The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: pike pickerel hybrid information  (Read 1752 times)

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
pike pickerel hybrid information
« on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I am an esox addict from Riverton, Wyoming and would like some information or help in where I could catch a pickerel pike hybrid as it is one of the few pike family varieties I've never caught. I was diagnosed with bone cancer in the fall of 2015 and since I've been aware of that hybrid it is near the top of my bucket list. I still ice fish some but my chemotherapy makes it difficult to deal with super cold weather, plus my skin is very light sensitive (I sunburn easily) so I have to cover up my face and hands to prevent burning. It appears that Lake Champlain is the place to go, but due to it's large size and my  complete unfamiliarity with the area and the lake, I was hoping for some tips or help. I'm only able to actively fish a few hours at a time. What areas and times of year would give me the best chance to catching a hybrid? Is there anyplace where icefishing gear could be rented, or boats could be rented? I would have to fly out, so I would be limited on what I could bring with me. Thank you for your time and hopefully your help. I enjoy your website very much, as I don't get out too much, so reading about and seeing photos helps keep me occupied during our long Wyoming winters.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: pike pickerel hybrid information
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:25 PM »
they are a rare fish. especially the big ones. member flypredator is a guide and is very knowledgeable on the subject.

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:17 PM »
I believe Woodyvt caught one one this weekend up at the gut. Woody if you see this post can you confirm.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Yes I did catch a hybrid up in the gut.....back in hibbard bay.

Although rare, I have caught quite a few over the years.  Areas I have caught them include the Gut, mallets bay, st albans bay.  Pretty much wherever pike/pickerel hang together.

TIggertamer- PM me if ya decide to come out and I can offer up specific spots to go.

Hope it helps......wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Thanks to those who replied. It may be awhile before I can come out. Any particular time of year when the action and chance to catch one is higher? Muskies are my favorite fish, I've read that Otter Creek has muskies, is there a closed season on them and is Otter Creek attached to Lake Champlain? I'd like to be able to chase both. I primarily am a wade fisherman and use to ice fish a lot, not nearly as much now as the chemo I'm on causes me to have poor circulation in my feet and left hand. I caught and released my largest northern pike ice fishing, about 25lbs, according to the formula, here in Wyoming. I lived in Tennessee back in the early 2000's so I've chased and caught hundreds of chain pickerel, but I never could land any larger than 25". I was fortunate enough to catch some unusual specimens though. I caught 3 with no markings except the black eye bar, 1 that was a hybrid between a chain and a grass pickerel, and last year I got to fish Guest Millpond in Georgia (home of the chain pickerel world record) and caught a nearly solid black chain. Thanks again for the replies. Good luck to everyone on your fishing.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2018, 04:59 PM »
they are a rare fish. especially the big ones. member flypredator is a guide and is very knowledgeable on the subject.

I second that! Drew Price is who you want, his specialty are toothy predators on the flyrod, but does ice fish as well. I think you can contact him through his website www.dponthefly.blogspo t.com or type his name into google...it'll come up.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:17 AM »
Muskie don’t have a season and must be immediately released
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:29 AM »
Keelers bay I’ve caught some impressive pickerel and 3 hybrids in recent years

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:11 AM »
I’ve caught nice hybrids at bensons landing a few times in past years. Not too far from shore. Good luck

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Catching them in magog. There about 22-24"
Not common
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:21 AM »
I have caught the hybrids off Hog Island before, but its only usually 1 or 2 a season, In New York there is a small lake called Delta where I've caught a few of the hybrids out of. Good luck, it is fun to catch them saying its a pike...no pickerel....no its both.... :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied, may have to do research on Delta Lake. As for the muskies, I release all my muskies, big pike, hybrids, big pickerel, and other rare or unusual esocids. Another item on my bucket is to catch and release a muskie or tiger in every state or province that has them except Wisconsin(protesting the BS records of Louis Spray that the FWFHOF still accepts and embraces). I'm a 25 year plus member of Muskies Inc. and am up to 15 states or provinces, but none in the Northeast as I've never fished that region (I guess I'm saving the best? for last) I have a lot of knowledge on western tiger muskie fisheries, and southern muskie fisheries if anyone needs help or information on those subjects. Also know a lot about salmonid fishing in the mountain states of the west especially Wyoming(walleye and sauger in Wyoming also). Thanks again. 

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Delta lake is in Rome, NY in the summer there is a state camp ground with a boat launch on the lake, in the winter you can drive out at the same spot to access the ice. Good luck,
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.