The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: SD maps of lakes  (Read 3488 times)

Offline pepsiman

• IceShanty Rookie
SD maps of lakes
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Was wondering where i can get info for a map that shows where and what the name of the sloughs are up in the Watertown area?? Thanks  for any info anyone might have..!!!
gettin the crapps

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SD maps of lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:35 AM »
I would suggest going and buying a South Dakota Gazetter and Atlas.  It's a big red book/magazine that you can pick up at places like Lewis Drug and whatnot for about $20.  It shows you all the lakes, sloughs, etc. for SD, there locations, roads to get to them, etc.  It's basically a big map book.  I got it for locating various sloughs and stuff around the SF area.  Hope this helps!

-WF.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Here is what WF is talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899333303/103-3308805-8730221?v=glance&n=283155

This is a great tool to have. 

WF (or anyone else) - not to hijack this thread, but this is kind of on subject, since it involves sloughs. You seem to be "in the know" with respect to lakes in the Day County/Webster area.  Have you ever heard anything about a slough west of Lily, SD.  It may be a GPA.  In any event, I have been reviewing SD stocking reports, and the GFP has been dumping a lot of walleye fry into a Day County lake referenced as "Lily" for the last several years.  I have never once heard so much as a whisper about this lake or about fish being caught there.  One day last winter I took a drive southeast of Webster down by Horseshoe and Long Lakes and then over through the town of Lily and there was a place where the road ends just west of town where the road meets a slough.  I am assuming this is the place.  There was one portable out on the lake the day I was in the area.   

If anyone knows anything about this slough or what the story is there, I would be interested in hearing about it.  Like I said, the SD fish stocking report is what led to my curiosity.       

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:50 PM »
Here is what WF is talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899333303/103-3308805-8730221?v=glance&n=283155

This is a great tool to have. 

WF (or anyone else) - not to hijack this thread, but this is kind of on subject, since it involves sloughs. You seem to be "in the know" with respect to lakes in the Day County/Webster area.  Have you ever heard anything about a slough west of Lily, SD.  It may be a GPA.  In any event, I have been reviewing SD stocking reports, and the GFP has been dumping a lot of walleye fry into a Day County lake referenced as "Lily" for the last several years.  I have never once heard so much as a whisper about this lake or about fish being caught there.  One day last winter I took a drive southeast of Webster down by Horseshoe and Long Lakes and then over through the town of Lily and there was a place where the road ends just west of town where the road meets a slough.  I am assuming this is the place.  There was one portable out on the lake the day I was in the area.   

If anyone knows anything about this slough or what the story is there, I would be interested in hearing about it.  Like I said, the SD fish stocking report is what led to my curiosity.       

Yep - that is exactly what I'm talking about husker... 

I don't know if I am 'in the know' about the lakes in Day Cty... but I like to keep informed and upto date w/ reports and information pertaining to the lakes in the area... thanks nonetheless - I just like to be able to pass along info from time to time.  Anyways... back on track - I have never heard anything about a slough in that area much less a Lily Lake, but I do remember seeing the stocking reports the last few years and I thought I had recalled a Lily being in there with lots of fry being stocked. 

I looked in the book just now and the road your talking about that meets a slough looks like a very, very small one that isn't named in the book, nor indicated as a GPA, WPA, etc.  However, if you go past that you'll hit another road/street after a few miles and if ya shoot that south, you'll run right into the Lily GPA which is quite a bit larger and looks like a larger slough.  Indeed it's bigger than Long & Horseshoe.  I am presuming this is the Lily Lake they are referring to.  I don't see anything else in the book referencing Lily other than the town and this GPA. 

Do you have the book, have you looked at this I'm presuming?  Also - when you said the road that runs west out of town, were you referring to that cty road or the one you take south to the GPA?  Was just wondering if you were referring to the smaller slough or Lily GPA.  ;D

-WF.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Now that you mention it, my directions were somewhat vague.  With the detail you added, you are exactly right - it was the Lily GPA that I was looking at.  That is the body of water that I am referring to.

I went back to the GFP stocking record posted on the website and saw that, in 2003, 1.5 million fry were stocked in "Lily":

http://www.sdgfp.info/Publications/FishStockingReport03.pdf

Now, obviously, fry from 2003 are not going to be wallhangers by any stretch of the imagination, but if memory serves me, this is not the first stocking report that has made mention of this place.  In fact, I believe stocking efforts may date back to the late 90's, which only makes sense, because that is when, thanks to floodwater, this lake was "created," so to speak.  I wish they had more than one year's stocking reports on the website.

In any event, I appreciate your clarification.  There are so many of these "potholes" over in that region that are full of fish that curiosity sometimes just gets me going. 

Perhaps I should spend more time fishing and less time drooling over the stocking reports.       

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I thought your directions were pretty good!  I knew you were talking about the Lily GPA... just not sure what road you were referring to completely ;).  As far as all the potholes around getting the fishing imagination going - I hear ya ;).  Now that you got me going on the fry stockings... I'm wondering if I might make a days drive over to that GPA next time I'm @ Waubay!!!  ;D  Never hurts to give it a try - if nothing else a guy might be able to have an awesome day of C&R w/ some smaller eyes!  Two weeks I'll be up in that area, just maybe I'll get there!!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.