Author Topic: Ion wobbles?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ion wobbles?
« on: Oct 19, 2016, 06:52 PM »
I noticed that my new Ion has a noticeable wobble when turned on and held off the ground?  It does this with or without the extension.  Never had one so I have no idea if this is normal with these or not?  Thanks.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Ion wobbles?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Probably not a fair test....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:52 PM »
It could be that you're holding it in the air but when you put it on ice the center point will stop this because it's not in the air.  I'd call the manufacturer and talk with them about it.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Is it a case of wobble caused by an unbalanced bit?  That's easily possible with many auger bits, and it doesn't matter they are not a high enough rpm range to worry about like you would want to balance a wheel on a truck..

<°)))>{

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:00 PM »
You just need ice fishing to be here already, that's your problem. Go take the boat out and bring your flasher and ice rods along and you'll quit worrying about your new auger.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:14 PM »
I'd still call the company and talk with them about it, you certainly paid a lot of money for it and it should be right.

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:14 PM »
You just need ice fishing to be here already, that's your problem. Go take the boat out and bring your flasher and ice rods along and you'll quit worrying about your new auger.

You're probably right on that,  it did get to 73F today!   ;D

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Mine started to do this slightly last season. For me, it was as simple as tightening the bolt on the top that attaches it to the auger head. I've had this happen on other augers in the past as well, especially after really long, bumpy, runs on the ice. The 'rattling' on the auger loosens that pin every so slightly.

All I did was tighten it up and it fixed the issue. To keep it tight, I put some blue loctite on it (still goes in and out) on recommendation from a buddy and it resolved the issue perfectly. Maybe this helps you? Otherwise just call them, Eskimo / ION have awesome customer service.

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Mine started to do this slightly last season. For me, it was as simple as tightening the bolt on the top that attaches it to the auger head. I've had this happen on other augers in the past as well, especially after really long, bumpy, runs on the ice. The 'rattling' on the auger loosens that pin every so slightly.

All I did was tighten it up and it fixed the issue. To keep it tight, I put some blue loctite on it (still goes in and out) on recommendation from a buddy and it resolved the issue perfectly. Maybe this helps you? Otherwise just call them, Eskimo / ION have awesome customer service.

Yeah,  I tried tightening it up but it didn't change.  I did speak to a guy that has the same auger and he said there is no wobbling with his. 

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Yeah,  I tried tightening it up but it didn't change.  I did speak to a guy that has the same auger and he said there is no wobbling with his.

Maybe remove the blades and take the drill off the powerhead and then roll the drill on a FLAT surface like a counter top (a floor probably isn't flat enough) to see if the drill is bent.  I'm not certain that doing this proves that an ice drill is straight (variations in the flighting may make it an invalid test) but it may be worth a look.

In any case, probably worth a call to ION's/Eskimo's customer service before they're swamped with calls at first ice to see what they say and to document that there is a possible issue with the drill.

Good luck.

Dan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.