Author Topic: tip-up question  (Read 1628 times)

Offline *Wiggler*

• IceShanty Rookie
tip-up question
« on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Is there anything illegal (in Ontario) about using a tip-up that sets the hook for you? I've seen the automatic fisherman videos on youtube as well as seen a few home made "slammer" type tip-ups here on the forums. Apparently it's illegal in Minnesota but I didn't see anything in the Ontario regs.

Has anyone used these types of tip-ups? Any plans for homemade ones?

Thanks guys!!
 :tipup:

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: tip-up question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:26 PM »
I just checked the MNR website under gear restrictions and there is nothing that says you can't use these. Just 2 line limit and within 60m/197ft.
I do remember years ago coming across a piece of legislation that says you can't use a device that reels anything in for you. Setting the hook with a slammer type of tip-up is no different than a downrigger rod in summer using a release to allow the rod to whip up when a fish is on IMHO.
Maybe a personal visit to your local MNR and discussing it with the enforcement supervisor would be in order.
Regards,
Glen

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Nothing wrong with it according to MNR regs as far as I could see when I went looking a couple years back.  I made one of pine and it worked well that season on the 'eyes.  Don't know if I left it on the ice or it got stolen from my old wooden shanty but I'd take pics of it for you if I could. 

There are lots of homemade slammers built by members here, ya just gotta search for the right posts and copy what they did.

Don

Offline S.M.05

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 6 days of work, 1 day of trout.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2008, 11:06 AM »
 Dont know if you can find one on the shelves still but the In-Fisherman 2009 ice fishing mag has a whole section about them and they look pretty cool.
Might have a couple more of those trout that hit then spit before you reach them. :tipup:
If you cant ride it, drink it or bring home it to bed, it aint worth having!

Offline TRYZ2FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2008, 05:37 PM »
a little off topic but im just wondering what ya think about shore lunch. ya know if ya fry the fins up they taste just like patato chips. What lake are we fishin on tomorrow? how many fish are there in that lake ? you know why im gunna catch all the fish? Because its my hut.

see ya in the morning

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:26 PM »
I just made one recently
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=92011.0
haven't tried it yet
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline *Wiggler*

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:24 PM »
a little off topic but im just wondering what ya think about shore lunch. ya know if ya fry the fins up they taste just like patato chips. What lake are we fishin on tomorrow? how many fish are there in that lake ? you know why im gunna catch all the fish? Because its my hut.

see ya in the morning
Yep...see ya in the morning Cronzy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.