The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: That's it for me  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
That's it for me
« on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:54 AM »
I know there is still good ice to fish in MA and VT. I really wish I could get up to Champlain one more time. But time to get other things done before the 1st race at Thompson Speedway in 2 weeks and the Las Vegas trip in 3 weeks. Got to get the travel trailer ready. Get the platform built for the new bee hives. Increasing from 2 hives up to 5 hives this year. Fascinating hobby. Time to uncover the boat when I return from Vegas and get ready for the flounder bite. Oh lets not forget Da Chu. Been a great season on the ice with great company. I always say to stay dry until the end of the ice season. Well my feet got wet last weekend when the ice broke. Be safe everyone chasing the last  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: of the season. Until next season

Tight Lines ;D ;D
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: That's it for me
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Sounds like you've got an action packed spring/summer.  Good luck on the soft water.  I'll keep an eye out for ya at the ditch.
westernmas on the finder

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Ya Jeff
Maintaining bee hives can be a rewarding hobby and a lot of fun.. My brother did it for year on my parents property.
It was very interesting helping him gather the honey and prepare them for the winter. The other thing was when a hive separated from the hive and we had to get them from a tree branch and make sure you got the queen in the hive so they would all follow her in.
 It is that time of the year for the flounders and haddock.
MA

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Live to ice fish another season.  Well done Jeff.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Ya Jeff
Maintaining bee hives can be a rewarding hobby and a lot of fun.. My brother did it for year on my parents property.
It was very interesting helping him gather the honey and prepare them for the winter. The other thing was when a hive separated from the hive and we had to get them from a tree branch and make sure you got the queen in the hive so they would all follow her in.
 It is that time of the year for the flounders and haddock.
Haven't had a swarm yet Dick. Got the Nuke box just in case though. LOL. I'll be getting the boat ready as soon as I get back from Vegas. Ordering and putting a T top on it this spring.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:28 AM »
I am with you Jeff. Ice up north is calling my name but there are a few things to get done around home this time of year. Like you I also have bee hives, 10 to be exact. Lots of work but the reward is a whole lot of liquid gold.

Just add water.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:11 AM »
I am with you Jeff. Ice up north is calling my name but there are a few things to get done around home this time of year. Like you I also have bee hives, 10 to be exact. Lots of work but the reward is a whole lot of liquid gold.

We started last year with 2 hives lost 1 over the winter. had put an order in for 4 boxes of bees to play it safe and increase to 4 hives. With the extra box of bees only needing 3 we have enough hives parts left over to build a 5th. I'm doing the Worcester County Bee Association course now. What a great hobby. I too would love to get back up to Champlain 1 more time. Just not in the cards. Already put the gear away :'( :'(.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:35 AM »
aww come on jeff.lol. don't forget Ontario. hey I'd like to come over and check out those bee hives one day

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:09 AM »
good season jeff. looks like u might be on some behive forums soon. haha see if shanty will do a spin off for ya!
I grew up on a old dairy farm and we had a few hives going when i was a kid. We didnt care for them, but a gentleman my grandparents knew kept them, and would pay us with a jar of honey every year. BE CAREFUL I do remember an incident where he had some sort of wardrobe malfunction and got his suite full of bees, he ended up taking helicopter ride off our property..

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Nice Jeff!

Great hobby but it can be costly as well. Bees are not cheap so you hope they produce all year round and stay all year round. About 5 years ago we had over 300 liters of honey. Last year was not even close to that. Not too mention, are fruit and berry trees and plants are awesome year after year because of them.

ICEHOLE - we do not even use suits at all. Just have to be smart and careful around them. Vibrations are not your friend around bees.
Just add water.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I have 64 acres of land but would love to live off the land. My wife doesn't like me killing the cows and pigs

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:11 AM »
I have 64 acres of land but would love to live off the land. My wife doesn't like me killing the cows and pigs

Ill do it for you.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Vibrations and dark colors. LOL. I usually just use the hat and vale. And yes My veggie garden last year was the best it has ever been. We are doing the fruit tree thing this spring as well. Have a pear tree now. Adding at least apple and cherry.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Ill do it for you.

I'll do it faster. LOL

In all seriousness. A lot of potential with that many acres. I am jealous.

Jeff - I have pretty much every fruit tree that will grow in this region and the pear and apples are by far the hardiest. Peaches can be hard. Cherrys are very temperature sensitive as well. Something to think about as well is bugs and birds. LOVE THEM
Just add water.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2019, 05:00 PM »
ive had a couple cherry trees for 10 yrs or more. never got a cherry off of em.lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:05 PM »
I'll do it faster. LOL

Definitely, but I catch more fish soooo...   ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:16 PM »
ive had a couple cherry trees for 10 yrs or more. never got a cherry off of em.lol

Ouch...
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:17 PM »
Definitely, but I catch more fish soooo...   ;D

Lol. Definitely lakers. Ill see you in june on my boat.
Just add water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:28 PM »
Lol. Definitely lakers. Ill see you in june on my boat.

You certainly will! 

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:37 PM »
Lol. Definitely lakers.
I may be able to help him with that on the wachusett opener

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2019, 08:10 AM »
i hear ya. on the club yesterday, still 6-10 inches of ice. but not for long
i'll ferment some honey if you want!
burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2019, 09:14 AM »
i hear ya. on the club yesterday, still 6-10 inches of ice. but not for long
i'll ferment some honey if you want!
burp

Nice keep at it while you can!

Ferment honey as in make Mead? I have been doing that for years and here are my top 2 flavors. (Blueberry and Grape Orange)

Just add water.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Nice keep at it while you can!

Ferment honey as in make Mead? I have been doing that for years and here are my top 2 flavors. (Blueberry and Grape Orange)

[/quote
Yes, i make all kinds, red and black raspberries, pears, from back yard and what ever i can trade for.
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2019, 11:29 AM »

Yes, i make all kinds, red and black raspberries, pears, from back yard and what ever i can trade for.
[/quote]

Nice Lenz!

Similar situation here. Also love currant and gooseberries. 
Just add water.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Hope y’all keep your prunings from your trees. Makes for great smoker material. Really like cherry for any pork!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Hope y’all keep your prunings from your trees. Makes for great smoker material. Really like cherry for any pork!
Keep it safe! JDL

Not just this but we drop a fruit tree every 4 years and plant one the same time. Rotating cycle so we always have wood to smoke with. This year its a pear tree. My smokers are not like many are used to either. Hand built and I can do a 400lb batch of kielbasa in one shot. The big boy is for meats and the smaller for smoking fish.

Just add water.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Not just this but we drop a fruit tree every 4 years and plant one the same time. Rotating cycle so we always have wood to smoke with. This year its a pear tree. My smokers are not like many are used to either. Hand built and I can do a 400lb batch of kielbasa in one shot. The big boy is for meats and the smaller for smoking fish.

Just got into the smoking game.  My gf got me a simple vertical charcoal smoker for xmas.  I'm slowly getting the hang of it.  I smoked a brisket for a bday party over the weekend and used a mix of hickory and apple and it came out excellent.  People couldn't believe that it was cooked at home and not purchased.  Simple rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder, and then smoked it from about 7:30-4:30 with about 4 hours in tin foil (can't find darn butcher paper around here).  Was pretty nervous serving it to others when it was my first go at that piece of meat.  The results spoke for themselves tho.
westernmas on the finder

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2019, 03:42 PM »
I got a big pile of prunings if ya want em. mostly apple

Offline Bigbellybilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bigbellybilly
« Reply #28 on: Mar 29, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Good luck on the racing yes getting boat ready Son has first tournament in 2 weeks then heading to Alabama for High school World  Championship

Bigbelly

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.