The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: St. Joseph County, MI. Anywhere w/ice yet?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
St. Joseph County, MI. Anywhere w/ice yet?
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Just curious if anyone knew if St. Joseph County or possibly anywhere in Kalamazoo County had any ice yet... I am stoked about getting out, but wanted to check first to see if anyone knew of anything. Anyways, let me know. Thanks!

Chris...

Offline GILLIN1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: St. Joseph County, MI. Anywhere w/ice yet?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 05:59 PM »
I was there yesterday and checked out Corey Lake.  The small part by the public access was frozen over but not good enough to walk on.  The main part of the lake was still open. It looks like it's still going to be a while before we get on.  Harwood across from Corey is still open. 

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007, 06:06 PM »
Yeah, I fished that area a lot last year. I never did have any luck at Corey, most of my luck actually came from Prairie Lake in Sturgis... Got into a couple of nice walleye at Klinger, but that is about it... Keep me informed though with Corey when it freezes. Living now in Portage(Used to live off of Coon Hollow), then I just don't always have a chance to get thereto check it out unless I have a service call out that way or something for a boat or sled...

Thanks for the update!

Offline Slipperyjack47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:17 PM »
There is a Santa Clause after all................... ..I been fishing for a few days on the boat channels on Portage lake known as Klines Resort. Ice is  2 inches and 4 in spots. The fishing has been tough but better than no fishing. The only other area that might have safe ice is Union lake in the back bay, maybe some decent fish there too, thats where I'll be this weekend. Good luck and really really be careful out there guys and gals

Offline northchain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:31 PM »
Slip, is that Union Lake near Union City?  Since it is shallow, I expect it would freeze early, but have never fished it.

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:16 AM »
hahaha, I know that channel really well there at Kline's Resort on Portage Lake... I fished a little with Kal-Valley this year, and I got one of my biggest bass out of that channel... Anyways, where in the channel does it have 4 inches??? Let me know some updates on the channel. Is there a good way to get on it w/out trespassing on someone's lawn? Please let me know. :)

Chris...

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:18 AM »
UPDATE: Prairie Lake just outside of Sturgis has had a few shanties on it already... I drove by there today, and I saw one shanty off of the access w/2 tipups. They were over on the right hand corner of the access... I really never trust the ice unless i see 10 people or so out there... Keep me updated on those lakes! :) Also, always looking for some buddies to do some fishing with. :)

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:17 AM »
I just got word that Prairie Lake in Sturgis has "Enough" ice to stand on, about 2 1/2", although you have to track through a woods a good 50-75 ft. just to get to a spot to walk into it... I think that lake is going to have to wait for a little bit for me...

Chris...

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:35 PM »
Chris,.....I am just dying :%$#!: to get out.  If you don't mind, where does people park to get on Prairie?  It doesn't sound like it is at a public access if you got to walk through the woods.  If you don't want to divulge information that is fine too.  I understand..
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline sturgisiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2007, 10:32 PM »
They park at the public access but there is about 3 or 4 feet between land and ice at the ramp so they are walking down a trail to the south and getting on. They were catching alot of gills today when i stopped but i am not going out on 2 inches of ice over 23 feet of water.

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:46 AM »
Yeah, Prairie Lake is right off of M-66, about 4 miles outside of Sturgis. Yeah, like Charlie said, the only reason people had to walk through the woods is due to the spot that was open at thwe access. Still, I wouldn't personally trust it though until it is thicker and that spot is frozen. Give it a week or so and it will be good to go... Other than that, I heard Corey Lake has 3-4 inches on it.

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:12 PM »
UPDATE: I checked it out at Prairie today, and it was a shock... 4 1/2" of ice on it. TONS of vehicles were through there as I could see the numerous tracks. It looked as if people had been through there the whole time... Nobody was there when I went, but yeah... Besides that, I didn't try to fish it, got this phobia of fishing by myself... Anyways, it is cool though, I went out about half way across the lake and it was fine...

Chris...

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:23 AM »
UPDATE:

ok, here is what I have...

Portage Lake/Kline's Resort - The Resort area in the bay has 5-6 inches on it, all the way across the bay, ANYWHERE. At night approx. 6:00pm last night I went out and tore up the bluegill. Once 7:00pm hit, nothing... Dead as can be. Around 10:30pm, we drove over to the access, and walked out a way till about 10 ft. of water... Had a couple quick hits, but nothing to get excited about.

Prairie Lake, Sturgis, MI. - I drove on down to Prairie Lake in Sturgis, MI. Ice was great, although didn't fish it as I forgot to replace the blades on my auger. Anyways, I checked the holes that people had previously fished, and there was roughly 5 inches of SOLID ice around the access... When I was there, I did see a guy with a decent pike in the back of his truck...

Chris...

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2007, 10:20 AM »
Well, I went to Sand Lake in Nottawa last night after Prairie, etc... Did ok... Got prolly 7 or 8 decent crappies and prolly 15 gills...

Looks as if fishing is done for down this way though at least until later december or early January. It is 46 degrees here in Portage...

Chris...

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2007, 10:44 AM »
yeah hate to say it, but looks like my ice fishing is done until next weekend.  ice will be very iffy going into tonight and sunday.  had plans to go out sunday, but for safety reasons it's called off.  hey, it's going to get cold again starting sunday night.  ice will be fine next weekend.  actually after this brief warm spell, i think it will help ice growth because we won't have all this snow on the ice.  hopefully the weather stays cold and we all can be on the ice again next weekend. :thumbsup:
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:18 PM »
I totally agree... Right now on a lot of the ice I have fished, then it has "Double Layers" of ice, which is #1, a pain to drill through with a crappy auger, and #2, will stabilize it a little. Plus I am sick of seeing all of those frozen foot steps...

Chris...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.