Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536729 times)

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3300 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:34 AM »
Spirit was good last weekend, nearly limited out. Was 7'' of ice but lots of slush, had 4-5'' of water on top of the ice. Sonar is recommended as there were fish from 15-50' and it varied from minute to minute.

Never fished spirit before, headed out Sunday morning. Any location sugguations for a spirit newbie?

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3301 on: Mar 01, 2018, 12:15 PM »
The Maiden Rock Access at the east end of the lake is where most are fishing. You access it by Nautical Loop Rd on the west side of Hwy 41, there is a parking area up the hill from the ramp maybe 75 yards. I put a small dark blue oval where most people have been fishing, if you have sonar it is extremely helpful. We were fishing in 80 feet of water.

Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3302 on: Mar 01, 2018, 02:05 PM »
The Maiden Rock Access at the east end of the lake is where most are fishing. You access it by Nautical Loop Rd on the west side of Hwy 41, there is a parking area up the hill from the ramp maybe 75 yards. I put a small dark blue oval where most people have been fishing, if you have sonar it is extremely helpful. We were fishing in 80 feet of water.

Awesome thank u!! Any perch? Or just koke and trout?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3303 on: Mar 01, 2018, 02:28 PM »
What's the cell reception like at Spirit? I am on call for work, but considering an outing there if I can.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3304 on: Mar 01, 2018, 02:57 PM »
I have verizon and have full coverage out there.  The fish seem to be a bit bigger this year, as catskinner said they are all over the water column and we had better luck in the morning.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3305 on: Mar 01, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Awesome thank u!! Any perch? Or just koke and trout?

We don't target the Perch but catch one occasionally one guy caught a big Crappie a few weeks ago. There are a few Chinook but they are only 14-15'' so not keepers. Be prepared for slush, we had 4-5'' of water on top of the ice, you might want to take a net to get the fish that flop back into that water and can swim all over and get back down the hole.  :roflmao: :woot:

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3306 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Here's that big crappie

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3307 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Well wish i had a sonar of some sorts fishing at spirit was hard we had a few bitrs and got 2 fish before we had to leave  had baits frim 12'- 70'  and still didn't do well
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3308 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Was it still 7” of ice with 5” of water on top?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3309 on: Mar 03, 2018, 12:34 PM »
If you stayed on the beaten path you were good but as soon as you walk off it you have a 50/50 chance of braking through a frozen layer but the ice was like 8-10" where we were fishing with 5" of water on top with 2-3" of ice on top of that
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3310 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Anyone know what the ice is like at Sportman's?
~IceFire2012~

Offline PLumpee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3311 on: Mar 05, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Anyone know what the ice is like at Sportman's?
I can’t wait for a response; I am ready to try pike fishing again. I am so tired of watching 1 or two guys being successful catching the Kokanee on Spirit Lake while 29 other guys don’t get nothing. You would think that if I spend $7.00 on Fire Corn that I could catch one of them. I also don’t feel that folks should post up maps to such a tough fishery.

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3312 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:40 AM »
I've never had good luck on Spirit Lake.
~IceFire2012~

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3313 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:23 AM »
I can’t wait for a response; I am ready to try pike fishing again. I am so tired of watching 1 or two guys being successful catching the Kokanee on Spirit Lake while 29 other guys don’t get nothing. You would think that if I spend $7.00 on Fire Corn that I could catch one of them. I also don’t feel that folks should post up maps to such a tough fishery.
Well, after fishing Avondale almost daily for the last two weeks at an average catch rate of only 1 perch/hr (today a little better at 2.5/hr), I can definitely understand your discouragement.  On the other hand, if at least 1 guy is successful, that should give you some optimism!  Thinking back to last year's historic hardwater koke fishing on Hayden, I remember many times where only 1 guy  in maybe a dozen or more guys consistently scored pretty much every time I saw him in a 2-week period.  In addition to using sonar (which I was, as it is almost a requirement for this kind of fishing), he was using krill shrimp from Petco -- and coupled with his sonar know-how, it worked really well for him.  Point is, he was nice enough to share his knowledge just because I asked. Maybe those 1 or 2 guys on Spirit would do likewise - and I'm betting one of them is CMS, based on those great photos of his recent koke catch with the bonus crappie!
  Anyone tried Fernan lately?  Looks like someone drilled holes within the last 2 or 3 days.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3314 on: Mar 06, 2018, 09:33 AM »
What has been working for me has been a small hand tied hook dropped 6" below a chrom Swedish pimple with the red prism sticker.  I have found that the smaller the presentation the better. I have been using size 14 and 16 and only putting 1 maggot on it.  The area that Jim highlighted in the map is the general area that we've been having luck consistently.  I also think that a lot depends on your rod,  they have been biting so light that without a sensitive tip you won't even know you got bit.  Last year I bought a 42" perch assault rod that has been great. I also have great luck with a tickle stick. With Kokanee it's the more the merrier, a group of guys jigging can hold a school below so everyone can keep catching them before the school moves on.  If you are 1 or 2 guys you might get a couple out of a group before they move on.

Offline PLumpee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3315 on: Mar 06, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Man! Thanks guys. Quite a science I gather. It shows in my performance that I am no Bill Nye...or Bill Dance for that matter.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3316 on: Mar 06, 2018, 09:54 PM »
It takes a little bit to get a jig cadence figured out then a slow lift and if your tip slows then give a yank, if you're expecting a big tug you'll miss every time.  I was fortunate enough to meet a couple nice guys on mirror last year that showed me a lot.  All the kokanee fisherman I've ran into have all be willing to share tips. If I end up getting out again before ice out you're more than welcome to meet up. I'm no expert by any means.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3317 on: Mar 08, 2018, 02:02 AM »
Im going to bite the bullet and finally fish lower twin for kokanee tomorrow been hearing good things about the size of the kokanee

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3318 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:22 PM »

I have been fishing Spirit for about 40 years and like CMS says if you get a bunch of people out there fishing in the same spot you can hold the school there and everyone benefits. That is why I posted the maps, and it is not a tough fishery it just takes knowing how to hook the fish. Like CMS says you bounce the rod tip a few times and then start raising the rod up and watching the tip, if it acts like the tip is not coming up as fast then set the hook. I took a guy out to Mirror on Sun and gave him an ultra light rod that I had around, he figured out how to see the bite pretty quickly but would loose them about half way up. I finally figured out that the rod was too slow action so he couldn't set the hook solidly enough. Here is a pic of the rig I use with the hooks that CMS tied up. That ''spoon'' is a Deadly Dick but a Kastmater or Sweedish Pimple wil work as well.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3319 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Im going to bite the bullet and finally fish lower twin for kokanee tomorrow been hearing good things about the size of the kokanee
I wonder what the walking conditions are like there. I went to Mirror on Sunday and there was about 6 inches of snow with a hard 1.5'' crust, I broke through every step and then was into 4'' of slush, for an old busted up guy like me it was a tough go.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3320 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Well didn't fish long but im going out again on sunday need to not be skunked

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3321 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:59 PM »
I just bought a pair of snowshoes just for those conditions. (Atlas Montane Series Snowshoe) On sale $125.
May sound like a lot, but used them today in 10 in snow with a layer of slush underneath. I’m 62 and pulled my sled behind and it was amazing. Watched another guy struggle to get out in just boots. It’s a workout just getting dressed these days but man, best purchase for those conditions. Stayed on top. period.
I was thinking about breaking mine out too, I was wishing I had a pair of X-country skies.

Offline dmpplantz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3322 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:52 AM »
I just bought a pair of snowshoes just for those conditions. (Atlas Montane Series Snowshoe) On sale $125.
May sound like a lot, but used them today in 10 in snow with a layer of slush underneath. I’m 62 and pulled my sled behind and it was amazing. Watched another guy struggle to get out in just boots. It’s a workout just getting dressed these days but man, best purchase for those conditions. Stayed on top. period.
. Snowshoes definitely the way to go on slushy. Rarely leave home without em

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3323 on: Mar 10, 2018, 02:01 AM »
Did you try Lower Twin? I'd sure like to try it.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3324 on: Mar 10, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Yes i did try it but ive only fished it 3 times in the 16 years ive been up here in idaho  so im not used to the lake's depth,springs, or good spots for fishing

Offline dmpplantz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3325 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:01 PM »
I have been fishing Spirit for about 40 years and like CMS says if you get a bunch of people out there fishing in the same spot you can hold the school there and everyone benefits. That is why I posted the maps, and it is not a tough fishery it just takes knowing how to hook the fish. Like CMS says you bounce the rod tip a few times and then start raising the rod up and watching the tip, if it acts like the tip is not coming up as fast then set the hook. I took a guy out to Mirror on Sun and gave him an ultra light rod that I had around, he figured out how to see the bite pretty quickly but would loose them about half way up. I finally figured out that the rod was too slow action so he couldn't set the hook solidly enough. Here is a pic of the rig I use with the hooks that CMS tied up. That ''spoon'' is a Deadly Dick but a Kastmater or Sweedish Pimple wil work as well.

.    Not gonna argue with a 40 year vet, but if you're having trouble with these more complex methods, don't be afraid to try keeping it simple. If I'm on a school, I catch em on the initial drop off a small Kastmaster almost every drop. Just letting that spoon free fall to their depth, then stop it and wait. If nothing for 20 or so seconds, slow lift (probably one or two in a day grab it on the lift, so might as well go slow just in case) then free fall, wait 20 or seconds, repeat. Maggot on one or two of the trebles. If the fish are there you'll get em. And with the bite directly at the spoon, rather than on a much less weighty drop hook, the takes are much more obvious. You gotta think, with that drop hook, they have to not just grab the hook, but also move that weightier spoon before you see any reaction in your rod. Just catching em directly with the spoon doesn't have that issue.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3326 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:27 PM »
.    Not gonna argue with a 40 year vet, but if you're having trouble with these more complex methods, don't be afraid to try keeping it simple. If I'm on a school, I catch em on the initial drop off a small Kastmaster almost every drop. Just letting that spoon free fall to their depth, then stop it and wait. If nothing for 20 or so seconds, slow lift (probably one or two in a day grab it on the lift, so might as well go slow just in case) then free fall, wait 20 or seconds, repeat. Maggot on one or two of the trebles. If the fish are there you'll get em. And with the bite directly at the spoon, rather than on a much less weighty drop hook, the takes are much more obvious. You gotta think, with that drop hook, they have to not just grab the hook, but also move that weightier spoon before you see any reaction in your rod. Just catching em directly with the spoon doesn't have that issue.
To each his own but the key is in the lift. I learned to catch blue back when the only way they were being caught was on handlines other than trolling for them. The handline had a weight painted red on the bottom and two or three hand wrapped snelled #12 hooks about 1' apart with a maggot on each hook. You dropped the weight down to where the fish were and holding the line you move your hand in the motion of turning a crank, and then slowly start lifting the line, you usually feel a weight on the line and set the hook. If you feel a bite you most likely will miss the fish. After setting the hook you would pull the line over the gunnel and coil it in the bottom of the boat. There was a commercial catch of kokanee up untill the mid 60's I believe. The commercial limit was 200 fish/day and the regular limit was 50/day.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3327 on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Anyone been on spirit and or lower twin last couple of days?- Curious how the ice is holding up

sihlms391

« Reply #3328 on: Mar 16, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Went out Lowe twin Wednesday.   Getting pretty soft.   All old holes where showing. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3329 on: Mar 17, 2018, 12:56 AM »
I was up at lower twin today, as long as I stayed on the packed trails I could walk on the frozen surface, but on either side the spud went through to the ice. I finally stopped less than half way across and bored a couple holes, it was pretty slow but I got a mixed bag. Wish I could have made it clear across. The clear ice was about 5'' and the frozen snow was about 5'' as well. But the trails kind of petered out on me that's why I stopped where I did.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.