Author Topic: Cascade conditions on par as previous years?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Crazy4moosehunting

• IceShanty Rookie
Cascade conditions on par as previous years?
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Hey guys. Just over a month till the long drive south to  experience cascade perch fishery. Have read back in the forums on ice conditions and fishing but hard to compare them. So what I guess what I'm getting at is the ice conditions this year on par with past years ? And is the fishing on par?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Cascade conditions on par as previous years?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:48 PM »
You may get good answers at this link?    Good luck.     ;)2

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=290948.600

You may want to show a little pride by completing your profile with your location.     :clap:

Tom

Offline Crazy4moosehunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Thanks. As I had said I've read the older posts and threads on cascade. Older threads say that cascade will get 18-20" of ice a year. With the ice fishing season done sometime beginning of march. Right now everyone is posting around 10" of ice. So is this a normal winter for the area ?

We have a house booked for feb. 14-19. It's a 17 hr drive non stop. Just hoping that the conditions are normal there and that we're still going to be able to make the trip with safe ice

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Normal has never happened, in the 10 years I have been fishing Cascade. We get winters with little snow, with feet of snow, sub zero, and shirt sleeve days in any month. I am not sure why it matters, but this is not the coldest, warmest, least or most snow we have had. I would put it on the warm side, and snow on the low side. Fishing pressure has been the highest I have seen, and catching, for me, has dropped off lately, with a higher proportion of small fish. It still varies a lot- I had big days at first ice.
When we have weeks without snow on the ice, like this year to date, we seem to get pressure ridges and buckles in the ice, which is when people fall through. In the next week, I expect over a foot of snow on the ice, and hopefully colder temperatures at night, which should build some ice.
From this far out, I don't think you can guarantee anything. The ice is thin enough that a February thaw could end the season early.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.