Author Topic: whiting for bait  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
whiting for bait
« on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:02 AM »
  I found a seafood place near me and called to ask if they had smelt-head on. He said "no, what are you fishing for?" I told him pike. He explained why I can't find smelt with head on. He suggested whiting, his were 7-8 in. and he said sometimes fishers come in for them. Ever use them? When I called, they were to close in 10 min. so I could not visit, when I do, what are some others I should ask if they stock. Went out anyway, and caught 2 pike, 26,29 on dead sucker, and my new mono quick set rigs, might go to flo. might not. Thanks Oh yeah,about froze!

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: whiting for bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:20 AM »
yup whiting works. I'm curious what their explanation was for not being able to get smelt with heads? I've run into the same problem.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Whiting work pretty well. Those cleaned headless smelt also work. I found 2lb bags of head on frozen smelt at an Asian supermarket by my place. If you can find one near you I've found Asian supermarkets have much better seafood selections than the big name supermarkets.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Thanks all, The guy told me that today, most of the commercial smelt fishing is done in canada, where they use drag nets, and as they are hauled on board, they are be-headed and gutted all in one operation before dispatched everywhere

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.