Author Topic: Ice Auger question  (Read 3464 times)

Offline clearwaterb

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger question
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:57 PM »
looking to buy a new one this year as my other one broke a crankshaft and is basically useless.  I had another brand and don't want to buy one of them again.  I have been looking at the Eskimo Mako, 43cc.  My question is what would most people like for the hole size, the 8 or 10 inch.  Fishing mostly Cascade.  It seems the people that have this brand are pretty happy.

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Auger question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:13 PM »
I have the 43 mako, i love it. Always been an easy start. Replacement parts are pretty easy to get, friend pulled too long a stroke on the cord and broke it, gas tank did wind up leaking after about 6 years, with parts it was easy to fix. I have both an 8” and 10” auger. I typically use 8”, got the ten inch for going to fish the gorge in Wyoming for the macs. Around here 8” is plenty big enough. Also keep in mind if you’re gonna take little ones with you. My grand daughter could fit through a 10” hole. The only thing about it is its a 2 stroke, the 4 stroke would be nice, so you don’t have to mix oil and gas. Hope this helps.
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Eight inch for me also.  Small enough for better little kid safety and large enough to land fish.

My Strikemaster Lazer Mag is 20+ years old and going strong.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:07 PM »
I have the mako m43. I would just get an 8 inch unless your really catching some monster fish. I've pulled plenty of 4 lb fish pretty easy. I watched a guy pull a 12 lb brown trout through an 8 inch hole.
My mako starts easy and runs great. The only thing is my gas tank also leaked. To buy the fuel line and grommet its about $10 for a whole new fuel tank it was $25 ish I think. I read a bunch online about it and it is a really common problem with the mako. I called mako and asked them what to do about it. They said "at the end of the season rinse it with water and then let it air dry." I don't think I will do that. I will probably just run the gas out, and maybe not tighten the lid down as much. The lady I talked to said that it leaks gas because the tank expands and contracts a lot and that the grommet loosens up. And I know the fuel line was cracked as well. I asked her if I was just going to have to buy a new tank in a few years again. And her response was "we are always trying to improve the quality of our stuff."

In general its a great auger and works awesome, just the gas tank is a bad design and mine is only 2 years old. I think my next auger will be a hand drill/auger combo.....in 20 years when this thing goes kaput, unless I have to replace the tank again in 2 years.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:21 PM »
I have an 8" auger and wouldn't get a 10" because a 10" hole is big enough for a kid to fall through.  I know someone's saying the parent's or guardian needs to what the kids but those of us know kids can get into something in no time flat.  Some of the places I fish people bring their kids and I'm not willing to take the slightest chance of that happening.  I couldn't imagine the thought of that from a parent's or the horror a child would go through if they fell through a hole and couldn't get out.  If I had a 10" auger and that happened in a hole I drilled I'd go nuts.  Beyond that a most adults' feet could fit into a 10" hole and if someone did they could get hurt pretty bad. Besides that I never caught or saw a fish caught that didn't fit through an 8" hole.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:52 PM »
I use a 10 " auger . Have 8 daughter's and 21 grandchildren.  Only once has someone stepped in a hole . Only up to there knee . My spare auger is 8 " and only use it when I have to . My 10" is 15 years old and gives me a little trouble  .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline SUSHI MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I use a Ryobi 18V Lithium drill/driver cordless drill with a Eskimo 6 inch bit and conversion kit.  Very portable and the hole is perfect for even the fattest perch.  The drill has to have some good torque and the cheaper cordless drills will not work. Mine has 600 In-lbs and I can get about 18 holes per a battery.  Search for the specs in the forum. It has been discussed in depth.  Maybe cheaper than a large Ice Auger. I also have a Mako Eskimo  with 10 inch bit and I rarely use it now, unless I go to McCall and fish for Lake Trout.

Thread about this: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347981.0
"A man's home is his castle....but his shanty is his sanctuary"

Offline rjd007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Currently run a lazer 10" and the only one that has stepped in the hole is me.  Would like to upgrade to the new strike-master lithium 40V in the 10" but they are basically sold out across the country.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:09 PM »
I run an 8" ION. The older guys I fish with are all going away from the 10" because of grandkids, and stepping into there own holes. The only person that know that prefers a 10" only ice fishes occasionally for panfish then spends most of is icetime after lake trout.

Offline TightLine21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:37 PM »
I run an Eskimo shark z51 8 inch, which I have found to be plenty big for around here. It is 4 years old and I have experienced gas leaking around the gas line groumet, just watch how you set it down. Just last week the clutch system on the pullstart broke, and after a little research I found that it seems to be a common problem.  Just ordered a replacement at $36, I hope it lasts longer than a season as many of the reports have stated. Up until the starter issue I have loved  it started most times on the first pull and runs great.

Offline Jager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:11 AM »
I have a Eskimo HC40 10 inch propane ice auger, works like a champ.  Used it the last two season, now it hangs in the garage while I sit in the sand box reading about ice fishing lol!

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:52 AM »
Thank you for your service .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline RustynMtnHome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:04 AM »
I purchased the New Strike-Master Lithium 40V, 10" model .. and it came with an extra battery.  Took it out for the first time this past weekend, and how nice it is to just push the button and have it start drilling a hole.  I am totally impressed with it, and look forward to not having to mix gas, adjust carbs and worry about it being so cold and having starting issues

Offline clearwaterb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:38 AM »
thanks for all of the input!!  Ordered a new 8 inch Mako.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:55 AM »
8" mako is a good auger, i own one and am very pleased with it. that said, i kinda wish i had gotten the 8" stingray instead, it's smaller and lighter weight, and since i walk to all my spots, weight is a significant concern

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:03 AM »
8" mako is a good auger, i own one and am very pleased with it. that said, i kinda wish i had gotten the 8" stingray instead, it's smaller and lighter weight, and since i walk to all my spots, weight is a significant concern
I'm going to pull your chain just a little PF13.  There ain't no sucha thing as a 'good' gas/propane auger.  To borrow from the Movie 'The Graduate' - One word; electric.   :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup:
 :icefish:
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:11 PM »
I may have to depend on you next week Bob cause that's all I'm bringing up is my Jiffy propane auger. :woot: :woot:

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Hey - what are friends for?  I usually charge $1 per hole drilled, but I'll give you the standard military discount of 10%.   :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:48 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot: :woot: and still have plenty of power in that milwaukee for the rest of the week. All drill power here and never turning back. Although I've got my eye on a mud mixer now. Dang prospector
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Although I've got my eye on a mud mixer now. Dang prospector.
I wondered what that thing was that he was using on Henry's Lake last month.  And he gets to write that stuff off as a business expense.  And that 9AH battery he had on it should drill holes for a week without a recharge.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I would think twice about getting another gas auger- most people don't take the time to keep a gas engine in good enough shape to be reliable at low temperatures, then there is the weight. When I started ice fishing, and even 5 years ago, power augers were the exception. In the midwest, we often had to drill 3 feet of ice, and sometimes ran out of auger and had to use a spud to finish. I brought out my perch auger from there- which was a 4 inch, and could drill as many holes as I wanted. I did stick a few Cascade jumbos in the hole, and so I bought a nils 4.5 inch, which has fit every perch I can catch through it. You can turn that one all day by hand, or any cordless drill will make quick work of all the holes you want. Spend the extra money on sharp blades- sharpen them if you can, replace if you can't.
 :tipup:

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:57 AM »
thanks for all of the input!!  Ordered a new 8 inch Mako.

My new 8" Mako M43 is wonderful! 

Hope you enjoy yours,
Bob

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Growing up as a kid in Northern Wis in the late 50s I use to cut holes with an ax or a home made chisel and we are talking 2 1/2 to 3 feet of ice was common so the improvements made since then have been a real help no matter what turns the auger blade. A little weight to an auger doesn't bother it helps an old fart like me stay In shape, just want to fish and enjoy the outdoors especially the Cascade area it so beautiful summer or winter.  :icefish:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I'm going to pull your chain just a little PF13.  There ain't no sucha thing as a 'good' gas/propane auger.  To borrow from the Movie 'The Graduate' - One word; electric.   :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup:
 :icefish:

honestly, i'm starting to feel that way myself. a gas auger is fantastic, and absolutely a step up from a hand auger. but with the advancements in electric augers and drill conversion kits these days, plus the warmer weather making for less ice, those electric augers are looking more and more appealing; the drill conversion kits even more so.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:46 AM »
If you get anything other than gas, remember that the hole diameter has a big effect on the energy (electric or arm power) to make a hole. It goes up as the square of the diameter.
If you take a 4 inch auger as the minimum,
4^2 =16- I have lost 2 cascade perch over the 2 years I used this, that got stuck in the hole. Probably 2.5 pounders.
I have a 4.5 inch nils, that would be 20.25, or about 25% more power, but the nils has a more efficient cutting head, so to my estimation, it uses the same as the 4 inch standard screw type auger
5inch - 25 is 56% more power than 4 inch- I use this all day with a 4 Ah Ridgid battery on a 1/2 inch hammer drill- I drill 40-50 holes without a problem if the ice is under a foot.
6 inch 36 is 125% more power than 4 inch- 2.25 times the energy per hole, so you get 44% of the holes per battery
8 inch is 4x the power of 4 inch
10 inch is 6.25X the power of 4 inch
12 inch is 9X the power of a 4 inch

This makes 6 inch the limit for an electric drill, in my opinion. You don't get many holes, the bit gets heavy, and it gets hard to hold on to the drill without a 2 handled grip attachment, which adds more weight. It also follows that the most efficient, smallest auger bit you can buy is more important than the best drill- batteries hold only so much energy, and the efficiencies are not that different between them.

I use the 5 inch auger for early ice, switch to the 4.5 inch nils when the ice approaches 2 feet, and take the 6 inch hand auger or 10 inch power out only when fishing for Mackinaw. If I had to get one for all, I would get a 6 inch K-drill, with a cordless drill. I have tried them, and you can use them easily without an adapter, and the plastic auger blades make for a lighter carry and no rust.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2018, 11:33 AM »

12 inch is 9X the power of a 4 inch

For those who read this and think "I want to fish through a 12 inch hole", keep in mind that 10 is the legal max for Idaho with the exception of Cisco fishing in Bear Lake.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:18 AM »
I have a 6" Strikemaster Lazer hand auger with the Clam plate/Milwaukee  drill for early ice and Strikemaster 8" Honda for everything else. Electric augers work great for a few holes or thin ice, but I prefer the reliability of the Honda. I just enjoyed a month in tropical Minnesota visiting family for the holidays and it was -24 for the morning lows! The Honda started cold on the 2nd or 3rd pull everytime. As far as size, I have pulled a 14.5 pound mac through an 8 inch hole...most of us aren't going to be targeting larger fish than this. However, if you do one could always drill 2 or three holes together for a larger hole. 4 stroke makes for easy maintenance as well, no mixing fuel/oil, drain and run out of fuel at end of season. New oil and check plug at the start, Fresh Non-ethanol premium only as with any small engine. No batteries to charge that never last as long as you hope and get worse with time and we wont even talk about speed in thick ice, no comparison. Strikemaster Honda 8" for the win.

Offline codeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:04 AM »
No way. The 4.5inch Nils auger with a good electric drill, and two of the larger batteries, will drill a hundred holes through 12inch ice, and do it quickly, like 5-6 seconds. I could have two drilled long before you even got a gas motor started. Plus, gas augers suck, they make way too much damn noise. Last year at cj, we hammered fish thurs and fri straight out from cottonwood. Even with a few others out there. But, it was quiet. come saturday, same location, tons and tons of people out there, zipping around on their stupid quads, and firing up augers. dont think 2 min went by all morning without hearing one somewhere. Guess what, nothing was biting for no body. Big Shocker lol.  Even though the three of us had caught a couple hundred fish each day the two previous days.  We packed up and hiked straight across to the far bank, away from everyone. Started hammering fish again. Difference?  It was quiet. After catching a couple hundred fish that afternoon, hiked back to cottonwood and didnt see anyone with more than about a dozen fish.  I personnally thnk youre doing your self, and everyone  else any where near you, a serious dis-service by firing up those noisy things right where you wanna fish. inmo

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:41 AM »
Eskimo owners with recoil problems you can buy practically the same recoil for 8 bucks on Amazon search e43 recoil. buy a couple and you'll never have to wait for parts. 

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:31 AM »
You make a valid point on the noise, but I usally drill in the dark, by the time the sun is up, most times Im already done drilling for the day. Besides, fishing isnt golf and people aren't always quiet. I have fished  on lakes with over 500 wheelhouses, 1 ton trucks, snowmobiles, atvs, kids screaming, dogs barking, music blasting etc. Caught lots of fish with noise and without. I like the idea of an electric auger, but real word conditions make the gas superior. The batteries are the weak point,  try to ice camp for a few days with no charger/generator, or simply forget to put the charger on, or just wait 1 year to see how many holes that battery will drill now, how about another year later...how many holes now. We all know batteries get worse with time and that is the biggest limiting factor for me. That and late season 30"+ ice, not sure how electric would stack up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.