Author Topic: South Bass ?  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Eye Mark

• IceShanty Rookie
South Bass ?
« on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Was wondering? Is it possible to walk out and get to fish on South Bass Island. Was thinking about planning a trip next month. With flying over and cost of guide ,might be hard to swing. I know that you cannot bring much on plane but would just bring bare minimum. Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline forkzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: South Bass ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:26 PM »
It's open water from Catawba to the island. You'd need a boat.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:47 PM »
I don't think fork understood your ? YES you can walk out from the ramp..After landing get a taxi to take you down,then out you go...You only need 300 yrds or so...I heard 2 guys walked out today...They still have 7-10 but its soft...Im gonna wait a few more days so I can use my quad....cheers    greg

Offline Eye Mark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:40 AM »
Ok Thanks is  there anywhere else to stay in winter on south bass? Also I know you can’t bring much on plane. What can I get away with. Also is bait available on the island? I am trying to gather as much info as possible  Thanks in advance

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Headed up today to fish sun&mon..Will post on tues morn ice cond,fishin ect...cheers greg

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Looking forward to your report.  I may be there in wed.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:56 AM »
And good luck

Offline rsylak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Will be up there Wednesday-Sunday this week. will post results. Buddies living there telling me ice is safe and they're getting limits on walleye.. Best bite at 4-6pm. And shout out to Greg for helping me and my son out last time we were up.....Sky.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2018, 03:52 AM »
Are you guys flying out to the island?

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Just back from the island..Fished sun and mon...Sun was a tough day anly kept 3..All males 2-4 lbs..The current was a bit of a problem as well.. the ice is in good shape with a good trail out...Many huts from the west shore all the way to rattle...I fished half way out...Mon was a much different story..I got set-up at 8:15 and at 8:30 I had a limit..Thats my personal best...They bit like that till 9:00 and then it slowed a little..I cought around 30 or so and quit at 2:00...The water is good and clear and things should improve with more and more females comin west...I had a good 11in of ice both places I fished and it should be better by this weekend...Cant wait    Cheers   greg.....

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Death in the family so no report this week..Good luck to everyone goin out...Be safe    greg

Offline rsylak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Sorry to hear that Greg. Had a nice time talking to you at the Squirrel. Will look for those red hooks. Most islanders are putting out their shanties after the freeze. I'll be up again to fish during the week in 2 weeks. Will post results. ODNR was out in full force yesterday and probably today.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that Greg. Had a nice time talking to you at the Squirrel. Will look for those red hooks. Most islanders are putting out their shanties after the freeze. I'll be up again to fish during the week in 2 weeks. Will post results. ODNR was out in full force yesterday and probably today.
[/quote

Look at date of post...maybe you did, if so, disregard.

Offline rsylak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Did not notice date of Greg's post. I was up there with him at the Squirrel this past weekend. He slammed em similarly to what he posted a year ago. Ice was the same 10-11 inches. Fooled me. I was up working on my quad and shanty. Greg kindly gives me tips and pointers.

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Hea man,good to hear from ya..Ill be goin back up sat eve..Should be warmer at least..Im lookin forward to it..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.