Author Topic: Looking for some experienced input! :-D  (Read 1730 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for some experienced input! :-D
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Hello,
    My name is Spencer Busler. I've  been an IS member for a while now. I am 16 and I live in Theresa, NY and have for all my life.  I attent Indian River High School and I am in my Junior year.
    I love fishing. Living in Theresa, Ny I have had the chance to fish for many freshwater fish species from a number of the small Indian Lakes chain, including Butterfield, Perch Lake, Clear Lake, Red Lake, and the Indian River. I fish for many species of game fish, including Northern Pike, Bass, walleye, ect. I fish all seasons of the year as well. Ice fishing happens to be one of my favorite forms of fishing. Not only do I love fishing, I love the outdoors as well. I spend the majority of my time outdoors in the woods, or at my cottage on Clear Lake in Redwood. There is just something about the wilderness and outdoors that I enjoy.
     Being in my Junior year, it is time to start thinking of life beyond high school. I would like to find a career later in life involving some aspect of the outdoors. Because my heart is into fishing, I was wondering what careers you have and some info about them? I am currently looking at St. Lawrence University and SUNY ESF in hopes to be taking an environmental science, fisheries/aquatic biology, fish and wildlife managmenent or other related courses. I was just wondering what some of the outdoor careers were like, such as DEC jobs, or research jobs. 
    I am just looking for some suggestions. Do you know of any career that would let me enjoy the outdoors as much as I would like? Any pointers in clubs or programs that might interest me? 
    Well, thank you for your time, and I am looking forward to receiving a message back.

Thanks again,
                            Spencer Busler           
                             29951 NYS RT 26
                            Thersa, NY 13691
                             315-628-5691
                              [email protected]

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for some experienced input! :-D
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006, 04:48 PM »
What is wrong with SUNY Cobleskill? I went there but I majored in drinking with a minor in school. :-\ It is a great school and many of the wardens in my area graduated from Coby. There is also GREAT hunting on the surrounding farms if you can get permission.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:22 PM »
If you were in PA, I might be able to be of more help. But I would suggest that you start by calling and talking to people that hold positions that you would like to have someday. These folks ( like you will be someday ) are generally very helpfull and willing to help those that will fill their shoes.
Also try talking to your guidance counsellor, or whatever they are called these days. I know that here in PA, our State departments offer several types of internships for high school and colledge students, perhaps NY does to. Internships are often considered to be as good as, or better than, a higher education.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the very best.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:31 PM »
you have mail!....Grump

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:35 PM »
you might want to check paul smiths college  and the ranger school in wanakena both in the adirondacks

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Busler,

My Friend, its awesome you have such a vision.  Work in the outdoors was where my heart was for the longest time.  I graduated from Alaska pacific University and it is, what, the #3 school in the nation for Environmental Biology.  It is a great experience for learning, and an even better experience in how to get a job.  A word to the wise, you had better be sure you can survive the next 5 or even 10 years as an adjunct on minimum income.  It is truly tough to find a job in this world in this field.  i tried for 3 straight years to find solid work once I graduated and all it led me to was summer work.  I counted Red Salmon for the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game, i did halibut Surveys, I even worked with NOAA for a while studying Octopus in Kachemak Bay.  Great summer work, paid decent enough you could SURVIVE 8 months very tightly, but the waiting list to work for the state in any way in this field was, from last I heard, 10 years.  And this was in Alaska.  <y Suggestion - pick an outdoor field that can also lead to a backup in another field.  I stretched my biology degree and got into pre med and med school which is what I am now finishing and will go back to Alaska a doctor.  Fisheries science, put your emphasis in Limnology and Aquaculture and you could get into aquatic engineering or emphasis in Biology and go into medicine.  It's tough, my freind, no joke, and you're still only 16.  You got two years to think about it, and trust me, a lot will change in two years in your psyche.  Personally, I'd tell you to choose medicine, that way you can set up your own schedule and afford to go fishing anywhere in the world that your heart desires.  that's how I justify my decision.  Enjoy my freind, anyother questions, just let me know.

And my advice, if you're going into Env. Science, choose Alaska Pacific university, where better to learn about the environment than in a place where the environment is untouched.  Our professors are actually normal human beings that understand human mistakes (they actually understand when you have a hangover and can't make it to class).  There is really no place here on the East Coast that can say that, especially the untouched environment thing.  And if that's not enough to toot your fancy, remember, you honestly have a chance to be killed everyday while walking to class.  Not by a drive by shooting or a car hitting you, but a **censored** off moose thats having a bad day or a hungry grizzly that wants your fish when walking back from a great day on University lake (yes, we have grizzlies on campus).  Plus we have a frat house garaunteed to make sure you leave college with the bare minimum of brain cells needed to survive.  AWESOME!!! Take care and enjoy.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:54 PM »
See what Cornell University in Ithica has to offer. I know they are big into Aquaculture.I'm sure they offer more than that too. I trap, fish, get my own bait, and hunt. Out of all of those I still am facinated in the aquaculture trade.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2006, 07:02 AM »
Busler,
I am a product of the NYS Ranger School and SUNY ESF. I suggest you check them out before deciding to attend. The Ranger School is Awesome. It is a lot of Hands-on forestry and surveying work. It is very physically demanding though. ESF is not as hands on... it is more classroom oriented. Paul smiths college is ok but not nearly as good as the Ranger School. If you are looking to get into fisheries management, I would suggest SUNY Cobleskill. My Brother in Law graduated through their Fishery Program and had no trouble finding a job at a large fish Hatchery in Massachussettes.  If you want more info on the Ranger School or ESF feel free to PM me.
Roy
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2006, 07:22 AM »
I get paid to take people fishing on the ocean.....if you want to go the "guide" route....you won't be dissapointed.....you won't get rich, but what job could be better?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:06 AM »
I worked for a telephone company for 36 years. Outside every day whether it was raining or blizzarding. 100 degrees in the shade or 100 degrees below zero wind factor. I don't recommend it for you though. If you go for a higher education, first find a field where you will be needed. My nephew has a masters degree in wildlife biology and is farming with his dad because there were no job openings. There are all kinds of people bartending and driving taxis that have a degree and couldn't find a job. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Wow. Looks like it is tough to find a job such as this.
I truly appreciate the advice and experience you guys have offered. You all have more experience than anyone in my school, as for guidance councelors.

I was thinking maybe either a biology teacher for High school, then run a summer guide service?

Well, Thanks all

walleyechaser

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Its going to be tough to find a job that pays well in the outdoors.  Conservation officers, forestry managers, etc all pay well but are very hard to find.  If you are willing to move cross country you may find something.  I looked into this when I was going to school.

You're best bet IMO is find something else you can enjoy and pay the bills with then fish, hunt, etc in your free time.  Life's path took me into architecture.  I never dreamed I'd be doing this when I was younger.  But I've been here now for 11 years and its enjoyable at times.  Plus I get some good perks for hunting and fishing time.
Found a job on pure luck when I was 19 and have been doing it ever since.

Offline Hellfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Spencer,

I am a fisheries biologist with NOAA fisheries up in Maine.  Specifically I work with wild Atlantic Salmon.  I have been doing this for six years, and prior to that I spent five years doing field research for endangered bird species.  I love it.  Before that I was a commercial lobsterman and gillnetter.  I never made much money but I have always made a living.  I do exactly the things that I love and then get paid to do it.  I started with a bachelors degree in general biology, but had I known I would end up here I would have chosen some different schools with more specific programs.

Some excellent schools in Maine are University of Maine (the main university) at Orono.  A more specialized school, but the best in Maine for marine ecology, is University of Maine at Machias.  All the colleagues I have worked with who were alums from Machias have impressed me.  One of them frequents Ice Shanty a lot, usually the Maine boards and is addicted to cusk fishing.  The same goes for the College of the Atlantic, which is more general school, but usually produces excellent people.

Some big name with fisheries from outside Maine are Michigan, Virginia Tech, Colorado, U. Washington and Oregon, Humboldt State. 

Keep in mind it is not where you go, but what you do when you get there.  The State of Maine offers internships to undergrads.  When you get into college, contact the Maine Atlantic Salmon Commission, Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, Maine Department of Marine Resources for an internship or summer position. 

Best,
Paul

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Spencer, I am also a junior in highschool with similar career aspirations as you. I have looked up many different careers in biology and similar fields, and to be honest, you should take extra time to research different jobs to find a field where there is demand. Many of the fields are projected to have a lower than average job growth rate, but there are jobs available, you just might have to look.

A website that can really be helpful is CollegeBoard.com. You can do a college search there to help find a school that can provide you with the studies that you are interested in. Some of the best environmental studies schools are right here in New York, you just have to know what to look for.

Also, look up the  U.S. Department of Labor's website. I don't have a link , but it should be fairly easy to find on google. You can search any type of job on there, and it will give you the statistics for it in a starightforward, no BS kinda way.

There's a ton of good schools out there, and its important to remember that you should do what you love.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2006, 02:16 AM »
Spencer, You need to look into firefighting ;D You get to do all sorts of cool things like; drive big shiny fire trucks, take safety naps, eat and watch outdoors shows on tv and then go out and bash in doors and squirt water and then go back to the house clean up and go back to bed. Then you wake up eat and get to go home and do what ever you want. You have the stability of a good job, make a bunch of friends who become your Brothers and Sisters who usually like to be in the outdoors as well.
It's the greatest job in the world, trust me I have 20 years under my belt cause I started when I was 14 as a volunteer and have been a career ff for the last 15+ and still a volunteer in my community.

Brad

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:33 AM »

I was thinking maybe either a biology teacher for High school, then run a summer guide service?

there ya go!  it takes 3 years or so to get "full time" busy....but it's WELL worth the wait!  let me know if I can help in any way

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:45 AM »
Wow. Looks like it is tough to find a job such as this.
I truly appreciate the advice and experience you guys have offered. You all have more experience than anyone in my school, as for guidance councelors.

Well, Thanks all

I teach 7th grade and in the summer I work at a campground up in the adirondacks. If you need any info on teaching colleges you can also PM me.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:01 PM »
The more and more I hear of school teaching the more I am liking the sound of it. I think it would be a great job.

Offline water walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:50 PM »
The others who mentioned it before me are correct, environmental jobs are difficult to find.  I was lucky when I got my job with an environmental consulting company (right place at the right time).  It took me 2 years to find work within my major (B.S. biology/ environmental science).  My initial goal was a job in wildlife biology, but now I'm working on wind farm sites, designing erosion control plans, and delineating wetlands, none of which I ever expected to do. 

Enough about me though, since you are interested in teaching, as well as the biological fields, you may want to look into Mansfield University in Pennsylvania.  They have an excellent fisheries program with high job placement, the biology department is strong, and Mansfield has a very good teaching program.  I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity has no end

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:56 PM »
Another wildlife biology degree here.  Couldn't find a state job, but have found a good private job.  Working with non-profits and also some with the state through a contract.  I went to Unity College in Maine.  A great SMALL college!

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:03 PM »
Unity is a very good hands-on college, but am I right in saying its not your typical college LBD?

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Hard to be "typical" with only 500 students.  If you want some awsome teaching, small classes, and 30 minutes from the coast, then it is a great school.  Sure, you have to deal with the outdoor recreation majors!, but they are cool to hang out with.
I loved the ongoing battle between the conservation law majors and the outdoor recreation majors.  It was wicked funny.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:33 PM »
The NYS Ranger School is not your typical college. 1 building housing dorms, classrooms, cafeteria, offices, situated on 2800 acres surrounded by thousands and thousands of acres of state forest preserve, and situated on the Oswegatchie river. We started out with 36 students and graduate 30. Best college I ever went too. Most of the time we were out in the woods doing hands on activities whether it was 90 degrees out or -40.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.