Author Topic: swivels  (Read 3194 times)

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
swivels
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Im sure this has been asked before, but how many of you use swivels on your jig setups?  I prefer to keep it straight line to my lure/hook as often as possible, but there are days where I just want to keep switching until I find the right lure.

E

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
Re: swivels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2007, 07:22 PM »
Learn to tie knots faster! ;D

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 07:26 PM »
 :D I tie knots plenty fast, but I get to the point where ive switched so many lures I start to run out of line mid season  :laugh:

E

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 07:56 PM »
i personally dont care for the swivels,  i just keep tying till i find the one thst works.  if it comes down to it i buy more line ;D

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 07:58 PM »
i personally dont care for the swivels,  i just keep tying till i find the one thst works.  if it comes down to it i buy more line ;D
That's why I always have extra in lying around! ;D

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:34 PM »
I think most of you are talkin about snap-swivels.  I use swivels, but most times not a snap-swivel.  I tie a barrell swivel 18-24 inches up.  I find it gives the jig a better presentation with smaller stuff, and stops small jigs from spinning in circles, twisting up my line. I can also add different lb test leaders if needed, as I usually only take a couple rod/reel set-ups with me.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:01 PM »
I tend to use a snap swivel on my rigs that are set up for spoons or swim baits. The direct line to jig M.O. is usually standard for me on light rigs. Normally I have at least five and sometimes six rigs ready to fish before I hit the ice.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:21 PM »
these are what I use

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2007, 05:48 PM »
I use a very tiny "power swivel" made by Spro that is sort of like a barrel swivel, only smaller.  From this, I tie on a fluorocarbon leader of about 24" to 36".  The fluorocarbon leader reduces the visibility of the line, yet I can use my favorite mono on the reel itself.

I have read articles that claim that a spinning lure can really turn the fish off at times.  Supposedly, they had the camera video to prove it.  The small swivel helps prevent the lure from spinning in circles when at rest.  Experiment with this if you have a camera.

As an added bonus, when you constantly tie on different lures, you are only eating up the leader portion of your line, which can easily be replaced by tying a new piece onto the swivel.  You never use up the main line on the reel, although tying a new knot from the main line onto the swivel about once a year probably doesn't hurt. :D

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:04 PM »
Exactly Thor.  I have been able to pick up on this on the flasher and times when I can see down the hole to watch how a fish reacts to a bait.  A spinning lure really can turn them off.  Not quite so much with a spoon, but definately a jig.  I have been useing small ball bearing barrel swivels.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:59 AM »
Most everything I drop into the water starts with a swivel. Sized to conditions I use higher quality swivels and after close to 60 years of fishing success wonder why more folks don't use 'em.

I can 'Pre-tie' some lures and baits with the appropriate size, type, and length of leader for the occaision. This makes it easier for these old, arthritic hands, to change lures and be assured that when my baits finally have fallen to the correct depth that they are not sitting there spinning in the wind so to speak.

With a 16" to 48" leader attached I can monitor the swivel on my Vex and have a good idea of the radius live baits can move in, and squeezing split shot above the swivel allows the live baits to make larger circles while keeping them at the correct depth.

On retrieving a fish I don't get kinks I have to mess with, and oddly enough I seem to get more fish than many of my partners who are not using swivels.

In areas of heavy current where the baits disappear off the screen I use a three way swivel, the lowest having a weight attached suitable to keep the bait below the hole while the bait can drift 'Downstream' with the current. A separate small swivel on the leader to the bait prevents a lot of foul-ups. But, that's me. ;D
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:30 AM »
these are what I use

(Image removed from quote.)
  I too use the clips. Great when the crappies start to get finicky. Getting harder to see the 4-6# test. Faster when the bite is on and you need to change a jig. When it comes to swivels, I use nothing but Spro. Once I tried those, I threw out all my Wal-mart type swivels! 8)
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2007, 05:30 AM »
For my leaders, I'll use either # 14 or even # 20 barrel swivlels.  (They are the smallest I know of).  I purchased the # 20's at Cabela's and the 14's at Bass Pro Shops).

On the end of the leader I'll tie a "No Knot" or 'Easy Snap".

Split Rings are usually on the nose of my lures... including Hali's, etc/
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.