Author Topic: Wolf Lake ice  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
Wolf Lake ice
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:46 PM »
Hey everybody, been gone a long time.  Anybody happen too know what the ice is like on wolf lake in Westport?

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wolf Lake ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:41 AM »
Lee Bay was 6-8 Before the cold snap. The corners by the highway I haven't checked since the cold snap. Was very spotty before, people been fishing up there for a few weeks now. Anywhere there was snow before the snap was real bad. Check as you go.

Offline other_robin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:07 AM »
I've fished the southernmost end right near the road.
Ice is 6 inches near shore or more. Where there is snow there is some double layered ice, it's not great.
I couldn't get across the lake as the ice quality in the center wasn't good enough for me.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.  Guess I'll be waiting a while to get to where I wanna go out there.

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Gypsy,

Heard yesterday there has been people travelling the lake in vehicles. Know the ice was very inconsistent a week ago. Has been sleds/bikes out for a bit now as well.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Gypsy,

Heard yesterday there has been people travelling the lake in vehicles. Know the ice was very inconsistent a week ago. Has been sleds/bikes out for a bit now as well.

Was out there couple weeks ago at the beginning of the thaw.  Long ass walk but got to my closest spot.  2 pickerel and 4 ling wasn't a bad afternoon.  9-13" of ice but after this cold I think you could get a vehicle out there.

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Any size to anything? Heard they have been pounding the pickerel out there. Lots in the slot as well.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Any size to anything? Heard they have been pounding the pickerel out there. Lots in the slot as well.

We got 2 literally right on the slot and one about 12.5" the smallest ling was bout a pound, biggest was 4 or so.

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:33 PM »
That's pretty good!

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Not bad.  I've noticed over the last couple years Wolfe isn't a lake for big ling.  I prefer em 3+ pounds for ease of cleaning.  Same as pike if they're under 4 pounds I'm not gonna bother keeping and cleaning them.  Was on a different lake the other night and got a 6 pound ling, that's more the average for that lake is though.

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Only ever had ling the once. Wasn't too bad in all honesty. There's some big pike in wolfe as well just have to find them. Too small you waste half the fish by the time you get the y bones out of them.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Only ever had ling the once. Wasn't too bad in all honesty. There's some big pike in wolfe as well just have to find them. Too small you waste half the fish by the time you get the y bones out of them.

Ling is amazing eats!  I have sort of idea where there could be pike on wolfe.  Found a good green weed bed along a drop off last year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.