Author Topic: Dead Bait Presentation  (Read 1556 times)

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
Dead Bait Presentation
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Playing around with frozen dead bait.  Looking for opinions on suspended or sitting on the bottom. 

Fishing in 15-20 FOW
Using dead smelt

Do I hang them off the ground 1' above bottom?  Or leave the lay on the bottom?  Thoughts?

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dead Bait Presentation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Depends on what you are targeting and where they are in the water column.  For pike I fish them the same way I would live bait.  I've never fished lakers but I've heard for them you lay it on the bottom.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Yes, targeting Pike.  So presentation suspended in the water column... probably 1' off the bottom.

What about walleye? 

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:22 AM »
3'-4' off bottom start with and go up or down from there!! For pike

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:26 AM »
For pike, I suspend dead bait 3'-4' off the bottom.  Lake trout tend to hang out right on the bottom, so for lake trout I suspend dead bait about a foot above the bottom to reduce the chances that the bait will be hidden by nearby rocks or weeds, but lake trout are happy to take dead bait off the bottom.  One way to fish for lake trout from shore or a dock is by casting a sausage or dead bait out with an egg slip sinker on your line, letting the sinker and bait sink to the bottom, and putting a bit of tension on your line so you can tell when a lake trout grabs your bait.  A favorite bait on Flathead Lake is Johnsonville maple syrup flavored sausages.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:39 AM »
For pike, I suspend dead bait 3'-4' off the bottom.  Lake trout tend to hang out right on the bottom, so for lake trout I suspend dead bait about a foot above the bottom to reduce the chances that the bait will be hidden by nearby rocks or weeds, but lake trout are happy to take dead bait off the bottom.  One way to fish for lake trout from shore or a dock is by casting a sausage or dead bait out with an egg slip sinker on your line, letting the sinker and bait sink to the bottom, and putting a bit of tension on your line so you can tell when a lake trout grabs your bait. " A favorite bait on Flathead Lake is Johnsonville maple syrup flavored sausages."

I bet you could have a lot of fun with that bait after hours at your local pub. You could just wait outside in the bushes and flip cast out into the light, and wait for them to bite...I wonder what you would call it? "Slob Drunk Fishing"? At any rate I'd practice catch and release fishing...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.