Author Topic: Spring Bobbers... Yes/No  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spring Bobbers... Yes/No
« on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:44 PM »
I have read people chatting about spring bobbers with all kinds of mixed opinions. It seems to be a matter of preference. I am looking for a bit more experiential information.

What are the most budget worth it spring bobbers?
What kind of spring bobbers do you use?
Do they help you catch fish?
What to steer clear from if buying/using spring bobbers?
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spring Bobbers... Yes/No
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:53 PM »
You'll get a million different opinions on this topic, here's mine:
-Rapala titanium spring bobbers are my favorite. I like that you can easily adjust the sensitivity and they are easily installed and removed. Only downfall is the line can get tangled on the backside if you are reducing the sensitivity.
-They won't catch you more fish, but they allow you to see a bite easier. Same thing that a good noodle rod will do

I've used the cheap one with the spring attached to a foam plug, they were terrible. Overall, I hate using spring bobbers because I haven't found one that is 'flawless' but they serve their purpose. I have a custom power noodle and a ticklestick and find myself using these two rods without a spring bobber 9 times out of ten.
Da Pack!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I agree with Junkie.  I tried using the spring bobbers for a season and did not like the setup or use of them.  Fishing outside is tough with any wind - it messes them up.  Switched over to the Ticklestick rods and like these much better.   These are now all I use.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Definitely worth it. Turns about any ho hum rod into a fish catching machine. I can hear the screaming now but for the money try the Clam nitinol ones. The new ones have been very good and don’t take a set like some will claim. The Frabill will be a top pick by most and are good, using a larger eye that small jigs will pass through. Stay away from the foamy bic lighter spring ones. If wind is a problem turn your back to it, no noodle rod will will beat the sensitivity of a spring. Not saying I don’t use noodles either.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:11 PM »
I have to say that last year was my first real pan fish season, targeting Perch. I tried what I thought were sensitive custom pan fish rods without spring bobbers then went to a St Croix Legend with their spring and it was a night and day difference in seeing bites. I'd never fish without a spring bobber again.

Had a chance to fish Perch up on Lake Gogebic for the first time last winter and all they use is Teeter's Pig springs.  They're cheap and very sensitive. I broke 2" off an old Avid and bought one, they work amazingly well.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Go with a noodle rod instead of spring bobbers.  I have never had much luck with them though.

That being said, I may build a rod this year that actually has the spring bobber wrapped.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I like rods with backbone. I use wire indicators instead of an actual "spring". I can use the same rod for 7lb trout and walleyes and 9" perch or crappies. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:33 PM »
They have their place against the light biting species. Even trout and kokanee can give a bite as soft as an angel's kiss. Went back to fishing outdoors a few years back and the wind can just play havoc with false nibbles so I fish my deadsticks another way now.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:55 PM »
X2 for the st croix rods and their spring bobbers. No one has mentioned crappie and spring bobbers. This is where they are 100% crucial for that upwards bite. No rod will show you that with a 1/64th tungsten jig in real time.
Just add water.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:01 PM »
To clarify information regarding use. I am going to be targeting trout (not char) and kokane most of the time. And I will be fishing in a pop-up with limited wind interference or icing line/eyes.

In my limited hardwater experience, I had a day where we just had the flasher lighting up all morning long in 30-40 ft of water, fish coming right up to the lures but almost never getting a hit (so we thought). Landed 3 fish but marked between 20 and 30. We ended up moving into shallows and the light was good enough to see the fish. They would come up and just barely suck in the jig with almost no tug or tension to the line. Then spit it out and sometimes even suck it in again. If we couldn't have seen them take the bait, we would not have known to set the hook because I just couldn't feel such lite bites. I am looking for information on spring bobbers that might show such soft takes.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:07 PM »
X2 for the st croix rods and their spring bobbers. No one has mentioned crappie and spring bobbers. This is where they are 100% crucial for that upwards bite. No rod will show you that with a 1/64th tungsten jig in real time.

A high quality noodle rod will.
Da Pack!

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:10 PM »
I bought the Frabill Titanium Spring Bobbers and cut the little tear drop off of the back side and wrapped the spring with thread and clear finger nail polish to the tip of each of my panfish rods! On super windy days it can be a bit of a challenge but what isn't on those kind of days?
WiMeatHunter

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I have not found any type of spring bobbers better than the Marmish bite indicators, #1, 2, 3, you have to match the indicator to the weight of the jig by testing first. You can slide the indicator in or out to fine tune. Yes it takes a little extra work to attach to your rod. I cut a slit in the rubber with a razor blade, then epoxy it on the rod. There may be a better way to attach to rod? I did a couple of rods with a permanent epoxy mount. I mount them on the top side of the rod. If I don't want to use the bite indicator I just don't thread the line through it and retract it all the way back. I fine tune it about 1/2 bend so I can see a up or down strike. All a fish has to do is look at it and it starts to move, lol. Until I find one that works better this is my go to.
https://www.marmish.ca/shop/items.html?type=4

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:44 PM »
A high quality noodle rod will.

I know my TUCR Precision Noodle most certainly will.

I love what spring bobbers do but I hate having them attached to any rod. Can’t stand it. I cut my teeth on schooley setups so when I advocate for a spring bobber, I suggest the type that are on those (just a cheap HT spring bobber). I ditched spring bobbers about 5 years ago, went to custom tapered rods, and never looked back. There isn’t any bite that even the best spring bobbers show that a well built noodle rod won’t show. Plus, it’s one less thing to get in the way.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I know my TUCR Precision Noodle most certainly will.

I love what spring bobbers do but I hate having them attached to any rod. Can’t stand it. I cut my teeth on schooley setups so when I advocate for a spring bobber, I suggest the type that are on those (just a cheap HT spring bobber). I ditched spring bobbers about 5 years ago, went to custom tapered rods, and never looked back. There isn’t any bite that even the best spring bobbers show that a well built noodle rod won’t show. Plus, it’s one less thing to get in the way.

I know the power noodle blank from BK will as well.  I am going to build a carbon rod with a spring bobber tip just to have, but I am very confident in visual strike indicator on my noodles.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Problem is I don't like a wet noodle rod, I like a little stiffer tip, just add on a bite indicator problem solved. I wouldn't crappie fish without one.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2018, 03:52 PM »
Ive built some good noodle rods, and yeah, if you study those tips, you can detect the bites really well.....fishing through thick weeds for big gills, a quality spring bobber is hard to beat.  I like them on palm rods and I also broke the tip off of one of my favorites, so I put a spring on that, and back in the game.....bottom line, im warming up to them really quickly!!  Its that up bite that helps to convince you.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2018, 04:27 PM »
It’s all a matter of personal preference and what you get used to. I mostly fish for trout, char and kokanee salmon and find the spring bobber very useful in detecting a light bite. I can see where the wind and icing can be a problem, but the same is true with sensitive rods and iced up guides. Might I suggest experimenting a bit, and see what you prefer. Also, don’t rule out ice bobbers matched to your jig weight for another technique for determining that light take. A lot of fish are never buttoned up due to them sensing vibration when you pick up your rod. Just a suggestion. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Ice Strong indicators are awesome.  I wrap them onto ML rods for crappie/walleye live minnow setups (ala JT walleye snare).

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2018, 04:57 PM »
X2 on the Ice Strongs...best on the market IMO. I've modified mine a bit. Bent the last 3/4"  at a 90* angle and bent the loop at the end downward. Tied it on at about a 45* angle. Much easier to see on my 36" and 48" rods. These things are stupid sensitive!
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I started using spring bobbers last year, and am a total convert. I can't imagine that I'll be using those yellow foam bobbers much at all anymore. My favorite are the Rapala ones. I like them because they actually lock on to the rod tip, so they can't ever slide or fall off. I've used the Frabill titanium one and the Clam nitrinol one's as well, and those both work good too. The cheap HT ones that don't have a good mechanism for attaching to the rod are complete garbage though.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2018, 05:35 PM »
They're actually not too tough to make yourself at home . I used to knock out three or four every Fall getting ready for the season. Go to any hardware store or one of the big box stores and in the section where they have the oddball metal shapes, bars, slotted angle etc. you'll find some tubes that have various diameters of spring wire, typically in 30" pieces. Pick one up, pinch it about 4" from the end to test the springiness and go through the sizes until you find the one you like. Get two or three sticks because you're going to screw up at first. In your shop, you'll need some wire cutters, two pair of needle nose pliers and a propane torch. For the little bright indicator I've used faceted brightly colored glass beads and even cannibalized some little orange styrofoam  teardrops from some old salmon lures. Anything light and bright. Cut off about an 8" section of wire. It will bend readily when heated with the torch into loops, angles etc.. returns to springiness upon cooling. Fold the dead end back on itself and either wrap it or hot glue it to the rod. Takes a little practice.
I realize on reading this that most guys are not going to go to all that trouble when you can just buy them pretty cheap. Personally, I like making stuff.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2018, 05:54 PM »
They're actually not too tough to make yourself at home . I used to knock out three or four every Fall getting ready for the season. Go to any hardware store or one of the big box stores and in the section where they have the oddball metal shapes, bars, slotted angle etc. you'll find some tubes that have various diameters of spring wire, typically in 30" pieces. Pick one up, pinch it about 4" from the end to test the springiness and go through the sizes until you find the one you like. Get two or three sticks because you're going to screw up at first. In your shop, you'll need some wire cutters, two pair of needle nose pliers and a propane torch. For the little bright indicator I've used faceted brightly colored glass beads and even cannibalized some little orange styrofoam  teardrops from some old salmon lures. Anything light and bright. Cut off about an 8" section of wire. It will bend readily when heated with the torch into loops, angles etc.. returns to springiness upon cooling. Fold the dead end back on itself and either wrap it or hot glue it to the rod. Takes a little practice.
I realize on reading this that most guys are not going to go to all that trouble when you can just buy them pretty cheap. Personally, I like making stuff.

I'm a DYI guy myself...LOVE making my own stuff. I started making wires (don't like the term spring for some reason 😉) using #30 leader material. They worked real well but became brittle and broke over time...even being painted. Don't  have to worry about that with the titaniums. Little pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2018, 06:23 PM »
If there’s a music instrument repair shop nearby, especially if they repair/replace guitar strings you can usually find all you can us for cheap. If not, even new metal “strings” can be found at a nominal cost. I’ve made a few for using the strings and a glass bead. Experiment until you find the right ltngth and sensitivity.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 09, 2018, 06:29 PM »
If there’s a music instrument repair shop nearby, especially if they repair/replace guitar strings you can usually find all you can us for cheap. If not, even new metal “strings” can be found at a nominal cost. I’ve made a few for using the strings and a glass bead. Experiment until you find the right ltngth and sensitivity.

I like that  :thumbsup:

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 09, 2018, 06:43 PM »

I have used guitar strings as well(I have played for years).  It works in a pinch, but there are much better options out there.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:00 PM »
use a lighter rod  or   rip the spring out of a bic lighter ya see laying on the  ground

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:30 PM »
use a lighter rod  or   rip the spring out of a bic lighter ya see laying on the  ground

Says the guy who picks up the cigarette next to the bic lighter and uses the filter as a sponge bobber  :roflmao:

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 09, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Anyone that's on the fence on trying out strike indicators, forget about the ones that are an actual spring.  Instead, definitely go with titanium wire options like the Ice Strong.  The actual springs get so clogged with ice when you're outside the shack, they're rendered useless in minutes.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 09, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Ive built some carbon rods that show a crappie up bite fwiw - start sanding blanks and testing them out, anything is possible

Noodle blank or spring bobber, whatever you have confidence in will work just fine

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.