Author Topic: Not to be rude, but............ I wanna say something.  (Read 8583 times)

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Not to be rude, but............ I wanna say something.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I was intentionally trying to stir the pot a bit. No good change usually comes about unless there is at least a little bit of conflict.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Ill add my 2 cents here...

When it comes to the great outdoors, there seems to be a mentality from some that there is too much of a limited resource, and that keeping information about locations, techniques, conditions, and such will mean more fish and critters for themselves. On the other hand, I believe in the 'more the merrier' philosophy... if you want to get all political, there is plenty of opposition out there from folks who would just as well like to see our hunting and fishing rights taken away all-to-gether. That is why I like to share my knowledge with every interested person (and some who are uninterested). The way I see it, the more folks I can encourage to get outside and participate in a wholesome activity like fishing or hunting, then that is one more person on my side of the debate. We also are up against a huge problem with our young people... it is hard enough to pull them away from their video games, but once you do, if they don't see immediate success on the water or in the field, they act like the whole affair is a waste of time. I am seriously worried that we are not passing on enough of a love for the outdoors for the next generation to give a hoot... and that will be a crying shame when there is no one else left to defend what we now hold dear.

So... what does that mean? Well, this year I didn't get to harvest my own deer, because I was too busy helping 3 other first time hunters harvest their deer... using my rifle. And I am perfectly OK with that. Im like most of you on here, and I don't have an incredible amount of free time. When it comes to fishing (or hunting), as you all know... it takes years and years to build up the skills, gear, and knowhow to be routinely successful in some areas. Ive recently been able to dedicate the time into figuring the kokanee trolling thing out with my boat, but I have spent a lot of time and money to get where I am with our local lakes... and yes, I am an open book to those around me about what I have learned. Ive taken a number of youth out who had never before had a chance to hook a koke. Last year was the first year I put some real time into really figuring out the perch fishing, and lucked out into finding CJ Strike froze. I didn't keep it a secret, and you can find some of my posts from last year on this forum. That said... do I remember to jump on the computer and post a fishing report everytime I make it out? Heck no, I have a life (and 6 kids) so sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I will say this, I have been the recipient of helpful tips and info over the years, whether it has been from tackle shops like Tackle Toms, the folks at sportsmans or Kokabow, or forums like these. As I consider myself to be relatively new to the successful side of catching vs just fishing, I freely admit that I have probably received a lot more advice than I have given. But, as I become more and more successful in my excursions, my ability to "pay it forward" is increasing.

So, thank you to all who are willing to share your knowledge freely. My apologies for those of us benefiting from your hard won knowledge who don't always reciprocate in kind. I hope you know that your efforts are not in vain, and that the better educated the masses will be, that means more folks out there who can share in our ideals in a safe and educated manner.

X2!  Nothing left to say Except some people can't drive 2 or 3 hours to report on ice...and that's been said.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Anyone that watched the fiasco on CJ Strike after the newspaper recommended fishing on it will probably be a little cautious giving out info.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Anyone that watched the fiasco on CJ Strike after the newspaper recommended fishing on it will probably be a little cautious giving out info.
tell us what happen ?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:42 PM »
I am here to talk about fishing. (Even though I know you guys lie like FISHERMEN!)
Not to talk about whether we should talk about fishing
or criticize those that do or do not talk about fishing.
Share what you want
Ask what you want
Believe the answers you get if you want.
I'm going fishing tomorrow!
Will post pictures of the 9 pound perch... unless he gets away.. or I can't figure out how...

:-)  :tipup:

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:06 PM »
I feel we are in the google generation now.
People are used to instant answers.
Want to know who sang an old song but can't remember? Google it!
What's a good recipe for a deep fried fish batter? Google it.
How do you fix a fishing pole or a flat tire? Google it!
Where is a good duck hunting pond in my area? Google it!
How's the ice and where are they biting? Google it!
Darn people won't give up the best fishing/hunting locations on these forums nowadays!  ;D
They are so mean! ;D :roflmao:
But I just want to catch some fish. Don't want your hot spot just one that consistently produces decent fish(kind of how I personally define a hot spot lol). Oh and it's only so I can take my kids. Honest! :roflmao:
I share some things but not everything.
If you are known to share I'll share some info with you.
But if it's your first post on a forum and your looking for exact GPS coordinates to a good fishing hole(seen it on another forum) I'm thinking that isn't going to get you far with me.
There are also things that are best shared via PM.
So I feel share if you want to or don't.
If you benefited from a share then do likewise and share back or give some tips or info on how you did.
I don't mind sharing with those who do likewise.
But for those who are all take and no give?
Forget about it!

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:13 PM »
They are so mean! ;D :roflmao:
Always an excuse why they cant do the work themselves.... :)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Packgoatguy,

Nicely said.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:49 PM »
I wish we could all sit down somewhere and hash this out.  It'll never happen, I know.  But this issue would be better discussed in person. Seems certain people are jaded.  I'm sorry for that.  I will do my best to help whenever someone asks.  Not just fishing, but anything.  Because that's what I believe is right and I truly enjoy helping.  I also believe that if someone mentioned taking kids, ie...have a good spot for them, somewhere under an hour away, whatever...they mentioned kids.  I personally don't know anyone that used kids as a ploy.  I've asked where to take my kids because there aren't a lot of places where I'm at.  And to be honest, I'm nervous about taking them on the ice for fear of the worst.  I'd like a piece where I could meet the guy who recommended the spot.  He could meet my kids. I'd cook him lunch on the ice.  I'm sorry, I'm ranting.  I'm not trying to call anyone out.  I just feel that life on the ice or in the woods would be even better than what it is now if we could all stick together and just try to understand where the other person is coming from.  Don't have to agree but neither does the other guy...i hope i see you all on the ice and we can all have some laughs together.  Take care guys
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline RustynMtnHome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:33 AM »
I want to thank anyone and everyone who has provided any input in this forum.  I am retired military and have lived in Idaho for 15 yrs now and have yet to do any ice fishing mostly because of the distance I have to travel.  While Stationed in Utah I went almost weekly because it was a short drive there ... and so much fun especially with friends ... and made many friends on the ice.

Well this year things are changing ... I have gone all out, bought a New Strikemaster 40V Electric Auger, Clam Ice Shelter, and some poles, working on making me a Smitty Sled, and some DIY Jaw Jackers.   I have decided to take those long trips .. but I will always make 2 days of it due to the distance.  Finding information here about the ice is priceless as I know I won't be making those 3 hr trips and find there isn't safe (safe is different to everyone) ice.

Will there be a big learning curve this year; yes there will be.  I will look through these forums for any information I can obtain, I will go back to last years post and see what worked then because there is a good chance the same will work this year. 

Thanks again for all the information that you have provided, and believe me I will post ice conditions and what worked and didn't work.  Will I post pictures, probably not as there seems to be to many comments on whether you released the fish ... why did you keep it .. etc .....

See you out on the ice ........... and hopefully we can have a chat and share some secrets on the ice

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Thanks for your service Rusty, I enjoyed my two tours at Mt. Home but retired from Hill AFB from the AF and then just retired from Hill as a Civil Service employee after 20 yrs service. I will be making a trip up to Cascade from 8-12 Jan. and another the middle of Feb. for 5 days. I'm not sure if CJ will freeze this year, after living both in Grandview and Mt. Home I have seen a few winters where it never froze hard enough to get on safe ice there. I like fishing CJ when it has enough ice, having relatives in MT. Home that I can stay with makes it nice.

Offline macman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Here! Here! We'll said. I feel very much the same way.  Do your own leg work and watch the weather. Learn what it takes and when there might be some fishable ice. I don't know how many times I've gone out  and turned around not fishing at all. But there have times when I'm the only one out  and the fishing was outstanding.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:44 AM »
My issue with posting ice or catch information is that the second you do especially early season. Every internet fisherman within 100 miles shows up because they didn’t want to do any legwork on their own. Now a quiet little 200 acre lake has a ton of people on it. This may be a jerk statement but it really grinds my gears when I get out and set up by 4 am for the daybreak bite and someone comes at first light a fires up a power auger less than 100 yards away.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:50 AM »
You are upset by someone setting up 100 yards away ? Two weeks ago we had a guy drill holes 18" from our holes . He was big and I am old . So I didn't say anything .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2017, 07:34 AM »
I guess I am curious as to why some people are on this site?  I would normally think its to learn whats going on at the lake.  Is the ice safe?  How thick is it?  Might even learn what they are biting on.  I guess some like to think there is a secret spot.  When it comes to ice fishing 99% of the people fishing will be within a couple hundred yards of the boat ramp or trail head.  You can generally see them from the parking lot.  So much for the secret.   Don't over think it.  Don't be an ass hole.

Offline Thinice61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:45 AM »
most people post just to brag and show pictures of their fish ,then complain if someone just wants an ice or road report I thought that was what this site was for helping fellow ice  fishermen better utilize what little free time some of us have

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:02 AM »
I’m planning a trip in the next day or two whether I see an ice report or not. I’ll be sure to write my own report when I do. I’m, personally, much more inclined to help a fellow angler out for many of the reasons already listed by others in this thread. When I moved back up to this area in 2013, I leaned heavily on the experience shared here and have always tried to reciprocate whenever possible. Good luck and be safe to all those who try the ice this weekend! Merry Christmas!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:40 AM »
I see this every year. Please don't take this as rude, but I feel I gotta say it.
First, I don't take it as rude at all.  But, I do wonder why you give what other people do so much focus.  You may have some limited control of those people in your inner circle (family & very close froends), but not so much with the other 99.999999% of the population.  I am reminded of the following saying when I see or read your kind of concern from other folks.

I don't mean any disrespect to you, but what other folks do is outside of your control sphere.  Letting it upset you will not change that fact and will only lead you to unhappiness in your life.  Let it go and move forward in your life.  I have found that this attitude has made my life much more enjoyable.  I have more than enough on my plate just worrying about wheather or not I'll catch me some perch on my next outing.   :thumbsup:

Tight lines to you this season.   :icefish:

:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Packgoatguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Well, i will share some info for some of the new folks on here: im out at Poison Cr right now with 5 kids on the ice (not much biting) but i am lovin my new nills auger. This thing cuts through the ice like butter... next time im leaving all my power augers at home!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:25 AM »
I think those who only come to the Iceshanty forums to learn where the ice is safe and where/what/when the fish are biting, your missing out big time!
I come here to learn techniqies for catching fish, reviews on equipment, tackle/rod making, comradery with fellow ice anglers, learn about good deals on ice equipment and where a good place to order from is, learn of new gear on the market, species specific information, the good jokes, etc.etc.
The last thing I need from this forum is ice reports and fishing spots.
Those are easy enough to acquire myself.
I guess I can see where a person traveling a long ways could really benefit from an ice report. But when it becomes the only thing you come here for well that's another issue.
I'm also sure there's lots of lurkers reading the forum just looking for fishing spots!
KasilofChrisN

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:14 PM »
I think those who only come to the Iceshanty forums to learn where the ice is safe and where/what/when the fish are biting, your missing out big time!
I come here to learn techniqies for catching fish, reviews on equipment, tackle/rod making, comradery with fellow ice anglers, learn about good deals on ice equipment and where a good place to order from is, learn of new gear on the market, species specific information, the good jokes, etc.etc.
The last thing I need from this forum is ice reports and fishing spots.
Those are easy enough to acquire myself.
I guess I can see where a person traveling a long ways could really benefit from an ice report. But when it becomes the only thing you come here for well that's another issue.
I'm also sure there's lots of lurkers reading the forum just looking for fishing spots!
nailed it!!that's why I'm here everything you just posted is why I'm here.reviews on equipment and techniques and talk icefishing.i never ask wheres the bite.thats something I enjoy figuring out myself.i give advice on equipment,tackle,bait and techniques but I don't drop lake names on the internet.maybe give a few spots thru pm.. I was shocked when my ol lady showed me a facebook page for icefishing and all it was  was trolls looking for specific spots when someone posted their success.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #51 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:34 PM »
X1000

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #52 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:41 PM »

Users Online

444 Guests, 192 Users

this equals 2 plus lurkers per user.

this means there are twice as many people willing to take than they are to share (for those who are willing to share). who knows who many actually share the real deal here in the open forums. personally, i keep that to pm's. on ice is is a whole different story. i teach them every thing i know and will fish right next to them so i can do just that and make new friends and enjoy friends already made.

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #53 on: Dec 24, 2017, 04:07 PM »
I get a big kick out of the folks in Idaho who don't like to share good fishing spots or what they are biting on. I grew up on a lake in Wisconsin. I have been ice fishing since 1960. We used to have more than 20x as many people fishing in the same area with hundreds of ice shanties in a relatively small area. Everyone out there shared bait, lures, food, conditions etc. And that was in an age of no cell phones, texting, or even internet. Seems sad some folks wont share what is working for them or an area that they have had good success, or even GPS coordinates. I have no idea why that attitude has become more common place. Things have sure changed. I don't understand it. But I am old school. I think if some of these folks went back to some of these lakes and saw how many fisherman fish near each other and share everything they might see things differently.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Things have sure changed. I don't understand it. But I am old school.

Rick, you can fish next to me and share my stuff, anytime.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Sharing via PM can be a good way to share.
But posting on the world wide web for all to see in many cases could see your favorite lake with a lot more anglers than you have seen before.
Regardless of which state your in.
I'm sure before the internet sharing was much easier.
It also only resulted in telling 1or 2 people whereas today in the same time frame by posting here you are telling 1 or 2 hundred people or more.
Now that's not to say I don't share.
I have taken forum friends and their kids on trips where they wanted to learn icefishing and I supplied everything including loaning a snowmachine.
They now own their own gear and enjoy the ice time.
But I personally showed them everything not posted the info here for all the world to learn exactly where I fish.
Just my style I guess.
KasilofChrisN

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:50 PM »
that's the thing.word back then traveled slowly.tell a bud and he might tell another and a few guys would know where the bite was.with internet thousands of guys that want a easy spot to go without doing leg work like we did back in the old days is not right in my book.jmo.if a guy is already out on the lake struggling to find fish I'm all for helping because hes out there trying not sitting on the couch waiting to catch wind of lake bite info.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #57 on: Dec 24, 2017, 05:55 PM »
nice to see people finally getting it....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #58 on: Dec 24, 2017, 06:05 PM »
If I want to be on the ice with 50 people I'll tell one person on the phone. If I want to be on a lake with a thousand people I'll post on the internet. I watch lakes get pounded to death here every winter due to the internet. The worst part is people bad mouth others for keeping information to themselves. Personally, I avoid crowds whenever possible.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #59 on: Dec 24, 2017, 06:09 PM »
The worst part is people bad mouth others for keeping information to themselves.
you noticed that to eh?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.