Author Topic: Winter Family Fishing weekend  (Read 1018 times)

Offline minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ahh memories !!!!
Winter Family Fishing weekend
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 07:11 PM »
I came across this news the other day!! Thought I would pass it on for those who may not have heard!!

a winter weekend where people can fish licence free.....

Events On February 24-25 Will Promote Safety On Ice

TORONTO — The Ontario government and the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters are encouraging anyone looking for some winter fun to get outdoors and drop a line during the first winter Ontario Family Fishing Weekend, Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay said today.
“Many Ontarians enjoy winter fishing as a sport and social activity, and parents and others across the province can take this opportunity to introduce children and young adults to the fun of fishing,” said Ramsay. “The winter family fishing weekend is a great time to learn from experienced anglers about fishing, safety and conservation.”

Canadian residents can fish licence-free in any public waters across Ontario on Saturday, February 24, and Sunday, February 25. Events offering free instruction on ice fishing and safety on ice will be held where ice conditions permit safe fishing opportunities – mostly in Northern Ontario.

Through a new partnership arrangement with the ministry, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) will be taking on more responsibility for organizing Ontario Family Fishing weekends.

“Ontario Family Fishing Weekend is the province's flagship outdoors event that works to promote recreational fishing. The original concept for Ontario Family Fishing Weekend was presented by the OFAH and we are pleased that the Ministry of Natural Resources has increased opportunities to participate in this outstanding program,” said OFAH President John Ford. “Ice fishing is good family fun, and the OFAH is proud to expand our partnership with the ministry and the outdoor industry to help introduce the new winter edition of Ontario Family Fishing Weekend.”

During the family fishing weekend, anglers must follow the conservation licence limits set out in the 2005-2006 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary, which is in effect until future notice. Information on these limits will be available at each participating site.

“Taking part in outdoor activities such as fishing raises people’s awareness of the environment,” said Ramsay. “We look forward to working with the federation in the future on more fishing events to promote a conservation-based approach to recreational fishing.”

For more information on the Ontario Family Fishing Weekend, or if your organization would like to host an event, visit www.familyfishingweeke nd.com.
FOR MORE INFORMATION

Media Enquiries

Anne-Marie Flanagan
Minister’s Office
416-327-0654

Jolanta Kowalski
Communications Services Branch
416-314-2106

Robert Pye
OFAH
Communications Coordinator
705-748-6324, Ext. 267
General Enquiries

Natural Resources Information Centre
1-800-667-1940
TTY 1-866-686-6072 (Hearing Impaired)

Minnow

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Winter Family Fishing weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:34 PM »
I think it is great that they are dedicating an ice fishing day. I hope they can continue doing more for fishing and ice fishing. Nothing better than promoting one of our greatest resources.

Robin

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:44 PM »
That's the first that I have seen of that but I'm glad to see it.Maybe A few more people will get to see what it is that gets us out on the ice every year and the thrill of seeing a flag go off.

If you figure the cost to ski or sled every winter ie; ski passes,equipment or snowmobile,trailpass,insurance ect.
Ice fishing can be a cheap way to get outdoors and enjoy the winter.Tell the kids to put down the video game and go see where the fun is really at.
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline Higgsy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:29 PM »
thanks for info. minnow. I'll send this to my dutch friend that's to cheap to buy a licence. LOL.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.