New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092655 times)

Offline Northeasternfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Got out on a Westchester pond this weekend 1.5-2 inches of ice got a couple bluegill before I was forced to go. Only got out for a few days on the NYC reservoirs this year but caught a bunch of fish. As long as you are ok with 2.5 inches of ice, some of the ponds around here have that you just have to find them. Any reservoir reports I have not checked as I doubt there will be any ice. Thanks. :tipup:

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi hope everyone’s ice season is finally starting to kick off... I have a generally question which might be kinda dumb but I figured I’d ask... if a local lake has 3” of ice and the high today is 42 with a low of 22 will that ice be affected at all by tomorrow? Plan on trying to get out tomorrow and feel good about the 3” but If we lose some of that might not feel as good about it...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi hope everyone’s ice season is finally starting to kick off... I have a generally question which might be kinda dumb but I figured I’d ask... if a local lake has 3” of ice and the high today is 42 with a low of 22 will that ice be affected at all by tomorrow? Plan on trying to get out tomorrow and feel good about the 3” but If we lose some of that might not feel as good about it...

The answer to your question has more to do with the water temperature under the ice than the ambient temps above. If there are springs or stream/creek currents under the ice these could make things very sketchy. Any open water areas in the lake or pond will also affect the ice building and especially if there is wind and waves. This is a very dangerous time for us here in Sullivan county with some lakes and ponds locked up and others still wide open. 5 inches in one area could quickly turn to 1 or 2 inches just a few feet away. What is happening below the ice is as or more important than what is going on above it.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• IceShanty Rookie
The ice is not going to be that affected because there is not a lot of time above freezing most of the water on top will refreeze overnight. If you have any snow on top you wont be affected at all. I would use your judgement when you get out there and use a spud bar as you never know if there is a spring or the day before there might have been a bunch of ducks. My biggest problem with fishing these temps is when the ice melts on top you might get soaked from kneeling on the ice.  :tipup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I use these sites ...but not a replacement for a spud bar .

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-growth/

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/how-fast-does-your-lake-make-ice/

Take the average temperature in a 24 hour period, subtract the average temperature  from the freezing point of water (32 F) and we get freezing degree days.
rate of about one inch of ice / 15 freezing degree days (FDDS) in the most ideal conditions 
10 =3/4 inch
7=1/2 inch
3=1/4 inch
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank you everyone for the great info

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
I use a 42 inch DeWalt Demolition bar as a spud bar. Works great but it's super sharp so it will go straight thru 4 inches if you hit it hard enough. I learned how to hit it the right way to judge thickness

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior how much ice? Looking for a good bubble for my engel bait cooler any recommendations?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Superior how much ice? Looking for a good bubble for my engel bait cooler any recommendations?

I drove past Superior today and saw a few guys out but a long way past the steep launch area that I was by and the ice looked black but very thin out from the launch. Other spots looked better and did have guys fishing. Same with White Lake off the launch and saw 2 guys fishing to the left from the launch but some open water straight out where the orange buoys are.  Anyone know what those are there for?

Regarding the bubbler. Do you need a portable battery type or a plug in home type or one that does both? I bought a Frabil Aqua Life 14341 last year that runs on 2 D batteries and also came with an accessory plug for the car lighter socket that reduces power from 12V down to 3V while driving. I then went online and bought a power adaptor that has selectable voltages from 3V up to 12V that plugs in the wall at home. So I have battery on the ice, power in the car and power at home. I think under $25 for the works.

Gam

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought the clam lithium powered aerator.  Ones with two air outlets, two stones, two check valves and plenty of tubing. Battery is  supposed to last 16+ hours on a charge.
I plan on trying it out this weekend. I’ll let you guys know how it works.
Hopefully Superior will be good safe ice by Saturday.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Dave327 ill look into that one and good luck out there maybe well meet up on the Ice this weekend

• IceShanty Rookie
 Do any of you guys have any ice reports on the NYC reservoirs? Hopefully they will freeze up again but I am not too hopeful.  :tipup:

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hoping this rain holds off tonight

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm afraid that mother nature will ruin the ice once again this weekend, not to mention the temps are around 50* right now.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any new ice fishing gear that has come out this year? Always looking for something different to try

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
Whats the snow cover like on the sullivan small waters?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hello fellow SENY ice fishermen just want to pass on an update about one of the Sullivan County ice fishing contests I received notice yesterday that the Swan Lake Hose Co. #1 contest scheduled for this Sunday Jan. 25TH has been rescheduled for Sunday Feb.23RD because of concerns about ice conditions. I was without internet service until earlier today or I would have posted this info. last night.

In my travels around Eastern Orange county this week I've seen some small shallow ponds have iced over once again if you plan to fish this weekend remember the safety equipment.
 Steve

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Im in Dutchess County it feels like spring here I think I will get my canoe out I will probably use it before I fuel up my auger

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening another contest update for all of you. The Sullivan County Federation of Sportsmen's clubs youth ice fishing contest at Crystal Lake in the Ten Mile river Boy Scout reservation scheduled for tomorrow Sat.Jan.25TH has been canceled due to poor ice conditions. They hope to hold the contest on either Sat. Feb 15TH or Sat. Feb.22ND. Here is a link for the Federation's website so everyone can check for info. on this contest.

www.sportsmensfederation.com[/url]

Steve

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit Superior today for a few hours. Got a pretty wet a**. There was an average of 4-5”  of ice on the side away from the boat launch. I don’t know how well the ice is going to hold up with all the rain. Hopefully it gets cold in Bethel next week to firm everything up again.
Did manage to catch a few pickerel, 5 keeper perch and 10 bluegills.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the report dave i to fished superior and got soaked but managed 8 gills 1 perch and 1 pickerel gunna make the trip tomorrow and check out how the ice did against the rains wanting to drill a few holes and hole hop at the very least

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
I did notice a few guys on white lake of the boat launch not sure how thick the ice was tho

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I did notice a few guys on white lake of the boat launch not sure how thick the ice was tho
the day it snowed there was a good 4-5 inches. There where holes though, With a spud you could probably feel your way around.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did a few hours early this morning on superior 18 big perch 5 pickerel over 15” 18 gills between 4 guys bunch if short pickerel and perch also tossed back about 3” of slush on the ice when we left around 1130

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fishing tomorrow morning, I love Mondays. How thick is the ice there?

Gam

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I saw a couple guys out on Lake Carmel in Putnam today. Crazy...
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing tomorrow morning, I love Mondays. How thick is the ice there?

Gam
about 5” when we left

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Big girls came out to play today up in northern Sullivan. Ice was 7-8” with about 3” of slop on top. Multiple perch up to 14” and two smaller walleye.

Offline Skylands27

• IceShanty Rookie
Hows the shoreline access? Tough walk? Contemplating the drive from nj tomorrow

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
So im looking to catch my first walleye ever. I see a few guys catching them on here i don't even no were to start ive tried morningside for them no luck any tips in the right direction would be very much appreciated feel free to private message me not looking for any ones spot maybe a lake name and were to enter the lake from thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.