Author Topic: Ice Fishing for Sturgeon.....  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Huge IceHole

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing for Sturgeon.....
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Saw this in the Idaho Statesman this morning....Heard of folks doing this up in Canada.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/fishing/article125373074.html#navlink=Lead

Offline IDAHOPHANTOM

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing for Sturgeon.....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Very Cool!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:05 AM »
My dad and brother live in Boise/Meridian.  They have the pond reserved for Saturday.  The whole lake to themselves.  Sounds like fun!  I'll post pics when they send some.  Also my brother said he'd take video, so maybe I'll post a YouTube link also. 

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:32 AM »
As promised. Here's my dad landing a sturgeon at Schwartz pond.  My brother behind the camera, and his friend giving excellent commentary.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:21 PM »
Wow very fun and nice!  BTW I have met Jim Schwartz many times over the years at the Christmas shows where he sells his unique "Red Neck" novelty gifts and he has written five humorous books about fishing, life in Idaho and I have read all of them.  I had heard that he had opened his private pond for fishing for a fee, that looks like a blast and worth the investment!!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Yeah my dad was a bit hesitant about paying the 25 bucks, but said it was well worth it and he'll likely do it again.  Pretty cheap entertainment. 

Wow very fun and nice!  BTW I have met Jim Schwartz many times over the years at the Christmas shows where he sells his unique "Red Neck" novelty gifts and he has written five humorous books about fishing, life in Idaho and I have read all of them.  I had heard that he had opened his private pond for fishing for a fee, that looks like a blast and worth the investment!!

Offline Windriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:05 PM »
We fished it on Monday.  Had a great time. Jim Schwartz treated us really well.  I thought the chance to catch a nice sturgeon for $25 was well worth it.  Each of my kids caught at least one big one.  The biggest was over 5'. Five of us caught over 30. Sorry no pictures as the process on this sight seems really difficult. 
Windriver

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Just re-watched this video from last year...wow I wish I had made the time to book at the Schwartz Pond last winter. I would imagine with this year's winter being so unusually mild for this part of Idaho, that there were no ice fishing this season there??. Although catching a Sturgeon is on my bucket list...either open water or through the ice. I have met Jim Schwartz and read his funny books, sounds like he is a great host and I need to eventually book a fishing date out there sometime.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline FISHAMANIAC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:43 PM »
What's the fee for fishing the private pond?

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:32 PM »
$25 just to fish. $13 for bait and $10 for a rod.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:30 PM »
What's the fee for fishing the private pond?
You can e-mail Jim at  [email protected]  to book.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:45 PM »
We fished it on Monday.  Had a great time. Jim Schwartz treated us really well.  I thought the chance to catch a nice sturgeon for $25 was well worth it.  Each of my kids caught at least one big one.  The biggest was over 5'. Five of us caught over 30. Sorry no pictures as the process on this sight seems really difficult. 
Windriver
.      Photos are easy now, on bottom left, click add image to post, go to photo library, click on photo u want, and it will download to your post!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:35 AM »
I fished there this past june on my way home from Oregon. We had a blast and Jim is a great host. Just make sure if you plan on going you book the pond ahead of time. It gets booked often. We had lanned on stopping there on our way home from cascade in January but like was mentioned I dont think the mild winter had allowed good ice there then. You can also find the pond on facebook under Jim Schwartz parma and Jim updates it regulalry with the most recent catches
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.