lots of them) were active till about 10am. A few of the Crappies went 10"-11". As we were getting out there a couple of guys were taking Crappies on minnows, of course something I did not bring out. We got ours on small yellow rockers with red spikes. We also had waxies and white spikes but it seemed they wanted the red ones. First stop was in 10-12 fow but most action came from 18 fow. Ice looked to be between 4"-5".
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Pistakee
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:32 AM »
18 feet doesn't sound like the Bay of Poo...
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 PM »
The Bay of poo? Pistakee will bottom out in the upper twenties as far as depth, usually fairly productive in the 18'-20' depth on early ice. Saw quite a few guys on the hump in five to six feet. That spot gave up gillies last year, and is a hot spot for stripers in the fall open water. There were a handful of guys at the south end in the weeds, most likely looking for gills / perch.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:59 PM »
some guys call the south end of the bay the bay of poo
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Only place I have ever seen anyone fish but not a regular.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:53 AM »
I guess we do learn something new every day, I had never heard that name. The main lake can produce very well, Crappies, Stripers, Gills, Perch, Channel cats and very large Flathead cats. I don't fish at night but I am told the guys that do get good numbers of Walleyes as well.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:29 PM »
ya we usually fish the bay from the bald knob mid way south and on the east side of the island  don't usually go all the way south to bay rd anymore especially seeing they have really been getting on guys for parking on bay rd the last 5 yrs have to love the police drugs gangs and violent crime but lets harass and ticket the fishermen the cops know we will pay the tickets plus we wont shoot at them
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:50 PM »
I know what ya mean about not wanting to get ticketed. I have made the walk to the south end from Oak Park and it is one heck of a walk! It's not bad if it's only ice but put a few inches of snow on it and man, what a work out! The lake has quite a few cribs along both the west and east shoreline, finding them is the trick.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:48 PM »
well going to hit pistakee in the morning going to try and get me some slabos and stripers BIG FISH NO SHEEP HEAD  :roflmao:

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:58 AM »
Take some minnows...only got one sheephead Sunday...good luck!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:31 PM »
well will try and get some pics had a great day jig-in lots of fish lots of sheep's but finished the day with 2 strips,16 crappies 2 gills and the kicker a 17 1/2 Walter and a 15 inch Walter plus threw back a 12 inch Walter will be back out in the early am with some  :tipup:

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:37 AM »
Toad, nice job! did ya find them near the west shoreline or out in the deep water?

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:15 PM »
west and deep was a lot slower today got 9 keeper crappies 4 big gills and 1 17 3/4 Walter had lots of sheep's and dink crappie also hod something big on for about 2 minutes then it broke me off never got to see it but the rod was straight down the hole drag screaming

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:03 AM »
Probably one of the infamous flathead cats that frequent the area, there are some brutes in that bay. Still a decent day, did the walter come on a flag or jigging?

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:34 AM »
everything came on the  :icefish:

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:57 AM »
  the first pic was some of the fish from thursday and the last 2 were from friday last pic was big wally and crappie my wife took the pics as I was getting ready to slice them up she does not take good pics

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:45 PM »
Nice haul Toad, I got out on Pistakee today but wasn't on the ice till 7:30, it was kinda slow but I brought home some crappies and stripers for my sons dinner. Threw a bunch of small stripes and cats back as well as the ever present sheeps. The chatter on the lake is that the crappies are hitting better pre-dawn and pre-dark....I'll try again early tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.