New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413137 times)

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2430 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:48 PM »

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2431 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on how to keep the dinks from mauling tip ups on Chautauqua? I couldn’t keep tip ups in the water Sunday because they kept tripping flags. Thought they finally calmed near dusk so put out a bunch of tip ups and left them until dark hoping for some eyes. When I picked them up 2 were bare hooks and the rest had dead minnows that were all chewed up. Would switching to larger shiners help? I was using emeralds. Or should I try to avoid where dinks are? I was hoping small perch meant eyes might end up there to feed at some point. No proof that happened though.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2432 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:54 AM »
Never had any luck at Chautauqua with tip ups. Some lakes they work good. Not sure why? Just use jigging rapala`s.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2433 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Anyone know If there have been any machines accessing the lake via Meadows rd?
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2434 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:49 AM »
The hovercraft has been out from there there was 1 snowmobile out there Sunday night  I'm not saying it's safe for them just stating a few have been out the few times ive been out

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2435 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Fish yesterday managed two nice eyes, when I got to Pendergast look like four wheeler went in at launch. Things should tighten back up on the shore ice . Still catching the males that’s all good , let females do there thing . Be safe guys

Offline Walleyewonder7777777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2436 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Does anyone know if there is anywhere to access the lake by mission meadows? I want to try up that way but don't know where I can park

Offline bigeye77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2437 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:02 AM »
icefever pull the little perch up, take off your bait and hook the perch on your tipups as bait.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2438 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Nice pics in the above 2 posts but if you included ice conditions at your access point it would be more helpful to us other fishermen.

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2439 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:30 PM »
8 to 10 inches of white ice

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2440 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:20 PM »
icefever pull the little perch up, take off your bait and hook the perch on your tipups as bait.
.                                        Got to park at road walk the hill

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2441 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:52 PM »

I like that idea. Although there were lots of people near me with tip ups out that didn’t seem to be getting hounded by dink flags. Perhaps they had larger shiners on or something.

Offline trout-killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2442 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Anyone been catching eyes or crappie after dark?  I've fished until 7 or so, but haven't gotten anything after the sun is completely down.  Can't get out until after dark during the week and was wondering if it's even worth trying.  Everyone else I've seen is leaving by 5:30 or 6 at the latest.

been lookin for the craps every evening that i can get out. only one keeper so far this year on the lakewood bar in heavy weeds. gonna be out this eve in a different spot with the pressure bottoming out, if they're around it should turn them on. I was out on the bar monday eve til about 7, pressure was still over 30, seemed to be marking fish on the vex but no takers except for 3 dink perch. water was very murky, darker jigs were the only thing that got any attention. 12+" of ice.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2443 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Anyone been out of Dewittville Bay for perch this year?  Use to hammer the nice size perch over there or are they dinks also.  Just a little info. would be appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2444 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Only dinks for me chaser. Another 2 weeks and the bigger ones will show up to the party.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2445 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Only dinks for me chaser. Another 2 weeks and the bigger ones will show up to the party.
I got their food, lets hope they show up for the perch fest.

Offline bobo1729

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2446 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Anyone been out of the bell tower yet this year ? Was wondering how thick the ice was there

Offline OhioIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2447 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:15 PM »
Coming up Friday and thinking of bringing ATVs for ice fishing out of Dewittville and long point. Any thoughts or recommendations? Staying on the lake and would like to get my kids out hence bringing the ATVs.   

Thanks in advance

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2448 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:57 PM »
Fished dewittville today took a sled allcgiid ice.  Fished for walleye in 45 fow no walleye to be found not even a even any shorts.  Maybe I was fishing the wrong depth what do you guys think?  Skip said the past few days walleye have been slow though.   Got a musky though that made the trip worth while.  First in through the ice, that was a rush!!!!!!

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2449 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Dewitteville has been hot for me , seems like they would be staging cause of creek , got few buddy’s that fish that almost ever day they been getting a few . Got go past creek and fish other side 34 fow has been the ticket for us. I here u about that rush catching musky, I also got one what a fight and the old blood pumps lol good luck be safe

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2450 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Careful out there folks, I fell in yesterday afternoon leaving the ice at the Prender boat launch.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2451 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Careful out there folks, I fell in yesterday afternoon leaving the ice at the Prender boat launch.

that was sketchy last Sunday just don't walk in the middle

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #2452 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:40 PM »

That launch is always crappy, late season you can watch the guys walk past good ice to get on at the launch. Get on the ice near the cattails. Lots of wet boots!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2453 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:41 PM »
I was more than wet boots, I was up over my waste. Never fished there before.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2454 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Ya go off we’re cattails are a lot better , plus on Sunday I guy drove four wheeler over it and broke it up even worst , we got some cold temperatures coming up so should lock up again .

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2455 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Unfortunatly the weatherpeople are also forecasting a goodamount of snow! >:(

F4W

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2456 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:25 PM »
Might try long point Monday for eyes or Vikings for perch. We wanted to try Irondequoit Saturday but it’s gunna be too windy. Anyone planning on going out next week?

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2457 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:37 PM »
Stickhick glad I didn`t make the attempt out of Prendergast. I came from Mayville about 3 p.m., and didn`t look safe to me. Didn`t look like a hole in the ice so you must have went in later? Going to be 10 degrees tonight so should tighten up shoreline.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2458 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Never seemed to be a problem to get a limit of perch before of 7 - 9", and few being 9". This year all 7 and below, WAY BELOW! Maybe it`s the temps bouncing up, and down drastically?

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2459 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:34 AM »
Stickhick glad I didn`t make the attempt out of Prendergast. I came from Mayville about 3 p.m., and didn`t look safe to me. Didn`t look like a hole in the ice so you must have went in later? Going to be 10 degrees tonight so should tighten up shoreline.

It was around 2 pm that I went through

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.