The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Hattie  (Read 12605 times)

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Hattie
« Reply #60 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:35 PM »
I think that there is a small tournament going on at Hattie this Saturday.  There is a fishing club at the university that does these every once in a while.  Last year they did one at North Crow.  It was 5 dollars to get in and the top prize was a 50 dollar gift certificate for somewhere i cant remember.  This just gives me an excuse to give hattie one last chance.
Zack

Thats cool i have never heard of uw putting on a derby. What time is it at?

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:37 PM »
From what ive heard it starts a 7 and goes till 4.  My roomate knows more than i do but im pretty sure you sign up on the spot in the morning.  We will be there regardless saturday morning.  Hopefull we can catch something as i got skunked again at hattie yesterday.
Zack

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:37 AM »
I think that there is a small tournament going on at Hattie this Saturday.  There is a fishing club at the university that does these every once in a while.  Last year they did one at North Crow.  It was 5 dollars to get in and the top prize was a 50 dollar gift certificate for somewhere i cant remember.  This just gives me an excuse to give hattie one last chance.
Zack

The derby has actually been postponed due to the rather frigid windchill out there.  I also know that the entry fee has been increased to $10 this year, although you get an AFS pint glass with your fee.  The derby is run by the local student sub-unit of the American Fisheries Society for its members and students at UW.  If you are not either, I would probably contact one of the officers to find out what their policy for "outsiders" is, because I really don't know.  Its usually just a pretty small, low-key shanty-less affair.

http://www.fisheries.org/units/co-wy/University%20of%20Wyoming%20Student%20Sub.htm

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:48 AM »
The fly shop here in Colorado told my nephew that you guys are HAMMERING the perch at Hattie!    Any truth to this?  You wouldnt be holdin out on us greenies, would ya? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:19 AM »
The fly shop here in Colorado told my nephew that you guys are HAMMERING the perch at Hattie!    Any truth to this?  You wouldnt be holdin out on us greenies, would ya? ;D

What are you talking about Slayerfish?  The last time I was out there we only caught one perch among the four of us.  It was definitely not the 40 fish you might have heard about ;)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:41 AM »
40?  Who said 40?   AHA-  You slipped up.  You meant "40" when you said "4". ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Ive been going to Hattie every sat for awhile and the most perch that i have caught has been 6.. i guess i dont know where they are at but i have been trying all over and diff dow.

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:25 PM »
Ive been going to Hattie every sat for awhile and the most perch that i have caught has been 6.. i guess i dont know where they are at but i have been trying all over and diff dow.

Basically, If I'm gonna fish Hattie, I want to be with a bunch of folks.  We spread out and fish for a bit.  If no fish, move on and do the same.  Eventually, one person runs into a school of them, and everybody else moves around that person and hammers them for a while.  That may be 15 min or hours...depends on how many there are and whether they feel like moving.  The perch in Hattie school and move around a lot.  I know people who fish the same holes all day in shanties and let them come to them, but I prefer to seek them out.  I've had some skunky days out there though.  The trout, as usual, cruise around, and you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Saturday update:
Slow day.  I caught one perch early and was done for the day.  Missed a few good bites from too much bs-ing and not minding my lines.  A few guys got skunked, a few caught a few of the yellow ones, and a couple bows were iced as well.
This was not a perch-slaying day.  :'(

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:55 PM »
I fished hattie sat with a buddy and we ended up keeping 30 perch between the 2 of us. We fished by the dam in 20-30 ftw. I finally found them i have been up there alot with only catching a few.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.