Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 175746 times)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #90 on: Dec 12, 2009, 11:06 AM »
I shun marcum for one reason only, that terrible transducer arm.  I hate those things with a passion.  I fell in love with the Vexilar float system, and now a Humminbird ICE-35.  From the marcums I've seen, they are no doubt up to the task, but that transducer arm is a deal breaker for me.  I know I could just add a float to it aftermarket, but then I've got a vexilar branded float on a marcum?  Blasphemy some would say!

I did like the float better than the arm, so i just cut a section of pool float.....worked as a perfect replacement.......and No Vex Logo.

Offline jiggin617

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #91 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Bean, thanks for your time and effort on the information you provided. I just upgraded to the LX-5 and gave my FL8SE to my son. Cant wait to get on the ice with it.

Offline fishngameguy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Dec 27, 2009, 09:02 AM »
I love the transducer support arm on the LX5.  You can drill a successive line or shotgun pattern of holes go back and get the LX and move from hole to hole runnin and gunnin with no more effort then pickin it up and putting it down.  The float system is not as easy in this application.  I have tried both and love the arm! 

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #93 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:19 PM »
+1  also I find you get less fish caught in it than the floats....
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline fishin_fever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Sorry for the rookie question, but what does the dual beam transducer feature do?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:01 PM »
It provides different beam angles. One will be a narrow beam at around 8 or 9 degrees, and the other one will be a wider beam at 19 or 20 degrees. The wider beam allows you to see more area. The narrow beam is usually used in deeper areas or weedy areas.
Ken                                          

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #96 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:58 PM »
have the fl-20 with duel beam and love it found it was easier to quickly locate the fish and then zone in on them i do like the marcum don't get me wrong i just prefer the vex  ;)
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Tep151

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice!!!
« Reply #97 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Anybody use the Showdown?  i was thinking about getting one and want to get some new reviews on it.....

Offline ICDUCKS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Just ordered the Humminbird Ice 55. Cant wait to get it and figure it out. Never had any kind of flasher so this will be all new to me.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Anybody use the Showdown?  i was thinking about getting one and want to get some new reviews on it.....

That's what I WANTED!!!  All the people who like to talk about power and technology, the Showdown absolutely blows them all away.  Problem was, everyone else wanted one too and seemed to buy them all before I pulled the trigger on one.

Jim

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:08 AM »
Ever seen one in action? I have ...... the vertical gray scale is an acquired taste. When I purchased my flasher after seeing the Showdown it wasn't even on my list of possibilities. I personally didn't like it. Seems to be lots of posts about blown fuses on it.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline tybo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Did a lot of research before I bought a flasher and ended up buying an the Ice 35. I love it and have compared them too the competitors and would say they hold their own. Too each his own though all major flasher manufacturers make good products, all we need to do is figure out what we want personally and try it out. I will agree it's nice to have the advantage of the flasher and hope everyone gets the chance to use one regardless of brand.   

Offline firesong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:57 PM »
It was the same when I went to pick one up. Only one in shop, others were out.
I've used mine alot. No issues with fuses or anything. I like the display and it's easy
to read and zoom into areas.  Battery life is great too.
I had to play with it a bit to get to know it. But that learning curve
was quick and easy.

I love my showdown.

FS

That's what I WANTED!!!  All the people who like to talk about power and technology, the Showdown absolutely blows them all away.  Problem was, everyone else wanted one too and seemed to buy them all before I pulled the trigger on one.

Jim

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:55 AM »
BIRD HANDS DOWN!

Offline jigisup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 15, 2010, 05:21 PM »
I have had my Ice-55 for 2 months now. It is AWESOME. I have not had any other flasher but if there is a better unit out there it must be unbelievable. The LCD is great. I have been out every weekend except one since I got it. The battery is maybe down to 75% after 7 hours. The color is incredible and I have been having a ball with it. It has definitely improved the numbers of fish I catch. Trouble free and fun fun fun. 

Offline seekingthebigone

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I got 'em!....oh no.
« Reply #105 on: Mar 02, 2010, 02:43 PM »
I've got the Vexilar FL-20 and I love it.  The zoom feature and accuracy is great.  Definitely has helped me catch more fish. I fish up to 150' deep and no problem seeing my jig or swivel.  I've used it in -10 temps and have had no problems.  I haven't had the battery down past 85% and that's after 5-6 hours fishing.  I'm sure just about any of the new flashers would do the job just fine, but I'm happy with the FL-20.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:05 PM »
some of you guys should look into Lowrance x68 does your flasher have mapping gps and the flasher mode split screen switch it over to your boat for year round use i don't think so all for the same price its a no brain er get one
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I have the bottom line with the flasher and my bird wins hands down!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Oct 25, 2010, 06:57 PM »
some of you guys should look into Lowrance x68 does your flasher have mapping gps and the flasher mode split screen switch it over to your boat for year round use i don't think so all for the same price its a no brain er get one
How old is your unit? To the best of my knowledge it was discontinued a few years back.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline juan arellano

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Nov 10, 2010, 10:44 AM »
this is the way I see it, They all are great units. I myself am a Vexilar guy and for the money you spend on the flashers you have to look at what you are buying. when I ran my Lx5 for the season I did I had to send in for Two duser's . this thing would just blow the chit out the crystal and I would be down for how ever long it took to get the new one sent to me. I have never had the problem with a Vexilar, this is why I stand behind the 50 years of excellence... OUT PERFORM, AND OUTLAST ( VEXILAR )
The more you think you know. is the less you really know

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #110 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:12 AM »
is it just me or are the prices for any of these units at least 3 times what they should be? I bought a matrix with dual screens, zoom, weather, and gps for my boat and it cost less than $300. I bought newer technology for half the price of ancient technology. All of you folks keep paying the high price for this stuff so they keep raising it to see how far they can take it. These units should be around $100 since the concept and technology has been developed and refined for decades already, The only changes in these systems (really) has been the battery, charger, and type of box they can be carried around in. oh yeah....and the zoom feature....whoop de doo - that doesn't justify the cost at all

now that my rant is over - I am still unsure which one to buy because everyone's experience and reviews are relatively the same for any unit. My concern now would be cost......I can't see paying $400 for a new system that may work as well as a $75 system from 10 years ago

Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #111 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:33 AM »
I don't have a wealth of experience with many different manufactured flashers. I do own a Marcum VX-1, very happy with this machine in every way. Awesome Flasher!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Nov 29, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Good thread, thanks for the info .

Offline HFB-MN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Ok, so I know I could get a barrage of answers on this but here goes.  Mt brother-in-law got me started in the ice fishing world a few years ago and I really enjoy it now.  I have be buying the typical parts and pieces over the last couple years but am finally ready to purchase one of the flashers on the market.  I would perfur to buy one and be done with it.  Living in MN and having Vexilar in out back yard I'm finding most shops are VERY pro Vex.  I have been looking at the LX-5 and the FL-22 trying to figure out the right way to go.  I have some concerns about both, first my brother-in-law uses an old Vex and I don't want to over power his signal with the Marc (if that is even possible, still learning all this stuff remember), and then the bottom lock on the Vex that everybody is talking about on this string and other I have been reading, is that really such a big deal in the real world of winter fishing?

Little background on where we fish, smaller lakes for pan fish most of the winter and 2 or 3 trips up to Lake of the Woods, Mille Lacs, or Winni.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #114 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Ok, so I know I could get a barrage of answers on this but here goes.  Mt brother-in-law got me started in the ice fishing world a few years ago and I really enjoy it now.  I have be buying the typical parts and pieces over the last couple years but am finally ready to purchase one of the flashers on the market.  I would perfur to buy one and be done with it.  Living in MN and having Vexilar in out back yard I'm finding most shops are VERY pro Vex.  I have been looking at the LX-5 and the FL-22 trying to figure out the right way to go.  I have some concerns about both, first my brother-in-law uses an old Vex and I don't want to over power his signal with the Marc (if that is even possible, still learning all this stuff remember), and then the bottom lock on the Vex that everybody is talking about on this string and other I have been reading, is that really such a big deal in the real world of winter fishing?

Little background on where we fish, smaller lakes for pan fish most of the winter and 2 or 3 trips up to Lake of the Woods, Mille Lacs, or Winni.

By a Humminbird, there won't be any interference issues, and you can lock onto anywhere in the water column.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #115 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:02 PM »
and then the bottom lock on the Vex that everybody is talking about on this string

FYI the bottom lock zoom feature is only useful when in a boat, it has no advantage in ice conditions.  Whatever you decide, make sure it zooms, that's the best feature to have.  If you want to be buying the first and last flasher you will ever buy, I'd stay away from the FL-22, just because of it's depth restrictions, it is only set up to go 60'.  If you wanted to ever try deep water lakers (or anything else) sometime in the future, you'd be S.O.L.

Offline ah_long

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:23 AM »
+1

My bird is as much as a quality fishfinder/gps
This is just a cash grab, old tech modern prices

is it just me or are the prices for any of these units at least 3 times what they should be? I bought a matrix with dual screens, zoom, weather, and gps for my boat and it cost less than $300. I bought newer technology for half the price of ancient technology. All of you folks keep paying the high price for this stuff so they keep raising it to see how far they can take it. These units should be around $100 since the concept and technology has been developed and refined for decades already, The only changes in these systems (really) has been the battery, charger, and type of box they can be carried around in. oh yeah....and the zoom feature....whoop de doo - that doesn't justify the cost at all

now that my rant is over - I am still unsure which one to buy because everyone's experience and reviews are relatively the same for any unit. My concern now would be cost......I can't see paying $400 for a new system that may work as well as a $75 system from 10 years ago

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #117 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:08 PM »
do the ICE45 and 55 have zoom features - they don't say on the Humminbird website (it's not a very informative site anyway)
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline jcarroll

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go Gophers!
« Reply #118 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:10 PM »
SHOWDOWN 5.6 - love this fine piece of electronics!
When the going gets tough, the tough go ICE FISHING.

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:23 PM »

Automobiles have been around for over 100 years.  If what you are saying is true, they should be giving those away as well.  You get what you pay for.  Seriously, A Vex should last you well over 10 years.  Why would they lower the price?  They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.  Why dont car manufactures build cars that will go a million miles?  Because youd never need to buy a new one!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.