Author Topic: Help New To PIKE  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Help New To PIKE
« on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Hey Guys, Just wondering if you guys could tell me the best way to fish for our local Pike. I've never done it before, and just purchased some new tip ups from Blacksheep as well as steel leader set ups. I could really use some info on depth, location, bait, etc. I already have some fresh Perch in the 4-6" range. I though about trying Rose.  Thanks  :)

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Help New To PIKE
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. When does late season Pike start?

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:23 PM »
  Never fished pike in Idaho, but spent most of my life in northern Michigan fishing pike through the ice.  My favorite location to place tip-ups was near drop-offs.  Usually placed them on the shallow side and placed the bait 4-6ft down in 8 to 12ft of water.  Since you have to use dead fish in Idaho, I would recommend buying some smelt over using perch.  A trick we used to do was placing a nail up the anal vent to keep the fish suspended right-side up.

Good Luck!

Jim

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:10 AM »
Late season is Feb-March.

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Thanks Guys, Leaving right now for Rose. I'm taking the old lady for the first time. This should be fun. I will keep everyone posted. :)

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:50 AM »
I didn't think Rose had much pike in it?  I know the rest of the lakes up there did but they all have main Channels to the river.

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:58 PM »
There seems to be a few at Rose. I was talking to guy who was fishing near by, when he hooked up. It was 10-15 lbs. I saw its head at the hole. Then it through the hook. I ended up going to another lake. I still didn't catch one. A friend of mine helped me with my setup. He caught some today, and pointed out that I should decrease my bait size as well as turned me on to his leader setup using a single hook. I will try during the middle of the week when I still have the light to change things up.

Offline Big_Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Oh by the way. I do have to throw a thanks my buddies way. The Pike fillets you gave me tonight really hit the spot for dinner. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.